Spot lamps

Started by bneer, May 06, 2021, 11:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bneer

Does anyone have a recommendation on front driving lamps. I live in a rural area with lots of critters. I would like something bright and long range. Thanks in advance.

MiniDave

Spares and Sport both offer complete kits with wiring and brackets.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I have a pair of Wipac spots that came with my car that I have no use for.  They were mounted to my car but were never wired in.

Willie_B

Before you go down the extra lights road why don't you update the headlights your have. All the power for the headlights has to go through the headlight switch and stock wiring. You can add relays to the headlights and run power from a good source under the hood. Doing that puts higher voltage and amperage available to the bulb. This is one from Moss Motors but you can get it from several vendors.

https://mossmotors.com/headlight-relay-kit

The wire colors match with the stock wiring so not hard to install. Then you can get some GOOD headlights and run a higher wattage bulb. Stock is 55 watts low and 60 watts high. You can get bulbs that are over 100 on high but you need the relay kits to handle it. Do NOT use an LED bulb. They are not designed to work good in a halogen headlight housing.

Unless you really like the look of the extra lights across the front, then nevermind. But you will need relays for them too.

bneer

Thanks for all the input. I thought spots on their own switch and relay would be more practical than higher wattage headlamps. You have given me some options to consider. Thanks!

MiniDave

Just FWIW, I rarely drive my cars at night unless I'm in the city, my night vision sucks.....so even with good lights I can't see well. On top of that there's so much traffic even out in the country that you really can't use them except for brief moments.

Brant lives  a little more rural than I do tho
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And now for a different opinion.    ;D

First Option: My suggestion is to first get a pair of good quality 7" round headlights designed to use an H4 halogen bulb.   Like these Hella headlights.  German engineering that meets strict EU lighting requirements.  4.gif

HELLA 002395991 7" H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002M9QJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZJQ8N5E5VWWRZX5JM46Z

And spend the time needed to really aim them properly.  Easy to Google how to aim correctly. Then see how you like them.  You should see a huge improvement over typical sealed beam bulbs.  And, should you want more light, there are options to fit brighter halogen bulbs (hotter and higher wattage), but you may not need to do that.

Second Option: Using the Hella headlights above, consider a good LED bulb. Brad (WillyB) mentions above about not using LED bulbs in a H4 halogen headlight housing because the housing is not designed for that.  That's true, but a few LED manufacturers have worked hard to design an LED bulb to replace a halogen one.  Don't get me wrong, nearly everything LED replacement bulb out there is crap - cheap Chinese stuff  on EBay or Amazon with ugly heatsinks that actually perform poorly. But there are a few LED bulbs that are not junk.   A vendor called Headlight Revolution conducts extensive tests of everything that's on the market in a series of YouTube videos.   Very helpful to weed out the crappy ones.   If you're not happy with the results with the halogen bulbs, check out the Headlight Revolution videos on YouTube and see if you can find a bulb that will work for you.   

Personally, I use these LED bulbs in a Hella housing on my Mini and I'm very happy with their lighting performance.  Really illuminates the road at night.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/headlight-revolution-perfectfit-led-headlights-h4-bulbs-PF1.H4_2

Third Option.  Get a complete LED headlamp assembly, designed and engineered from the start to be a decent fully functional LED headlight.  This is probably the most expensive option and there are a lot of bad, poorly-designed options out there.   But Headlight Revolution tests and rates these too, with videos and recommendations.   So you can find good ones.

Personally, I hate these LED headlights for use on a classic car such as a Mini because of how they look.   They seem to be designed to look like they should go on a futuristic spaceship or some Batmobile, or something.   I guess in reality they are trying to appeal to late-model Jeep owners who want their vehicle to look like an angry Transformer character.   

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/morimoto-sealed7-2-0-led-jeep-7-inch-headlights-LF271-B_2

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Here is an example of Bruce's "option 3" that looks like normal/classic headlights instead of the "angry transformer".

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2011348

I have them bookmarked as a future possibility.

ADRay

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on May 06, 2021, 12:22:38 PM
I have a pair of Wipac spots that came with my car that I have no use for.  They were mounted to my car but were never wired in.

sounds familiar. you won't be impressed if you decide someday to wire them up.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

jedduh01

another consideration .    By Chance is your car RHD? ( off the boat from England?) and or never had a headlamp change?

RHD beams are in the wrong direction for Driving on the RH Side like we do in the US.. if so your beams are focused on the wrong parts of traffic and the road here in the USA.

My simple solution ..  Sylvania Silverstar Halogens.
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Headlight-Performance-Replacement/dp/B000COCTWG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sylvania+silverstar+halogen+7+inch&qid=1620398155&sr=8-1

40$ for a pair =   Plug and Play  LHD beams. best place to start for better headlamps.  (make sure they're aimed well too)

Red Riley

Quote from: jedduh01 on May 07, 2021, 07:38:27 AM
another consideration .    By Chance is your car RHD? ( off the boat from England?) and or never had a headlamp change?

RHD beams are in the wrong direction for Driving on the RH Side like we do in the US.. if so your beams are focused on the wrong parts of traffic and the road here in the USA.

My simple solution ..  Sylvania Silverstar Halogens.
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Headlight-Performance-Replacement/dp/B000COCTWG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sylvania+silverstar+halogen+7+inch&qid=1620398155&sr=8-1

40$ for a pair =   Plug and Play  LHD beams. best place to start for better headlamps.  (make sure they're aimed well too)

Based on questions I've seen asked over the years, I have long suspected that many people don't realize that Minis have standard 7 inch round headlights that can be bought off the shelf at any auto parts store and super easily upgraded to more modern specs. If folks are still running the headlights that came on the car, it's no wonder that they are looking for more light. I threw a set of the WIPAC Quadoptic headlights on my Elf shortly after I got it on the road. (Right side of the road versions, of course, even though the car was a right hander at the time) I change to the most current H4 bulbs every couple of years, and I take the time to set them up and aim them properly. I think I've got some Phillips Diamond White ones or something. I can't remember, so maybe it's time to upgrade again. I've never felt like it needed any extra driving lights, even bombing down country roads in the dark.