Let’s talk handguns

Started by gr8kornholio, November 22, 2021, 07:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

I've been contemplating getting into hand guns for awhile now.  Finally have some time and cash to seriously get into it.  Unfortunately bad timing since you can't find anything right now except the cookie cutter things even Walmart sells.

I really liked the 1911 45 that I shot a couple years ago at an intro to handguns class. My father in law I believe has a smaller 1911 style 9mm for conceal carry.  Believe it was a Kimber. It felt good also.

Of course all the highly recommended 1911s don't exist currently and most have a 1.5 year waiting list.  Some of the smaller conceal carry 9mm versions are somewhat available but not really. 

So starting a discussion for the gun owners on here to enlighten me with their thoughts.  Such as but not limited too preferred styles, calibers along with buying used guns.

The 45 would mainly stay at the house and go to the range.  The 9mm would be the conceal, which even then is hard on me do to my clothing style.

Also have started to look into competition shooting.  From what I gather it's not a bunch of Olympic pros it's just average joes having a fun competition.   
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I don't really know my guns but have been to the shooting range a couple times this past year on overnights. One thing I do know is ammo isn't cheap!  Only thing I keep on me at home is my trusty 20 gauge for killing would be intruders that I hunted with as a kid.

cstudep

Can't beat a 1911 for just pleasurable shooting, they have arguably the best trigger ever. I would not recommend carrying one as a daily concealed carry as they are single action, usually fairly heavy and have very limited capacity. The smaller ones that are more suitable for carry (size wise) have even less capacity and can have reliability issues. I have had several 1911's, if you want a pretty reliable one that is on the more affordable end and usually easier to find (at least as far as 1911's go) then I don't think you can really beat one made by Springfield.

I have several different "carry guns" but I find I generally always end up carrying my Sig P365 (9mm). It is a really small gun which is great for carrying, but it also holds 12 rounds which at the time it came out was an incredible amount for the size. It is also an absolute pleasure to shoot for such a small gun. There are now several other guns from other makers that have similar dimensions, capacities, etc... If you plan to carry all day everyday you will definitely have to find what works best for you, carry position, body type, etc.. all play a huge roll in what you can easily carry and how comfortable it is to do so.

I have been carrying for 10ish+ years now I'd guess, and the Sig is by far the easiest gun I have ever found to carry daily but also shoots really nice for such a small package.

I would definitely recommend going to a shooting range and renting some of the smaller carry style guns to shoot if you can, or if you know other people who you can go out and shoot their guns. Especially for a carry gun as some of the small ones can be a real handful and no fun at all to shoot. I would not hesitate to buy a 1911 for just general shooting though, they are an absolute joy to shoot, I just would not really recommend using one as a carry gun.

I could talk guns all day long LOL

BruceK

Hey Mark, I'm no expert and can't really make a recommendation. However, when I lived near you I took a great "Intro to Handguns" course at Bullet Trap in Plano which offered students the opportunity to shoot about 20-25 different handguns of various calibers (from 22s to 45s IIRC, pistols and revolvers) from various manufacturers just to get a taste of how different guns handle and feel.  Basically, it was an opportunity to let students see what feels good for them.  Not sure if they still offer that, but I recommend it if it's available. 

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/classes
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Bruce, that is the class the wife and I took.  Where we got shoot all the different guns.  May take it again just as a refresher, have to check Groupon cause I think that's were we signed up for it the first time. 

The highly rated Springfields are nearly impossible to find right now.  They have the lower end and the high priced ones but that middle pack were features and price line up are just gone.  I've been to a couple shows to handle several of them.  Really like the feel of the colt gold cup trophy but at 1700 it's up in price and not exactly a looker.  I mean if you're shooting a 1911 shouldn't it have some aesthetics.  Also really like the Wilson combat but those seam to start at 3000 used and go up. 

Luckily I have time so I'll keep going to shows and shopping around.  Waiting on my conceal carry to go through.  The BIG show is first of the year in Fort Worth. 

Thoughts on purchasing used guns?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jedduh01

Gun ownership is FUN .  its a DEEP hobby with endless options, and opinions
  In my option the 1911 is a very active gun . the parts , the pieces the tinkering all go into the ownership of it. in my thoughts its complicated as a chassis...

I say this because i'm a GLOCK fan... Simplicity / Reliability / Durability ...all day long.

Shooting skills take practice,  and to get 'good' daily / regular practice is required  ... do you have abitliy to shoot at your own home / close location?   that really adds to the ammount of lead thrown...

Now that I have young children, and no longer live or have access to the 20 Acre farm property , I haven't touched a firearm in 5 years.
    No doubt the ammo is $$ and even shops are splitting full 50 Boxes in half and you pay of for half at the price of the full.   9mm will be slightly better $$ vs that 45 for sure .. 38 still works...  .22 is fun for the plinks!

For sure take classes gain knowledge .  put your hands on many options .. Local shops with ranges can help in every way!
   Conceal and carry is a different game from a sport shooting arms.

Brit_in_TX

I can't make a recommendation, but I will share the advice I have been given from other gun owners with extensive collections - try as many as you can before you buy.  What works for others might not work for you, so you have to try.  I go to a range which has a lot of "range guns" so you can try everything for the cost of the ammo (you have to buy ammo from them to use in their guns).

In terms of buying used guns, I know people that have not bought a new gun in decades.  The advice I received, was to make sure you have someone knowledgeable check it out before you buy. 

cstudep

Quote from: gr8kornholio on November 23, 2021, 07:47:24 AM
Bruce, that is the class the wife and I took.  Where we got shoot all the different guns.  May take it again just as a refresher, have to check Groupon cause I think that's were we signed up for it the first time. 

The highly rated Springfields are nearly impossible to find right now.  They have the lower end and the high priced ones but that middle pack were features and price line up are just gone.  I've been to a couple shows to handle several of them.  Really like the feel of the colt gold cup trophy but at 1700 it's up in price and not exactly a looker.  I mean if you're shooting a 1911 shouldn't it have some aesthetics.  Also really like the Wilson combat but those seam to start at 3000 used and go up. 

Luckily I have time so I'll keep going to shows and shopping around.  Waiting on my conceal carry to go through.  The BIG show is first of the year in Fort Worth. 

Thoughts on purchasing used guns?

I do not see as much of a supply issue up here I guess, at least not for guns. Ammo, now that is a whole different story but it's certainly better than it was 3-4 months ago. I was just in a shop the other day that had probably 20 different 1911's, from lower end "military" versions to the high end Wilson's and such. They had a couple of Springfields, Kimbers and a few Ruger 1911's as well which are also a pretty good affordable option if you can find one. Not a huge fan of the Kimbers, but only because they are a bit overpriced for what you get and they use the series 80 trigger components but that is just a personal preference thing.

Personally I would stay away from the cheaper "military" ones as the cost to get some of the better features like extended beaver tail, (which if you have ever shot a military style 1911 with the small beaver tail and had the web of your hand pinched between the hammer and frame you wont be as eager to shoot one again), better hammer, adjustable trigger, extended palm swell etc.. is minimal and those additions are good to have IMO. I have had high end 1911's and low end 1911's and honestly the return on investment seems to diminish once you reach about $1500 or so. The high end ones have more hand fitting of parts and pieces so they generally run a little smoother, look a little better and might be a little more reliable, but if I blind folded you and handed you a $3500 1911 to shoot and then a $1500 dollar 1911 to shoot I doubt you would be able to tell any difference. If you can afford to spend $3000+ on one then by all means go for it, they are definitely a nicer gun, just not 2x as nice in my opinion.

I have no issue at all buying used guns, in fact some of the best guns I have I bought used. The only ones I would really scrutinize are police trade in's but that is only because they usually have a lot of usage on them. Even then, so long as they are priced right I would not have an issue buying one of those either.

MiniDave

My neighbor across the street has a number of hand guns and shoots regularly, so he makes and loads his own bullets. I gave him buckets of lead wheel weights when I was at school - he melts them down and uses a small form to make the bullets - he says they shoot every bit as well as the ones he buys at the store.

I still find and give him lead when I come across it. Just a few days ago I found some pretty large lead ingots in my cluttered basement.....they must have weighed 10 lbs each......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Nice! Shooting lead is ok in some guns, not so much in others. Getting the hardness just right is the key in most cases to success.

I have been reloading my own ammo for decades as well, but finding the components even for that has been just about impossible for the last 2 years or so. Thankfully I have a stockpile but without being able to restock things I am hesitant to do as much shooting these days as I once did. Sad really as I really enjoy doing it.

CraigD

Quote from: 94touring on November 22, 2021, 08:27:06 PM
I don't really know my guns but have been to the shooting range a couple times this past year on overnights. One thing I do know is ammo isn't cheap!  Only thing I keep on me at home is my trusty 20 gauge for killing would be intruders that I hunted with as a kid.

Did you really hunt would be intruders as a kid?!!? How did you know they would be intruders? Maybe they only were thinking about intruding and most likely would not intrude like I just did. On this conversation.

:D Sorry, it's the Grandpa in me that makes me do these things.

94touring

Quote from: CraigD on November 23, 2021, 10:00:29 AM
Quote from: 94touring on November 22, 2021, 08:27:06 PM

Did you really hunt would be intruders as a kid?!!? How did you know they would be intruders? Maybe they only were thinking about intruding and most likely would not intrude like I just did. On this conversation.

:D Sorry, it's the Grandpa in me that makes me do these things.

Lol I suppose that does read funny. 

gr8kornholio

Unfortunately no property any more, but I believe we have some friends that do.  We do have several ranges and yes they all have loaner guns. 

