Mini Mania & Seven

Started by tmsmini, July 02, 2022, 02:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Riley

So I assume that means prices will go up accordingly?  :-[

94touring

Hadn't heard that but I'm going to assume bad for prices.

MiniDave

Aren't both places just a few miles from each other? I never understood how that business model worked. And didn't Jack used to work for Don Racine way back when? The new company will be 7 Mania??  ;D

Now with Victoria British gone to Moss, I can't get anything without having it shipped in......

Don Ipock has been buying from British Parts Northwest as Moss has been out of a lot of stuff lately....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I think the outcome remains to be seen. Being in California, I could get one day shipping rom Seven, two day shipping from Heritage and one week shipping from Minimania.
I think the new owner is investing quite a bit, but I do not have any details.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 02, 2022, 05:13:27 PM
Aren't both places just a few miles from each other? I never understood how that business model worked. And didn't Jack used to work for Don Racine way back when? The new company will be 7 Mania??  ;D

Now with Victoria British gone to Moss, I can't get anything without having it shipped in......

Don Ipock has been buying from British Parts Northwest as Moss has been out of a lot of stuff lately....

Seven Enterprises used to be based in Newport News, Virginia up until maybe 20(?) years ago.  So it, along with Mini City in Fairport NY were the East Coast suppliers.  In those pre-Internet, mail order only days, only Seven and Mini City produced paper catalogs of parts and accessories.  MiniMania didn't have a catalog, but they were really good about sending out flyers every month or two about things that were on sale and they generally undercut prices from East Coast suppliers.  Later MiniMania produced CDs with schematics and parts numbers on them - so that was kind of the more modern version of a paper catalog. And of course once the Internet started being something that came into common use, MiniMania teamed up with MiniSpares and created a shared website in the late 90s.   

As to why Seven relocated to California I have no idea. It was kind of crazy how close they located to MiniMania operations.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

And plot twist, Minimania tried to buy my previous mini forum back in the early 2000s. 

Willie_B

MiniMania used to have a location in Atlanta more than 20 years back too.

Willie_B

MimiMania had a very well done catalog that went away with the internet.

MiniDave

That's all still online, isn't it? What years does that catalog cover, WillieB?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on July 03, 2022, 03:54:53 AM
And plot twist, Minimania tried to buy my previous mini forum back in the early 2000s.

You had a forum before this one? What was it called? I wonder if it's in the archives?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on July 03, 2022, 07:50:40 AM

You had a forum before this one? What was it called? I wonder if it's in the archives?

Operationmini.com.  Also had rotaryrendezvous.com.  Was bigger in the rotary/rx7 scene back then and had a number of car shows I hosted between Oklahoma and Texas. Sponsors and the whole bit.

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on July 03, 2022, 07:49:30 AM
That's all still online, isn't it? What years does that catalog cover, WillieB?

Looks like it covers from 1959 up to maybe the 90's. Don't see any sportspack stuff listed.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on July 03, 2022, 07:38:26 AM
MimiMania had a very well done catalog that went away with the internet.

Yup, you're right.  I had forgotten about that.  And their ATL branch too.   Thanks for keeping me honest.   

I visited MM back when I was on a business trip to the San Jose (Milpitas) area back around 1986 or so.  They were pretty small operation back then.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

G67mcs

Guess we will have to wait and see how this merger pans out.

I too used to drop by the Atlanta branch of MM when Dick Faile was running it back in the 90's.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

tmsmini

Not sure who Jonathan Harvey is, but I guess he bought into Minimania a few years ago.
Jonathan Harvey - President - Mini Mania, Inc. - LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-harvey-0647a428

tmsmini

Not sure what they will do about pricing, but a quick check on a common item yielded this:

Somerford            GSV1118            £4.25 exc VAT           5.11
Seven            GSV1118-OE   $12.95                 12.95
Seven            GSV1118EVO   $14.95                 14.95
Seven            GSV1118E   $6.95                   6.95
MiniMania            GSV1118           15.95                 15.95
MiniSpares    GSV1118MS   £3.05 exc vat           3.67
MiniSpares    GSV1118EVO   £4.80 exc v           5.77
Classic Mini Japan              ¥10,780 per set of 2   39.45

Not sure how that table will come across. Shipping from the UK has gotten more expensive.
And I am not sure how you can compare the items, even if they have the same part number.
The last column is dollar value

drmini

Sounds like everyone is getting older.  Michael Abramson was with George Sykes at the beginning of Seven Ent. back in 74.  Don was running Mini Mania out of his garage and was a part time business while he worked a regular job.  Back in the day it was much harder to order from overseas, and the big 3 (Mini City, Seven. and Mini Mania) were our only options.  I imagine that both are wanting to retire and enjoy life without the hassle of running a parts business that competes with UK companies that are easy to order from.  Exit Don and Michael, and enter Jonathan Harvey.  How long before Doug Scribner calls it quits as well?  Doug started Mini City way back in 68 when BMC/BL abandoned the US Mini sales and parts.  I don't know his age, but I know he's had some health concerns of late, and again, he is competing with the UK suppliers too.  As it stands now, we typically have 3 prices to choose from.  With the merger of MM & 7, I can't see them maintaining separate pricing, especially if they are sharing the same warehouse/inventory.  As with most companies, if you absorb your competition you can easily raise prices.  That's why the government frowns on monopolies.  My guess is that by Jan 1, 2024 MM will be the only show in North America, and the Seven personnel and name will disappear as well.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, watch the prices rise.  In the end, I think the only reason MM will survive is their multi-car catalog.  Mini, MINI, Morris Minor, Sprigit, etc. even in small sales, combined will keep them afloat.

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on July 03, 2022, 07:50:40 AM

Some of it did get captured by the wayback machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20061126005418/http://www.operationmini.com/html/in_process.htm

94touring

Oh wow!  So in the banner picture is Dave Patton from OKC with an assortment of his minis, Dean Wilhite (dooderwear) and then I'm standing here in black with my 99 mpi and then the blue mini beside me is the one I currently have!