~ ~ Customizing ideas ~ ~

Started by batman1usa, April 01, 2009, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batman1usa

anyone have any customizing done on their mini?  You know your own little touch of class.

Was kicking around a few ideas...  sshhh don't tell my wife it's a surprise if I decide to do it.

smooth seams??  anyone done it?  pros/cons

Frenching in a third brake light.  Thinking of incorporating a little Bini on the mini.

Frenching in the fuel filler.  This is something I think I am going to do with a lid opening switch.  Anyone done it?  My brother in law did it on his coupe.

Anyone have any little special things they've done when rebuilding?  Please share.

JD

P.S. Sanded the 75mini for about 7 hours today.  Is green no more.  Tomorrow sand blast the hard to reach areas.

94touring

Any lucks uploading pics yet?  I'd like to see your sanding!

Not a fan of seamless minis, as there can be issues with structural stability. 

joltfreak

I've de-seamed my mini. I also shaved my door handles, boot, rear side windows plus a bunch of other stuff too....i'll post some pics later.
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

batman1usa

Quote from: 94touring on April 01, 2009, 08:56:12 PM
Any lucks uploading pics yet?  I'd like to see your sanding!

Not a fan of seamless minis, as there can be issues with structural stability. 

No luck uploading, I tried 10 last night and it looks like it's finished but then just sits and thinks.  Will have to put them all to photobucket

94touring

94touring

I just put a new gallery in the forum just cause of you, haha.  This had better work for you.   ;D

joltfreak

joltfreak

joltfreak

94touring

joltfreak

notabmw

Electric drive. 

I am in the begining stages of designing an all electric drive system for my Pickup.

94touring

Quote from: notabmw on April 16, 2009, 01:10:26 PM
Electric drive. 

I am in the begining stages of designing an all electric drive system for my Pickup.

Do explain!

joltfreak

Quote from: 94touring on April 16, 2009, 10:38:36 PM
Electric drive. 

Do explain!

with pics!!

notabmw

Quote from: 94touring on April 16, 2009, 10:38:36 PM
Electric drive. 

Do explain!

My plan is to have a battery powered car.  No gas engine.
No pics yet Tamer..just in the design stage now.  I will call you when I have something to show... you can see it in person.

The concept is not new, but the mini drive train poses very interesting challenges.  I am going for a clutched system because the
direct drive method can't optimise the motor sweet spots.  The clutch re-configuration is the biggest challenge.   I am getting help on that side of the project from Don Sobering (one of the best mini mechanics this side of the world)... If it works the way I want, I may offer the motor adaptor as a kit.

MD-IN-UK

I'm a painter, can you tell?

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

94touring

notabmw

MD-IN-UK

notabmw, as you can see by my snaps, I was lazy and only striped the boot lid. I planned on the whole stripe like you did, but got nuts with the tape and decided to do ghost checkers instead and didn't want any alignment issues ( read lazy ). I dig yours too....
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

notabmw

Quote from: MD-IN-UK on April 24, 2009, 07:30:47 AM
notabmw, as you can see by my snaps, I was lazy and only striped the boot lid. I planned on the whole stripe like you did, but got nuts with the tape and decided to do ghost checkers instead and didn't want any alignment issues ( read lazy ). I dig yours too....
Thanks... but I can not take the credit for the work..Unlike you I am body work challenged and paid a paint shop to do the work.  The stripes are painted and feathered and then the whole car was clear coated for a nice smooth finish... I like the fact that you can't feal the stripes..

joltfreak

heres mine with the race wheels on....looks bad ass!:

MD-IN-UK

The flat black makes it look pretty scary too.