Do you like it on bottom or on top?

Started by Red Riley, March 16, 2021, 06:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Riley

Probably a dumb question, but does the carpet go under the remote shifter boot retainer, or does it sit on top? I'm thinking the rubber boot goes against the floor, then the carpet, and the retainer holds it down. But I've seen pictures the other way too, with the carpet just slipping over the boot and not held down. Is it just personal preference or is there a right and wrong way? The way I had it before was definitely wrong, with the carpet under the rubber boot, that's why I'm asking.

Jimini II

From the factory I believe the carpet was on top of the retainer.
It was probably carried over from the early Minis to enable quick and easy carpet removal as they leaked like a sieve in a rainstorm ;)

MPlayle

A couple of the later Minis I have owned had boot, carpet, then retainer.

gr8kornholio

Pretty sure mine had the retainer on top. Going to be that way anyhow when I put it back together as I had Dan paint it. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

On my car the carpet just fits over the shift boot retainer.  I think it's done that way so the carpet can't get wet from water splashed up from the road. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Red Riley

I got tired of messing around with the old worn out rubber remote shifter boot. Who says you can't use speed parts on a Mini?
I wanted something different so I replaced it with one from Lokar. I think it looks pretty sweet. I wonder if it will make it faster?

MiniDave

That probably added at least 10 internet HP! looks nice tho.... 77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: MiniDave on March 23, 2021, 01:13:20 PM
That probably added at least 10 internet HP! looks nice tho.... 77.gif

To be honest, it probably does reduce drag somewhat. I never realized that the rubber boot was actually providing the only cover over the floor cutout. Not sure how I missed that for all these years.
I made up a nice solid cover to go over the hole before I added the new boot.