Mudhen

tsumini

South Fork CO snow melt to snow fall
Tyler TX all other times

John Gervais

Quote from: Mudhen on April 07, 2014, 03:44:36 PM
Quote from: bikewiz on April 07, 2014, 02:45:53 PM
Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts - nice!  I'm from northern MA...at least, that's what people from up north tell me.   ::)
Cool!  I grew up on the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border, now living in a suburb of Copenhagen, Denmark.  It's a long story, I'm a souvenir...   :-[
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Middle earth..... ;D

Well, middle USA anyway....

Overland Park, Kansas

And for all our Arkansas, Oklahoma, north Texas, Kansas and Missouri members, we're doing our twice annual Classic Mini Fun Run the weekend of November 5,6,7 and 8. Look for the thread on this forum and come join us! Location for this one will be Branson, Mo.

Dean and Sharon were part of our last one this past March.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Quote from: John Gervais on September 01, 2015, 05:00:47 PM
Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts - nice!  I'm from northern MA...at least, that's what people from up north tell me.   ::)
Cool!  I grew up on the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border, now living in a suburb of Copenhagen, Denmark.  It's a long story, I'm a souvenir...   :-[

Pulled Copenhagen up in Google maps - my kids loved the town just west of you...'middelfart'.  Guessing they'll laugh at that for weeks, like when we went down to Lime Rock last year and saw, 'Facchin Street'.   :-[

Wow would I love to go over there sometime.  I followed some of the routes across the ocean to Latvia - looks like all dirt roads, farm land, on the ocean?  Man...sign me up (as long as I can bring my MINI, US salary, and probably another million things I take for granted over here I suppose).

Jims5543

Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Cool!  I grew up on the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border, now living in a suburb of Copenhagen, Denmark.  It's a long story, I'm a souvenir...   :-[

No story too long when it sounds as fun as that. 
I will be back this evening with a double IPA in hand to see if you told the story.   ;D
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gasmini

Rose Hill Kansas (close to Wichita).

John Gervais

Quote from: Mudhen on September 02, 2015, 05:17:49 PM
Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Pulled Copenhagen up in Google maps - my kids loved the town just west of you...'middelfart'.  Guessing they'll laugh at that for weeks, like when we went down to Lime Rock last year and saw, 'Facchin Street'.   :-[

Wow would I love to go over there sometime.  I followed some of the routes across the ocean to Latvia - looks like all dirt roads, farm land, on the ocean?  Man...sign me up (as long as I can bring my MINI, US salary, and probably another million things I take for granted over here I suppose).

It sounds like your kids would love a roadtrip!  For our amusement, the authorities place speed warning signs here and there...  I'll never get used to it - been here around 18 years now and still giggle a bit when I see them.

Ok - the short version of the story -

I moved from MA to AZ with the military - was stationed at Ft. Huachuca for a while and then moved to Tucson where I worked and eventually bought into a small hearing aid clinic.  One of our suppliers decided to start an American subsidiary and sent a charming girl to Chicago to get an office set up and get things rolling. 

Occasionally, I'd call to order components or ask for samples for the prototypes I was working on, and we'd get to chatting.  The telephone calls became more friendly than simply "Will you send me some samples?" or "I ordered 2 weeks ago, where are they?"  She mentioned that she was only in the U.S. for a 2-year stint and would be travelling back to Denmark when her time was over. 

So, we decided to meet someday - maybe at a convention, maybe at a seminar or some other event, but it never happened.  Knowing that the clock was ticking, I sent her a 1" clipping from the phone book picture of our office staff, complete with little penned arrow pointing at my pixels, a plane ticket and hotel room reservation number with an invitation to visit the Grand Canyon before she left for Denmark.

She took the chance, flew out to Phoenix, I picked her up in my Suzuki Sidekick (2" suspension lift, header, 33" tires, bikini top (no, not me...) - yeah, she was impressed...) and we spent the afternoon walking around the antique shops.

Took her to dinner, dropped her off at her hotel, I went home and picked her up bright and early for our trip to the canyon.  A few days on the road, visited Sedona and Flagstaff, took pictures of pretty much every rock and cactus and put her on a plane back to Chicago 4 days later.

She flew out several times during the next few weeks, we picked up our marriage licence at the Tucson prison (the only government office that was open at night - really spooky place, middle of nowhere, and pitch black at night) got married at the Tucson courthouse 7 weeks after our first date/kidnapping, I sold my car, gave up the guest house I was living in, packed a U-Haul truck and drove to Chicago, consolidated our households and moved over here.

I'll simply say that it's not like the brochure - wouldn't do it again.  Sure, I'd club her and drag her off again (she's cool, albeit a bit like Hyacinth Bucket), but next time to a cave in the U.S., not here.

- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

Oh, and another things the kids would have liked - though I never saw them. 

This was in 2006:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5zxx6_speed-control-bikini-bandits-danish_news 
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

So, shorter story, you turned into a boy toy?   ;D

Amazingly cool story, I LOVE spontaneity and that good people is the epitome of spontaneity.

Well played sir.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Wow, that's a GREAT story!!   4.gif

John Gervais

Quote from: Jims5543 on September 04, 2015, 01:49:28 PM
So, shorter story, you turned into a boy toy?   ;D

Amazingly cool story, I LOVE spontaneity and that good people is the epitome of spontaneity.

Well played sir.

Gee, I never considered myself a boy toy!  Cool!  (though now I'm gonna need to work on my tan, get a new hairstyle and some baggy shorts...)
- Pave the Bay -

SoCalMiniFan

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

MiniDave

I used to live there...in Bay Ho. Where in SAndy Eggo are you?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

TJF

Oak Island, NC for me. Bought my Mini when I lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, then moved with it to Alabama for a couple years, then up to Minnesota for another couple years, now been down here for just about two years, but not planning on leaving.

John Gervais

Alabama to Minnesota - wow, how was that, a bit of culture shock?
- Pave the Bay -

Air2air

I'm in Silicon valley, Belmont california 20 mins south of San Fran.  Californians are a bunch of Commies.  Don't trust us, and don't support any federal bailouts of the morons who run our government.
Sorry, Carly Fiorina has got me on a roll.

TJF

Quote from: John Gervais on September 17, 2015, 07:15:57 PM
Alabama to Minnesota - wow, how was that, a bit of culture shock?

Ooooh ya, dontchya know.

Besides the obvious difference in climate, the other difference was that people in Alabama know they talk funny.

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: MiniDave on September 17, 2015, 01:20:40 PM
I used to live there...in Bay Ho. Where in SAndy Eggo are you?

I'm in South Park/Golden Hill area.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

LilDrunkenSmurf

I'm in Canadia land. Specifically of the Calgary variety.

Armycook

Jims5543

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on September 18, 2015, 10:38:32 AM
I'm in Canadia land. Specifically of the Calgary variety.

Tonight I feel Canadian, I just used this.

Hercplt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

This is likely to change at a moments notice, being in the Canadian Air Force.... but for now... Ottawa!
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

pbraun

Southport, North Carolina - on the East Coast!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )