electric garage hoist

Started by ADRay, February 26, 2021, 07:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for the means to be able to pull the motor out of my Mini. I've arrived at an electric garage hoist. I plan to hang it on a 10 ft unistrut, strapped across the joists. It will be in a fixed position, and pulling the Mini motor will likely be the hardest it gets worked.

Does anyone else use one of these? Any good reason why I shouldn't? Thanks

https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html?cid=paid_google%7C%7C%7C60346&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbKvx5CB7wIVmIyGCh2QDww3EAkYASABEgIqKPD_BwE
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Willie_B

You plan to lift the engine then roll the car out of the way?

MiniDave

Does that winch have a brake? How much will it hold?

I've seen them used for this, but I don't know how much I would trust it unless it has a mechanical brake. My hoist is actually a boat hoist, and it has a ratcheting mechanical brake - so it can't fail unless the ratchet breaks, which is unlikely. Some of these have an electronic brake, and some a set of shoes - you need to see what they're rated at.

Most of these say they are not rated for vertical lift duty.

Edit: It does say it's for hoist duty, but I'd still check on how the brake works - could be just a worm gear design....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

Quote from: MiniDave on February 26, 2021, 08:06:46 AM
Does that winch have a brake? How much will it hold?

Excellent point. I knew there was a good reason I asked here! Looks like I need to do some more homework.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Reading the pdf instructions it has a brake you're supposed to initially test with 200lbs before operating.  It's rated for 440lbs.

MiniDave

I'd love to have a hoist mounted to a carrier on a beam that I could use to lift stuff like this......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

It might be just me, but I would pony up for one of the heavier rated ones. I think it would pretty easy to hit that 440 pound rating without really trying too hard.

ADRay

Quote from: Red Riley on February 26, 2021, 11:39:01 AM
It might be just me, but I would pony up for one of the heavier rated ones. I think it would pretty easy to hit that 440 pound rating without really trying too hard.

I hear you... I'm leaning toward the lighter one because of it's limitations (and the garage ceiling's). The heaviest duty job that I'd be putting it through would be pulling my Mini's engine. I am right in thinking an Austin A+ is around 250lbs?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Willie_B

When I shipped my engine to Dave crate and all was just less than 300.

ve9aa

I bought a fully outfitted  1098 a long time ago and I was always under the impression it was 320lbs.....not sure if that's 100% accurate, but let's say your engine is "wet" and it's probably in the neighborhood.

For sure it's a lot more than 250lbs.

I wouldn't want to lift a 330lb engine with a winch rated for 440lbs.  For one thing, we don't know how "good" the brake is, nor the line voltage sag of that branch circuit under that load.  Heck, your garages' beer fridge might kick its compressor on just as you go to lift it, pulling the voltage on the circuit down to 100vac, causing current to soar and popping your breaker at an inopportune moment.

Just sayin'

My 2c, fwiw

Quote from: ADRay on February 26, 2021, 12:58:03 PM

I hear you... I'm leaning toward the lighter one because of it's limitations (and the garage ceiling's). The heaviest duty job that I'd be putting it through would be pulling my Mini's engine. I am right in thinking an Austin A+ is around 250lbs?
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

Red Riley

Quote from: ADRay on February 26, 2021, 12:58:03 PM

Oh, and if you plan on attaching it to the ceiling? I would do some digging into whether your ceiling joists are up to the task. I'd probably go so far as to put in some beefy wall studs and a dedicated header just for the hoist. Maybe even a steel beam. Nah. I think I'd just buy an engine crane hoist and call it good.

MiniDave

He said he planned to add a piece of unistrut to the bottom chord of his truss, but I agree - that may not be strong enough.

I've seen guys mount several pieces of unistrut to the bottom of several chords, then hang the hoist across all of them on yet another unistrut, but that could run counter to the area he has to work with.

I also just use an engine hoist, the smaller 1 ton one from HF is still kind of a pain - I have to fold it up pretty much every time I'm done with it and even tho it's a fairly small footprint, it's still something I have to find a place for in my tiny shop.

The best way is if there's a steel I-beam running across the shop, then you could hang a hoist off of that and not have to worry about it's strength.

I think most rental yards offer an engine hoist, but you need something with a trailer hitch to pull it home.

You know, so many times guys have done stuff like the OP wants to do and it works out just fine.......but there's always that chance that something gets overlooked and bang - something terrible happens. I mean, I've pulled engines with nothing more than a couple of fan belts and a 4X4 with two guys on either end......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

A couple of post on either side of the truss to the garage floor helps a lot you could even attach an extra bottom chord that is as wide as the span of the extra post. If it is a 2x4 truss I would definitely add another 2x4 to the bottom Mabey one on each side.
I have a couple of post cut just the right length to kick into place under a particular truss that I pull on from time to time.

ADRay

this sparked a good conversation. All of this is good, thanks to all for your input.

after thinking more about it even more, I decided to go the safety route. "I'm sure it'll be fine" lost out to "I'm not a structural engineer". I'm now the proud owner of a new engine crane.

Now to keep moving forward on my refurb.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

I was going to suggest a gantry crane! 

MiniDave

Gantry cranes are great if you have the room, you never have to worry about how to get the legs under the car..

That looks great ADRay, you'll be surprised how useful it is around the shop too. I use mine a lot.

What's the plan for the engine? Is it a 998 or 1275? Just a refresh and stop the oil leaks or a rebuild and power up?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

it's a 998 A+, that I find as plenty of power for my driving. the last time I drove it, it was showing signs of a bad head gasket.

Here is the official thread in case you missed it:

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=2206.0
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

What was it doing that took you to the head gasket?

Looks like you'll have a solid, fun to drive car when you're done, think you'll have it on the road by summer?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

it was kicking out white exhaust and getting hot. It hasn't been driven since August 2019. At the time I had just bought a house and my free time went to that that fall.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to drive it again, I'm unsure how soon I'll get it back on the road. It's a balance of free time, funds and getting parts. I plan to (but have not contacted) the body shop to do that work, and so idk lead and turnaround times for that. it won't be ready for that until I pull and sort out the front subframe.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998