MINI Woes

Started by Mudhen, July 12, 2013, 02:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

link to cheap good filters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401048468711?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(edit) started without stalling this morning.

Mudhen

AWESOME - thanks!   4.gif

First race after all my work is tomorrow...fingers crossed...my 2 hour drive up there is now going to be 3 due to a rain/snowstorm mess.  A few hours up, 8 or so runs, a few hours home.  What could go wrong?   ::)

Other things I did during this downtime was install a 'trackmat' over the uneven floor (and new shifter in there as well):

Made up some resistors for my passenger side airbag so hopefully the light will go out and I can get an inspection sticker (had to put the stock wheel back on, too):

Gotta love the look of the Quaife sitting there (transmission work stand is a great use for 10" tires):

Here's a fun one.  If you replace your inner balljoints while the subframe is out of the car - DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE HEADLIGHT LEVELLING SENSOR BACK ON BEFORE PUTTING THE SUBFRAME BACK IN!  50.gif

I ended up opening up the stupid bracket because it was either that or pulling the axle out to get the bolt removed.

Here's my final list for this project:
Quaife LSD
Valeo clutch kit
Diff bearings/oil
Guide tube
BSH lower engine mount
Rennline track mat
Megan Racing short shifter

input shaft seal
rear main seal
axle seals
oil cooler and 'o' rings
oil cooler coolant supply pipes
oil cooler hoses

Shift cable
Shift cable
Clips for above
Balljoints – both inners, OEM

Used steel rims & Blizzaks (can't have too many sets of rims...)

Next up...installing the race seats I got last month.   4.gif

Mudhen

Quote from: jeff10049 on January 11, 2016, 09:34:18 PM
link to cheap good filters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401048468711?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(edit) started without stalling this morning.

Replaced my filter this afternoon - now no starty!  The only thing I can think I did was yank up on the filter housing too much and pull something out underneath.  I watched the ModMini video for tips...nothing seemed out of the ordinary - fk!  Cranks and cranks...never fires.

How long did it take to build pressure back up????

jeff10049

Is it possible the lid o ring rolled out or broke and the pressure is just getting dumped back into the tank? I cycled the key twice and it fired I also pulled the shit out of my housing up out of the tank and nothing bad happened.
Can you hear the pump?

Also most say you need about 1/3 to 1/2 tank for it to properly purge.
Saw this on nam This is an excerpt from Pelican's filter DIY:
UPON INSTALLING NEW FILTER,
Take the upper cover and carefully line up the tabs on it (it can only go in one way) with the tabs on the lower filter housing. Take care to make sure the upper cover is directly seated on the filter element. If it isn't, the car WON'T START. We found this out the hard way after re-assembling the fuel system. Once the upper cover is seated, rotate it clockwise until it stops. This will lock it in place.

Jims5543

What he said, make sure you have a decent amount of gas in the tank. Try cycling the ignition on and off several times letting the fuel pump run until the safety turns it off, do not start.

On our BMW's it takes quite a few cycles on the ignition to get the pressure back up.

You did put the filter in the correct direction. Not sure if you can turn it backwards just throwing ideas out there.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Thanks guys.  I went out yesterday to see how much fuel was in the tank (when I was plotting this out previously I thought I'd wait until the tank was almost empty) - but it has 3/4 in it.

Filter doesn't have an in/out that I know of, can go either way (at least, according to the ModMini video).  The only piece I didn't like was the upper cover fitment.  I put the gasket in place on the housing first, slid the lid down into it and it was up just a tad - figured I'd use the ring to draw it down...maybe that was the problem.

About to tear it down, hopefully it's something obvious!

Mudhen

Bazinga, Jeff!  It was the lid 'o' ring.  Thinking back, I had started to put the cover in place before realizing I needed to put the fuel tank seal in place first - I bet when I pulled it out the 'o' ring came off - when I took it apart this time I had to fish it out from down around the filter.  It was all swollen up, had to use the old one.  Then it fired up instantly.   :-[  Thanks!

Next up, airbag light.  I bought a new tool so I can reset it but I get like 5 different codes that won't go away...even when I put my stock steering wheel and set the passenger bag in place.  Kind of thinking with all those codes it may be the control module.  Passenger seat belt tensioner, some resistance thing, etc.

I did get my check engine light out after 2 years or so.  Frickin' gas cap!  The code said that as a possible issue, but I didn't believe it...I always first jump to the conclusion that it's some huge issue.   :-[

Mudhen

It was nice and clean in there, too.  How the heck does a chipmunk or mouse get up inside there, anyway!