1966 Moke with a hardtop

Started by Willie_B, June 04, 2021, 10:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

MiniDave

Wow, never saw one of those before - I wonder how you get in the back seats?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Warm in the Summer?  Maybe not if it stays in its homeland.   In my summertime visits to the UK I remember locals complaining it was "hot" when the temperature approached about 80F. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

I remember seeing a listing for that same Moke quite some time back.  The pictures are the same as I remember at least.

I thought it was an interesting one back then as well.

Three Mokes known on the market is tempting, but I need to stay focused on other priorities first.   :(

drmini

I had one of these hardtops on a Moke.  Completely worthless IMHO!  Really destroys the entire reason for having a Moke.  Those tops are too bulky and heavy to put on and take off without a couple of friends and then you'll end up scratching the paint.  Also, they have no ventilation at all and they are hot and stuffy.  I ended up throwing mine in the opentop dumpster at the local transfer station for the landfill.  Yeah, some folks said it might be worth selling, but I couldn't see trying to ship the big ass, bulky thing anywhere.

cstudep

Quote from: drmini on June 07, 2021, 09:19:36 AM
I had one of these hardtops on a Moke.  Completely worthless IMHO!  Really destroys the entire reason for having a Moke.  Those tops are too bulky and heavy to put on and take off without a couple of friends and then you'll end up scratching the paint.  Also, they have no ventilation at all and they are hot and stuffy.  I ended up throwing mine in the opentop dumpster at the local transfer station for the landfill.  Yeah, some folks said it might be worth selling, but I couldn't see trying to ship the big ass, bulky thing anywhere.

Sounds about like a hard top on a jeep. It's nice in the winter if you have to suffer through such things but other than that it is a real hassle. I don't see too many people buying a Moke so they can drive it around in the winter so it seems kind of pointless.

Jimini II

I drove in one in the Keys with a hardtop, waste of time i would rather wrap up than be bothered with it.
The side screens on a Moke are a pita too, i used mine in the recent NC recon Mini event as it was in the 30's some mornings but by Noon at least i had the option of rolling them up and getting some air.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on June 04, 2021, 11:18:23 AM
Warm in the Summer?  Maybe not if it stays in its homeland.   In my summertime visits to the UK I remember locals complaining it was "hot" when the temperature approached about 80F.

You say that, but my wife (who is a native of San Antonio) could not cope with the summer in the UK (80-85F if we were lucky) because the brits do not air condition their homes, so she could never cool down!

BruceK

Point taken. Yeah the only reason we scoff at 80F being hot is because we automatically factor in a/c as a given.

I do remember when I was a kid our family cars never had a/c - air conditioning was basically only available in high end cars back then. We suffered through summers with the car windows fully rolled down while sitting on hot vinyl seats.  We really didn't realize how awful it was until we had an alternative.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on June 07, 2021, 03:39:32 PM
You say that, but my wife (who is a native of San Antonio) could not cope with the summer in the UK (80-85F if we were lucky) because the brits do not air condition their homes, so she could never cool down!

The 80-85*F is tolerable anywhere IF you can get some sort of breeze across you.  Unfortunately, the Brits also do not have fans in most of their homes.

I keep my apartment set for 80*F in the summer, but I also have ceiling fans to churn the air and make it okay.  Besides, 80*F feels cool when it is 90* to 100*F outside.

One has to also factor in acclimating to an environment when you live there for a period of time.

MiniDave

The other factor is humidity, 80* with 90% humidity is NOT pleasant! Ask me how I know.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad