Any tips on lightened flywheels

Started by 94touring, October 17, 2010, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Anyone running a light flywheel or can give some insight on the subject for a mini?

danotje

I have one mated to a 1275 Metro engine. I'm right around 80 hp according to Peter Baldwin--great guy I met in the UK who used to race Miglias and has a rolling road. The 998 with stock flywheel was peppy enough, but the extra torque of the 1275 coupled with the lighter flywheel really made a huge difference in the overall feel of the car. What are you looking for exactly?

94touring

Well I figure it would be a good upgrade while I have the engine out and rebuilding things.  I've had lightened flywheels on other cars with good results but wasn't sure the best approach with the mini.  Wasn't sure if one weight was better vs another.  Not looking for something thats going to be difficult to drive and annoying but want to take peak advantage of the weight reduction. 

danotje

I can't remember what weight I have--12 lb maybe? Anyway, it isn't too radical, just one of the standard flywheels you see at Mini Sport/Mini Spares. The car idles well and has great driveability. I'd definitely do it again. The engine seems more responsive with it.

joltfreak

just be sure you great a good one. i've heard that some of the lower quality ones have been known to crack or wrap.
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Think you been drinking again...great a good one and crack or wrap, lol.  Anyways, is their a particular brand or specific flywheel people have better luck with?

joltfreak

LOL!!!
it was late and i was half asleep when i was typing that post ;D
check out the official website for updates!!!!!