Separating front hubs

Started by DS1980, February 12, 2021, 08:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS1980

Hello,
I have the front axle and hub assembly off and am curious how to break down the front hub to replace the bearings. I have the axle out, I just can't figure out the hub. First time doing this.
Thanks!

MiniDave

If you have the axle slipped out of the bearings, the only thing holding them in are the seals, pop those out and the bearings will lift out, then if you're changing them you'll need to drive out the inner races
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah, what Dave said. 

If you don't already have one I recommend getting a Haynes manual for the Mini. They are a very good reference of how to do things.

Also, there are a number of YouTube videos on Mini maintenance that can be helpful.   And of course you can ask here.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

DS1980

How do I pop the seals out? I'm restoring the front subframe so I have everything apart. So it's just the Hub sitting by itself. Am I able to hit the bearing from the back side and push it out the wheel side? I have two different Haynes manuals for it but they just show exploded views, and how they say to remove them is not working. I have viewed a YouTube video as well and they just pry it off from the front and mine will not budge.

MiniDave

Well, if you're replacing the bearings and don't care about them, yes just drive them out and the seal will go with them, but those seals usually just pry out with a big screwdriver. Why don't you post a pic so we can be sure of what you're trying to do?

Bruce and I changed one in a driveway on our trip to the west coast when one of his failed.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

DS1980

Ok, got the drive flange off. I had to actually hit it and not the bearing from the back side and it popped right out. What side does the bearing that's in the hub pop out from?

LarryLebel

There's 2 bearings. They come out from the side you are seeing them.

94touring

The bearings fall out then you'll see the races they sit in which need punched out.  Ideally you have a press for reinserting but a punch and hammer work fine.  A bearing press kit rather than a punch makes it easier without the actual press too. 

MiniDave

One comes out the front, and one out the back, don't forget the spacer when you put them back in. Looks like the outer one is still stuck on the flange. You may need a bearing separator kit to get that off. Hopefully it will slide off with some persuasion..... did the inner race come out with the bearing?

also, if you drive the races out with a punch, make sure you don't scar the inside of the hub where the race fits, if you do - take a rotary file or burr or something and smooth it out again, other wise the bearings might bind and fail prematurely

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

DS1980

Yes, I am having trouble getting the outer bearing off. I will go see what the auto parts store has for tool rentals. I got the inner race off from the inner bearing doing what was said so the hub is ready to go. Just need to work on the drive flange.
It looks like I'm missing #9, distance ring. Can't find them on eBay. Does someone know the part #?

MiniDave

Is this a drum brake hub?

I think you'll find that distance ring is inside the seal on the flange, that's what it rides on.

Something like this is what you need to get that bearing off the flange.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad