Happy Holidays!

Started by MiniDave, December 23, 2020, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

As this year draws to a close, it's nice to know we all have friends and family we can interact with over our favorite little tin cars!

I want to share this Xmas photo, taken 10 years before I was born. This is where my father worked his whole life, even after he was retired due to age, they hired him on as a consultant and continued on for another decade with them. He was 19 in this pic, his first real job....not too long after this he would go into the army and be sent overseas for 4 long years. When he came home his job was waiting for him, and with the GI bill he was able to go to college at night and get his engineering degree.

The company threw this Xmas party every year, and for the children they had a "vending" machine set up that would dispense toys to each kid! you pressed a button to let them know if you were a boy or girl and the appropriate gift would come out the "machine" (it was just some guys behind a wall of course, but we didn't care)  ;D

In this pic, he is standing in the back, center, in front of three guys - with a big smile on his face!

Happy Holidays to all, and I hope 2021 is a better year for all of us!

Share your holiday pics, if you like....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That's a cool bit of history!  Thanks for sharing that Dave.   It's good to think back that family and traditions are what really matter.

Merry Christmas everyone!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It's interesting - Vendo/Sanden (Vendo is owned by a Japanese company now - Sanden, which make refrigeration equipment, including A/C compressors for cars) posted this pic on FB referring to Vendos long history, and after they got so many positive replies and remembrances of these parties, announced that in the future they would be starting a new
Xmas party tradition, including the "vending machines" for toys for the children of employess.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

We are seeing a couple close family members for the holidays this year.  We did have a little photo shoot with my wife's late grandfather.  We miss him a lot.  Merry Christmas all.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

tsumini

Merry Christmas all a y'alls

MiniDave

Starting the new year off right.....and I just got the blue car washed yesterday! Actually, I had it in to the local dealer and they washed it - as they always do. At least it was clean for one day  ::)

The only people in our whole neighborhood that park their cars in their garage are the young couple next door, everyone else has too much crap in their garages, the cars won't fit! mine is full of Minis right now and I'm pretty sure my bride is not happy that her new car is out in the schnee.....

My trash barrel is sitting on the curb for a reason, anytime we get the slightest bit of weather our trash man refuses to go down our street saying it's not safe. Which is interesting because the same company sends three different trash trucks thru our hood on the same day - one for trash, one for recycle and one for yard waste. There are three different trash companies that pick up in our hood, and all of their trucks, and all of the other trucks from our company had no problems at all doing their rounds! So, mine and all the others in our hood are still sitting on the curb as a form of protest and shaming.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

We got nailed here Tuesday with about 1.5" of snow followed up with what I would guess to be about 2/10-3/10 of ice that now has a couple more inches of snow on top of it.

If your trash man thinks your road is treacherous, he would likely never come down mine even when it's dry.....it's supposedly a paved highway but is actually the worst maintained stretch of paved road I have ever been on. We had our trash guys show up Wednesday after the snow/ice storm which was a day early since they usually show up on Thursdays. That drive would have certainly ranked as treacherous and I was actually shocked they came.

MiniDave

Yeah he had no excuse except maybe he wanted to get off work early.

so when my wife called and asked what we were supposed to do with this weeks trash since the bin is completely full, they said just put the bags out next to the bin next week.....now my trash hauler uses those automatic bin lifter trucks, they never get out so I'm betting they'll still be there after he does his run. Lazy sumbitch....

I do have another green bin, I'm thinking I'll just park it out there and see if he'll take them both. I have a lot of old car parts to get rid of... :(

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So Dave, if I understand you correctly, you have a choice of trash companies?  (We do here where I live). If so, time to switch or strongly threaten to switch.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

We signed up with these guys because they have a "seniors" program that makes it considerably less expensive than the other guys....and we're on a 2 year contract. If the weather's nice he does fine....   ::)

The third company came thru about a year ago and they were only a little more expensive than these guys, but my neighbors who signed up with them say they've increased their rates twice already......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hmmm. Maybe some photos of all the other trash/recycling/yard waste trucks successfully navigating your snowy street sent directly to your trash company would further the shaming - or them addressing the "issue".
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S