I was thinking the same thing on the 3k+ guns.  Probably isn't worth the price for what I'm going to notice.  One of the reasons I'm hesitant on the colt.  I did like it's feel though compared to the Springfield.  Hoping to see all of them again this weekend at another show.  Along with the colt delta. 

Anyone ever get into "competitive" shooting? 

cstudep

Used to do a little bit of "competitive shooting", mostly 3-gun style stuff. It was fun but boy is it an expensive hobby, even more so now that ammo is double what it used to be. Some of the Bullseye style stuff doesn't go through as much ammo and maybe they have changed things these days to limit the ammo spent a little more, I don't know. You could easily drop several hundred just in ammo over a weekend, and that was years ago when ammo was cheap by todays standards.

It's a fun way to get lots of practice while getting to shoot with some pretty good folks who can teach you a lot of things.....if you can afford to do it.

gr8kornholio

Went and did some shooting today. Colt and Springfield 1911's.  Definitely liked the colt better.  The wife liked the Springfield, but it was mostly due to it fitting her hand better.  Hopefully tomorrow going to the other range to shoot the Kimber and Wilson combat. 

Here's a pic of my grouping with last clip of the colt.  Pay no attention to the neck shots, those are the wife's.

cstudep

Nice!

I just bought a Ruger SR 1911 Friday. It was not a planned purchase but I stopped at a gun store on my way home and they had a used one sitting there in near perfect condition for a price that I could not pass up.

gr8kornholio

That is exactly why I avoid stopping in stores like that.  Lol.

Tonight I got to shoot a Wilson Combat and a Kimber Gold Match.  Yes, the Wilson was nice, but as discussed earlier I don't see the reason for the $3k+ price tag.  The Kimber shot nice also.  Still think I like the colt the best. 

drmini

Nice grouping on a standing still paper target.  I would suggest that aiming for the mass is a much better idea.  It will come in handy if you are ever faced with a moving target that is Hell bent on doing you some harm. 

gr8kornholio

Yea we had already shot up the mass and rings so head was only thing left for last clip. 

A very informative and glad to pass the knowledge type guy I met at a gun show has given me a wealth of info, including decoding the colt 70 series then 80 series then back to 70 series mess and what to look for and what to pay for. 

Pretty sure a new colt 70 series gold cup trophy is going to be my gun.  Currently they are selling new below retail.  Would've bought the night hawk dominator if I'd known the opening bid had been lowered to 2200.  As much as people talk about the custom makers just can't see the $3k+ cost and from watching auctions, lose a good 30 or so percent even if you sell them having never used them.

Have been eyeballing the Kimber gold combat since it's from the custom shop and is highly rated. Shot a Kimber gold match which is below these and it was nice. Only issue is they are somewhat rare and the 2 currently for sale are over priced and have the rail. 

There's a very nice looking and supposedly great shooting Ruger, the sr1911 competition but I've only seen a 9mm version.

So with price, availability, feel and performance the colt checks them all.  Only downside is it's a little plain at just stainless and blue grips.  Thinking of contacting nighthawk about their smoked nitride finish and if it can be applied to stainless. 

gr8kornholio

So the more research and reading I've done I'm starting to realize that 45 is almost a pointless caliber.  Twice expensive as a 9mm round and with todays ammo tech it really doesn't do much more damage.  Unless you are shooting full metal jackets, but that's also not a really good choice.  Especially in home or self defense.   

Good news is there are plenty of 1911 guns in 9mm.  Do enjoy shooting the bigger 45 round, but sounds like it's just getting outdated. 

Have started looking at 10mm which seem to be mostly used for up close encounters of wild hogs or the such and still not practical.  Haven't shot one yet, but another trip to the range will fix that. 

Look forward to hearing thoughts on these thoughts.   

gr8kornholio

So accidentally won an auction on gunbroker.  I mean I did place the bid, just didn't expect it to go so low.  Did make me a little nervous but now that I have it I'm glad I won.  Looks to have been no more then test fired.

Crazy thing was this one was buy it now at 1499 and didn't sell. But one exactly like it that ended right around the same time was bid all the way up to 1650.  So this got listed as an auction.  Well with 15 min to go I though out a low bid that I figured based on the other was bound to be outbid.  Came back 20 min later and found myself the winner for 1225.  Auctions are crazy. 

So then came the hard part.  Appears I bought a 10mm one day after everyone decided 10mm was the new thing and ammo was gone or a $1 plus a round.  Got to love capitalism.  Finally found a little shop in Denton that had some at a normal price so I snatched up all 10 boxes.

I also signed up for a class at a local gun place for a 3 hour class on cleaning, dismantling and assembly.  Figured if I was going to pay a gunsmith to clean and go through it might as well spend the same on learning to do it myself.  Hopefully can get some range time after the class. 

Love the way it looks and looking forward to enjoying the way it shoots.  If so the collector in me will be getting the micro 9mm for conceal that matches it.  Fairly easy to find new.  Harder to locate will be the matching Pro model that is a 4" barrel in 45.