Butt welding floor panels

Started by snack, February 15, 2013, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snack

I have a question regarding butt welding floor panels.  After you tack weld the seam and finish stitching between the tack welds, do you repeat the same process on the reverse side of the seam?  And if you get any blow through on either side as you are stitching what is the best way to fill the holes.  What grit grinding wheel is best to clean up the stitches.  I am using .023 wire with argon c02.
Thanks,
Steve

94touring

I weld both sides as needed till it looks pretty enough to grind down with a basic grinding wheel.  After grinding I reweld any holes I find and grind again.  I run body filler over it and sand that down to fill any imperfections from the grinding wheel.   Plus if there is anything microscopic or pin sized, the body filler takes care of that. 

snack

Thanks Dan,
That is basically how I approached it.  I'm installing one of the M-Machine per-assembled inner/outer sills that go into the first groove in the floor.  Then I have  a small piece of the front floor to add. I got the outside welded need to get the insides next.

Steve

wevebeenhad

Same. The body filler is key as well as a primer sealer. Just in case there are micro holes. You will never see them until you have a puddle inside haha.

Mudhen

I bought this copper backer kit from Eastwood for help with blow through.  Works great as long as you can get to the other side:

snack

That backer tool looks  like a real good idea.