John Styers

Started by MiniDave, September 15, 2021, 07:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Many of our members here have met John, he was supposed to go with us on our Texas trip earlier this year but events conspired against him - first his tow vehicle quit, then he flew into San Antonio on business with the idea that he would drive up and meet us on Monday and at least ride along, but that didn't work either so he missed the trip entirely and was very sad that he couldn't be there.

I met John a number of years ago at an all British show that was held in an indoor parking lot at a major shopping center - it seemed like a good idea at the time, out of the sun and lots of people to walk thru the show but it was dim and miserable in there - we never did that location again. John has a gorgeous almond/OE white Mini that he built up from a bare shell, it has a full leather interior and beautiful walnut caps on the doors and rear side windows that his father made for the car. It also runs well as the engine was built while John lived in England in years past.

Since that time he's gone on a bunch of drives with us KC Mini guys, and he's one of the major organizers not only of several British car shows in our town, he also organizes the Lake Garnet Grand Prix, is president of the Lawrence All British Car Club and of course - has his own business.

He is one of the nicest most genuine people you will ever meet, always willing to lend a hand in any way he can and always with a smile. He just built a fantastic shop on his property and was in the process of moving his British car collection into it last week - he still has his Mini, Jensen Healey and a Morgan, tho he sold his Caterham recently.

My friend John is dying.

He has an incurable, fast moving degenerative brain disease, he was completely fine when I saw him in July, by the end of August he was a different man - it's almost like he has advanced Alzheimer's in that his brain just isn't working - I'll be short on details except to say that he only has a short time to live now. As much as I'm sad and angry to lose him at such a young age (61) I hope his suffering ends quickly.

The family has established a site on Caring Bridge, accessible here for those who knew him or would like to read about him....

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johnstyers/journal
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've been around John a number of times and mini trips/events and this is such a tragedy. Really is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

MiniDave

A couple of pics at car shows - rare for John to get to sit down at one of these events as he's usually scrambling all day....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Just terrible news. I met John several times and I remember how he's such a nice guy.  It's shocking how quickly this has happened to him.  I hope he does not suffer in his final days. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

John passed away this afternoon at 2:15.....godspeed John.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Sorry to hear that Dave -
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

In honor of John who was an important part of the Lake Garnet grand Prix, next month's event will be in honor of John's name......

This is the text that went with this pic...in this pic that's John in his Caterham.

It is with deep sadness that we report the passing of our friend and longtime LGGPR Board Member, John Styers. Many of you were probably most familiar with John from seeing him on the race grid, as his smiling face approached your car to check your wristbands and ask if you were having a good time, before he waved your group out on course.

John was a true car enthusiast with a special fondness for British cars, and loved getting behind the wheel of his Lotus 7, Mini, or Morgan. He spent many years as a member of the Lawrence All British Car Club and was a well-known fixture at British car events around the region.

John was an early supporter of the Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival who became an integral part of our LGGPR Board within a few years, handling many behind-the-scenes coordination duties. On event weekends he volunteered his time as the photography coordinator, worked the grids at the autocross and at the track, and jumped in anywhere else he was asked to help.

We are going to miss our friend dearly and will be dedicating the running of the 2021 Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival to him, knowing that he will be there with us in spirit. Godspeed, John

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Sorry to hear this sad news Dave, condolences to his family and friends.

MiniDave

I hope we have a good turnout of Brit cars to honor John's memory....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Wish I could make it but work ships me out that day.