The future of fast food

Started by 94touring, November 08, 2021, 11:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Not that I frequent fast food joints much but I'm starting to see a trend, at least at McDonald's. I suppose over the past few months I've been to a mcDs a total of 3 times.  Usually it's if I'm simple in a hurry or like today, out running errands and decide to pop in.  They all seem to be going to kiosk which means no one working the counter. I had posted in one thread recently how I never got a cup so just took it upon myself to go behind the counter and get my own. 2nd McD visit I went through the kiosk, which actually takes some time finger fucking the screen to get to the end to pay. Only to realize there are no numbered plastic stand things to enter into the order.  So I couldn't order.  And no one at the counter so I left.  Today I'm running around town and popped in and I was able to order, but again was never given a cup.  I also notice there really aren't any people inside and it's high noon.  I can't imagine this is good for business.  In Bulgaria there's a McDs across from our hotel.  Typically stumbling back from a late night out at 3am you can walk up to the drive through window, knock on it, an employee appears, you place an order,  hand over money, and walk away with food moments later.  In the states I can't even get an employee middle of the day inside the store.  Junk food rant over.

Brit_in_TX

Technology is cheaper than people!

MiniDave

I've seen the kiosks for several years now, but since I always order "special" (no special sauce for me) I've always had to go to  the counter before. Then again I haven't darkened their doors in so long I can't remember the last time......

All the more reason to find a nice Mom&Pop cafe' if you can.....

PS - have you ever eaten at Sam N' Ella's? Can't believe that name! We used to make their bisquits for them
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on November 08, 2021, 11:38:05 AM

And it's hard to believe but it's even more frustrating than people when it does not work.

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on November 08, 2021, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_TX on November 08, 2021, 11:38:05 AM

Lol.  I'll take the young kid screwing my order up over the kiosk any day.  In fact I'm done going in from here on out. Drive through or I'll just wait till I get home.  Or like Dave said mom and pop place if I have the time.

And it's hard to believe but it's even more frustrating than people when it does not work.

Scargo

The Home Depot that I frequent has ten (10) checkout lines but for the last few times that I've been there they have not been manned with a human. The only way to check out has been at one of the four (4) self-check stations.

When they first went this route I was not a fan, but I have since grown accustomed to it and actually prefer it over the traditional check-out stations. The problem now however is that the self-check lines are getting longer by the day, while the regular stations sit empty with the lights off.

Costumer service and human interaction is fading quickly, I'm afraid.

94touring

The self checkout at the home depot or even the store really isn't so bad.  If I have a basket full of veggies that need looked up I go to a person though.

BruceK

I've found that most Home Depot's have a special checkout line "for contractors" that is definitely manned 100% of the time. They don't put up with self-checkout so they are accommodated.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yep, the only issue there is when you have a guy checking out ten carts full of building materials.....but yes, I go that way too if I have more than a couple of things. If I'm just buying a can of paint tho, self check is usually pretty quick and painless - and no fake "conversation".
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Yup like the self checkout but irritating when  full and and have to wait. I just make sure there is a scan code before I take the item. Lookd aup items no problem at Walmart. Scanner is the scale and  just have to select a picture. Pretty easy.

Brit_in_TX

If the option is there, I try and use a staffed checkout line.  My small protest at big box stores trying to reduce their head counts. 

Scargo

Rod Man at WalMart - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDRFqd1DxI

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara