A-hole pushing the car safety envelope

Started by BruceK, March 30, 2021, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

So today I was sitting in my wife's Mazda waiting at a stoplight at the end of an exit ramp off a state highway.  I glanced in the rearview mirror and I saw a car had just come off the highway and was down the ramp right toward me. And I noticed the distinctive face of the new Mustang Mach-E electric SUV - the first one I've seen.   But then I realized the car was traveling down the ramp at a lot higher speed than normal and it didn't seem to be slowing down enough. I was convinced that my wife and I were about to be rear-ended as the car kept coming at us with way too much speed.  I told my wife that we were about to be hit. Suddenly the Mustang very abruptly stopped - somehow not hitting us - and it ends up just a couple of feet from our rear bumper. 

In the rearview mirror I saw the driver of the car, a man in his early 30s, had a huge grin and he was laughing to himself.  I put the pieces together and realized that apparently this fricken' bozo had completed a little impromptu test of the Mach-E's "Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking" system and used us as the guinea pig.  The driver appeared delighted that his new toy worked successfully, but my huge relief about not being hit immediately turned to red hot anger.  My adrenaline kicked in and at that point I exited my car and I may have expressed my strong feelings to him in a most sincere and direct manner.  He looked shocked.  I can only hope I made him as scared as he made me.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

MiniDave

Damn straight!

I would have made my imprint on his memory with a baseball bat all over the front of his "collision avoidance system"
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ve9aa

Why can't jack h0les like this find a good solid brick wall of an abandoned warehouse to test these types of things out.

It would be bad enough to be in a car and witness this like you did.

I am sure if I was on my Harley, I may not have been so kind. (after I tested my own collision avoidance system on him.)
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

ADRay

I hate all of that type of auto safety shit they are putting in cars now, and hope to never own a car with any of it.

It gives people yet another reason to not pay attention while driving.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998