Tap Strap

Started by MiniDave, November 24, 2020, 01:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Does anyone on here have one of these? If so, what do you think of it?

It's been out since 2018, so I'm sure it's long enough to get the bugs worked out. I find it to be really interesting tech!

https://www.tapwithus.com/meet-tap/?gclid=CjwKCAiA-_L9BRBQEiwA-bm5fkjAM52t7D-uMu09UqhEQ_HfiXR_OgMIRDae_pfje__zcHx-gbQSMBoCkxsQAvD_BwE

It says it works with phones, tablets, laptops, PCs and smart TVs....sort of a one size fits all portable mouse and keyboard combination. As Spock would say.......fascinating, Jim!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

From my perspective it looks incredibly complicated to learn all new finger combinations for all the characters.  When I use a QWERTY keyboard such as on a laptop, I am way past looking for keys. I just subconsciously know where everything is and typing is just "automatic".  I think and all my fingers just type what I'm thinking.   I'm sure it's that way for most of us that grew up using keyboards.   And on my phone, it is virtually the same thing - except I am typing with just my 2 thumbs on the same QWERTY keyboard on my phone.  My thumbs just "know" where each key is and the only thing that slows me down a little is when I need to type a number or a special symbol - then I look for them.

I'm sure with this Tap Strap a user or can become so proficient that thinking of the key desired becomes second nature.  But why?  I don't see any advantage to this contraption.  Also, with all the typing done with a single hand - rather than sharing the work with both hands - that would invite some additional aches and pains I would think on the hand used.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Also, looks like it is RHD  ;D only.   That's kinda weird.  I'm right handed like most people, but I prefer to do certain tasks with my left hand such as using a mouse, and eating with a fork or spoon.   Completely ignoring the left hand is strange IMO.  Kinda surprised they didn't offload some functionality for the left hand.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

No, it says it's also LHD, all you have to do is change it in the app somehow.

I type on my phone with one finger, on my keyboard I use two, sometimes three fingers, but I always have to look at the keys and I make a lot of mistakes even while looking at them.

I also think it would take me quite a while to learn how to type with this thing, but I like the idea of one mouse kind of thing to operate all my devices, and that it is portable from device to device. I don't know that I would wear it all the time - just put it on and leave it on - or what .....

I find it interesting tech for sure....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad