The exact opposite of Australian doors

Started by BruceK, February 14, 2021, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Saw this video today of a JDM Mini with the exact opposite of Australian (or South African) doors.

So, instead of a rollup window in an external-hinge Mk I or Mk II door, this is a later Mk III (and onward) internal-hinge door that has been retrofitted to have sliding windows and a metal door pocket. 

Obviously custom work, and way cool.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Here's the video.  Unfortunately it was shot with a wide angle lens so you can't get a really good look at the car.

The first part is a driving video but the walkaround part starts around 13:15 in.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Red Riley

I saw someone posting somewhere about making or installing a retro window kit like that. I simply asked why anyone would want to have sliding windows instead of rollup ones. The guy totally lost his sh*t. You would have thought I was insulting his mother or something. I still don't get the attraction. It's like taking off your radials and putting bias ply tires on.

94touring

Funny cause I removed my winders and went sliders. But I did it for weight loss.  Dropped about 30lbs per door by going aluminum skins, taking the winder guts out, cutting most of the inner metal out, and using plexiglass.  And went bias ply race tires.