Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

I eluded to a possible mod that I'm going to be doing on the mini. Interior lights!! Not that big of a deal, right? A few wires and it's all done... right? WRONG! I'm going a step further. I want my new classic to have some modern features. I'm not a huge shop or a professional restorer, so it's all baby steps.

Here's the interior lights I'm installing. I put them in my truck and made the interior lights fade in and out. LED light strip in the footwell to add some more visibility. And it's all warm colored LED's so it has a more luxurious feel to it. Watch the video all the way to the end to see them fade off. It's only like 30 seconds but it feels like a year. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoNOxlqaMQ&list=UUp5tKTYadZXlvsz-rxpKEIw

I hope they turn out just as good on the mini. Might try different locations.

94touring

That's cool.  So they don't tap into the door sensor for the interior light?

Jims5543

Those LED's are pretty trick. Nice touch.

I had a 2001 Audi A6 that has floor lighting that could be adjusted. It was a neat feature.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

These ones that I made for my truck in the video don't. They tap into a signal wire from doors, a dash switch, door locks, alarm, and a couple other things. So they were significantly more complex. I had to built a PWM circuit that would allow them to fade and also turn on at full brightness if I chose to do so with the dash. I wanted dash control not just the doors as a trigger. There are instances at night when it's nice to use them for extra light without having to open the door.

Now on Tink it will be interesting. I will probably have to use more than one trigger source. But I will also still want a dash switch of some kind. And might take the dash lighting a bit further as well.

94touring

I'm just glad you're doing it and not asking me to lol.  Wiring up the spot lamps with variable positions was hard enough for me. 

Mudhen

Mood lighting...a little Barry playing...hanging with your girl at Make-Out Point...I get it.

Can't get enough of your love, baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw

MtyMous

So... would you be able to fill the hole where the current antenna is (front center of the roof) if I promised to bring a 6 pack of your favorite beer when I get the car? I currently have no plans to have a radio in the car, and if I do want one later, I've found some pretty trick digital interior antennas that wouldn't require an outside antenna.

94touring

Plug all holes,  got it.  I put an interior antenna behind the dash on flur too.

MtyMous

Well, not ALL holes. I still need windows and stuff. lol.

How did that in dash antenna work? I'm really not looking to use a radio at all. I enjoyed 4 years in that car with no radio, and I think I could keep on that course. But if I did something in the future it would be a hidden system that only has aux input. That's it. So I need to find something that fits that bill.

joltfreak

Nether of my minis have radios. If I wanted music, I just listened to my iPhone with some earbuds on
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Worked really simple.   Just stuff it behind the dash lol.

Mudhen

Back in high school when I put a radio in my '65 is how I learned the true meaning of positive ground. :-[

MtyMous

Haha. Yeah, I hardly listen to the really nice sound system in my truck. Plus Tink will likely have SC gears and a throaty exhaust venting a 1380. Probably won't be able to hear it anyway.

94touring

I had the stereo blasting in flur on my drive.  I like a nice stereo system.   I loved those torpedo style tweeters I found too. 

Chase

Hey buddy, Thanks so much introducing me to this place. Well you and Andrew haha. I always love your progress. I cant wait to see more. We shall talk soon.

MtyMous

No problem. I'm all about getting the word out about this place. Dan does awesome work. I try to share a lot of what's going on with Tink, but this is the best source here. Haha. Hopefully Dan can help you out with parts/panels as much as he helped out Andrew.

94touring

Thanks.  I have another crate on the way panels, let me know what you need. There will be lots done next week.   I'm finally better and I have lots of time off. 

94touring

Right rear corner repair completed.  Did a ton of fab. 

The setup to make the repair piece.

Then I made this. 

Welded into place.

Mudhen

MtyMous

94touring

Got the rear end done.  Fixed the other corner since it had a touch of rot too, and found an area in the center I didn't like so redid that.  Won't have a big nasty patch to look at now.  Started in on the front too with this grill.  Sure would have been nice if it had come with the gutter, but oh well.  Works but more grinding and welding than I would have preferred. 

MtyMous

This is looking really awesome, Dan. I'm really glad you're working on this. You do great work and you really go the extra mile. I'm confident that when I get my car back it will be rust free, straight, and done the right way. You really have an eye for the details.

94touring

Thanks man.  I try lol.  Now's the time to fix the little things like that boot patch or the overcill. 

94touring

I took yesterday off so I could put tires on my car and change the oil.  Got a lot tackled on the front today though.  Had to remove the whole corner and up into the door frame.  Cleaned out the inside, primed and painted, then put back together.  The cills had been replaced at one time and there were a couple layers of lip.  I removed all the excess metal in the process on the area I replaced.   

MtyMous

This makes me happy...

That inner panel on the A pillar (has 2 holes, 1 large and 1 small one right above the other) it looks pretty torn up. Was that replaced, or is there enough meat still on it to work with?