Way Off Topic - Tremec

Started by tmsmini, November 24, 2020, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Why would I ask this question here in  Mini forum? I believe there is alot of automotive knowledge here.

Tremec just came out with the TKX transmission. I have some knowledge on American cars, but not alot.
My son has a 1967 El Camino 327 with a 4 speed.. We think it has the hi-performance engine, but the transmission got swapped at some point. Most likely it had a Muncie when it started its life, but it now has a Saginaw that probably came from a late 70s car. It has atransmission controlled spark connector on it.

The engine is coming out and it makes sense to do something with the transmission as it leaks a bit. I found someone who can rebuild the Saginaw, but he has not given me a quote yet. There are people who sell the rebuilt Muncie as well. People on the El Camino forums seem to strongly suggest the Tremec TKO, but now they came out with the TKX.

It seems that some installation require a good but of custom installation which I most likely cannot do.

Anyone with experience with a Tremec installation?

MiniDave

My first questions are what is he going to do with the car? Is it a drag racer? Street racer? Custom cruiser? Is he trying to keep it original? would he prefer a 5 or 6 speed for highway use?

My point is the easiest route  is to simply rebuild the current trans as you know it fits and works.

So what is the advantage of the Tremec to the build?

Don't they offer kits with the proper adaptors? Seems like since it's going in one of the most produced and hot rodded cars on the planet, there should be a bolt in kit available?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Had an uncle that used to have a Mustang II drag car that utilized a Tremec. It worked well but was not cheap, at least at the time.

Aside from (at least in his case) a custom driveshaft and transmission mount it basically just bolts right up so long as you get one that is designed to be bolted up to whatever engine you have. They have a few different versions for ford and GM I believe and with the multiple places you can place the shifter I would think one of them would likely land where you needed it to.

The TSC can be bypassed I believe, by just hooking the vacuum advance up to the carb rather than through that device.

The Tremec seems a bit overkill though unless he is planning to race it, or if the price happens to be somewhat in line with what a rebuild would be. But that is probably highly unlikely. I have no idea what they cost these days but I do not believe the Tremec is a very cheap option. As Dave says easiest route is to rebuild what you already have since you know everything already fits.

MiniDave

I do see kits available for both Ford and GM cars, but no one shows prices unless you fill out a form with all your car's details - so no idea on cost. I like that the smaller size means it's adaptable to more different cars than the usual Mustang or Camaro...I'm thinking Jag E-types and such.....it's also supposed to be lighter so it could be adapted to many front drive engines in a rear drive application so a Lotus 7 and such.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I think back a few years ago that many people adapted the T-5 to fit a range of customs and hotrods. I am not sure when Tremec bought the Borg Warner T-5 design. At some point they came out with the TKO which made it easier to adapt and companies offered kits for it. The TKX makes it even easier.

The car is just a driver. My son has lived in San Francisco the last few years, but he moved back home as the film industry has pretty much shut down. The car with the four speed was not practical for thecity.

A non-leaking tranny would be nice as it wont leaves oil spots in the driveway.

Some installations say they require custom cross member and drive shafts.

This is from Summit Racing, but I am pretty sure you need an installation kit as well.
$2600
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-tcet4616

jeff10049

Im confused, The four-speed should only be good for the city? The advantage of the tremec is hwy cruising at a lower rpm. we just put one in a 67 corvette and it is so worth it totally transformed the car for speeds above 55 mph.
I have done a number of them if you have questions but it won't help city driving one bit if that is a concern it's about the same 1st through 4th gear.

Jeff

tmsmini

It is the hills in San Francisco that making driving a manual car a pain, even in a Mini at times. The car has just been stored at our house. The hills will be a challenge no matter what transmission is used.

The idea is to make it more useful for freeway driving and get a known non-leaking tranny.

I cant tell for sure but it looks like most of the info on the sites is about the TKO at this point.
Modern Driveline
https://www.moderndriveline.com/product-category/transmissions/5-speed-transmissions/tkx/gm-tkx/
https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop/solutions/gm-conversion-solutions/chevy/64-67-chevelle-5-6-speed-conversions/

American Powertrain
https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/transmissions/tremec-tkx-5-speed-tuet17722-gm-26-spline-81-5th-gear/

Silver Sport Transmissions
https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/1964-1967-gm-a-body.html

Jeff: I may get in touch with you at some point.

jeff10049

we used American powertrain for the corvette mostly because their shifter mod puts it in the right location under the console and you don't need to mod the tunnel.

Unfortunately, the good stops with that the actual shift lever they send is not even useable like some rat fink thing sticking all the way up by the clock we stopped lowering the body right before it tore the factory boot that normally has the bellows part facing down it was completely reversed and stretched up tight. I seriously don't even know how they can sell it and think it's ok.

And the shifter part on the trans that they do leaked and had to be resealed after doing that and cutting about 4" off of the shifter and also cutting the two-bolt mount off the trans and tig welding the shifter right to the part that bolts to the transmission stem we got an acceptable result.

Most cars other than corvette have more room are easier in my experience. I would use American powertrain again on a Vette only because of their side-loaded shifter arrangement other than that I am not impressed and would probably choose another vendor for any other car.

I have used and was happy with silverspot their version just doesn't fit a mid year vette quite as well.

If only we could have got a TKX for the vette smaller would be great in that application but they just came out and won't even be shipping until the end of the month. I have not yet installed a TKX in anything. We are doing A 66 Vette soon so maybe.

tmsmini

Most places say December delivery for the TKX, but I would not be surprised if that gets pushed.

With my son basically out of work, it is up to me to help out with the financial end. I would just like to get it to the point where he can just drive it if he chooses to.
It has a decent paint job from 20 feet, but the previous owner did not prep it well for paint.

jeff10049

looks like the tkx will be offered with a 3.27 first in the wide ratio. That might help with the hills a little unless that Saginaw came from a vega then he may have a 3.50 first gear already.

Most likely he currently has a 2.84 or 2.54 first so going to a 3.27 would be nice.
That and upgrading to a diaphragm clutch from the old 3 finger helps for smooth starts as well.

Oh and I probably wouldn't put money into the Saginaw with a hi pro engine. Take it to the swap meet.