Best buy or worst buy?

Started by 94touring, December 02, 2020, 10:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

This year I bought Jen one of these fancy coffee makers for Xmas.  The kind that grinds the beans, froths the milk, fancy and expensive. We're coffee people and our morning routine is make coffee and sit on our patio when it's nice out or couch when it's not. Thought I'd snag one from bestbuy online while I was in Baltimore last week, it would be shipped to the house (my part in the the fight against Rona), and that would be the end of that transaction.  I landed in Tulsa and as I was walking to my truck got a call from the one security guard where I live.  He said geek squad is here with your package.  I said who the hell is geek squad.  It's from bestbuy.  Oh ok well just have him set it on my patio, I'll be home in 15 minutes. Get home, no package.  Called the security guard and he said yeah I gave him instructions on how to walk around the building and past the pool to your place, guess he left instead.  Then I went online to my order and saw the attempted delivery was 4:54pm stating inaccessible address, which is funny cause he made it in to the property just fine. I arrived home right at 5pm.  Here's the best/worst part.  Rather than make a 2nd attempt or have it at the store for me to pickup, they made an immediate cancel and refunded my money.   I sent an email telling the saga to bestbuy but that went unanswered.  I decided to say fuck them and ordered from someone else on ebay.  Coincidentally $70 cheaper and free delivery by the 7th with fedex.

MiniDave

I don't think you can blame the whole company for a bad delivery driver - but good that you saved some money. Things are crazy right now, and I can't image how bad it's going to get over the next few weeks.

I am surprised they didn't try another delivery tho, definitely some messed up communication there somewhere.

I'm torn between trying not to buy anything during the holiday season, and trying to get orders together for parts from England before the end of the year (Brexit stupidity)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well I can when they don't respond to a customer complaint!  No service equals no money from me.

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on December 02, 2020, 10:33:15 AM
I'm torn between trying not to buy anything during the holiday season, and trying to get orders together for parts from England before the end of the year (Brexit stupidity)

I placed an order with Mini Spares last week for some basic maintenance stuff for my Mini.  It was originally scheduled for DHL delivery tomorrow.  I just got an email saying it will be delivered today.

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on December 02, 2020, 10:47:16 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on December 02, 2020, 10:33:15 AM

I placed an order with Mini Spares last week for some basic maintenance stuff for my Mini.  It was originally scheduled for DHL delivery tomorrow.  I just got an email saying it will be delivered today.

They're almost always really good.  And if something happens they email explaining.

MiniDave

I placed a big order of suspension parts from Mini Sport and requested DHL even tho it was more money - at least they get my parts to me in a reasonable amount of time - once Sport manages to ship them that is......ordered 2 weeks ago, delivery today.

One thing I appreciate about Spares over Sport - you get updates on order fulfillment and shipping from day one....with Sport, I didn't hear a thing till DHL said it was on the way.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Jims5543

We call Best Buy Amazons showroom.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on December 02, 2020, 11:52:46 AM
We call Best Buy Amazons showroom.

Bass pro shop is that way for me lol. 

cstudep

I tend to use amazon as my window shopping place holder. The wish lists you can set up there combined with the vast variety of goods means you can find just about anything and organize it quite well.

When I decide to buy something I then try to go find it somewhere else at a comparable price so I am not funneling yet more of my money into the amazon coffers. It is actually surprisingly easy to find most things other places for a comparable price.

tsumini

Quote from: cstudep on December 02, 2020, 12:45:39 PM
I tend to use amazon as my window shopping place holder. The wish lists you can set up there combined with the vast variety of goods means you can find just about anything and organize it quite well.

When I decide to buy something I then try to go find it somewhere else at a comparable price so I am not funneling yet more of my money into the amazon coffers. It is actually surprisingly easy to find most things other places for a comparable price.
I do the same and usually find price equal or slightly better but then get to the shipping and it ends up in Amazon's favor.

BruceK

Yeah. Shipping & Handling is still a big profit center for many businesses.   With Amazon setting the gold standard of "free shipping" I can't imagine things not changing for other companies.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tsumini

Yeah businesses lose a lot of sales by overcharging for shipping. They have to overcharge to make up for the loss of sales.

ve9aa

Some companies are run by idiots, or there are so many levels, one level doesn't know what the other level is doing.

I got a parcel shipped here recently from Europe.  When DHL Courier emailed me, there was an option to forego a signature (I did that) and to put in special instructions.  On 2 places on the form I put "Side Door next to garage" . I do that, so packages are not visible from the street.

You guessed it....it was put smack dab in the middle of my front porch.

Wasn't the drivers fault (I guess?). Nowhere on the parcel were those instructions.

The kicker is that if he has them electronically on his iPad or whatever and actually read them, he could've literally dropped this package out his drivers window beside the door, but as it was he had to walk up a concrete walkway, then 10 stairs and put it up on the deck.

I live out in the country and package theft doesn't happen much, but its not nonexistent.

I know from decades ago when I was in the taxi and delivery business as a dispatcher that a good portion of the workforce has limited mental capacity...(or just doesn't GAF) ..and for some others it's just a stepping stone to the next job.

YMMV
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

I have that issue when I order food.  I'll add a note saying " walk around building, past pool, to townhouse".  Then I get a call "I can't get in the building meet me downstairs".

G67mcs

People don't like reading and comprehending instructions. It's that simple.
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

gr8kornholio

Tell me about it. We just enlightened some friends that you are supposed to bake the taco shells you get in a box.  Instructions right there.  They were amazed how much better they taste.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 23, 2020, 07:22:34 AM
Tell me about it. We just enlightened some friends that you are supposed to bake the taco shells you get in a box.  Instructions right there.  They were amazed how much better they taste.

That's hilarious  ;D