Brexit Effects

Started by MiniDave, November 23, 2020, 11:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I used UPS on this one.  It was significantly cheaper.

BruceK

A post-Brexit trade deal between the UK and the EU was announced today that agrees on no tariffs or quotas.    That should quiet things down and fill the speculation void.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

4 freaking years of turmoil to come up with this? good grief.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Trade is just one part of Brexit.  The significant part is that UK regains its sovereignty and is able again to make its own laws and policies again instead of having to go along with whatever some EU bureaucrat - accountable to no one - in Brussels decides.  This is what a majority of voters in the UK agreed to when they decided to Leave the EU rather than to Remain. 

With Brexit, as with any messy breakup there are pros and cons, winners and losers, but the fact of the matter is the UK has asserted its right for self-determination.  And there are other cracks in the EU facade as other countries may considering leaving the union as well.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: 94touring on December 22, 2020, 11:04:14 AM
I just placed a huge order with minisport.  I usually expect them to take 2 months to ship things to begin with, so the clock starts now.

Set to be delivered tomorrow. So took 2 weeks. Not bad.  I have orders from minispares being sent out in their standard under a week time period as well.

MiniDave

Yeah, my stuff from Sport took about 2 weeks also, most of my orders from Spares are here in 10 day or less....

Just so we're not double ordering - I got the new wheels and tires for the Pup on this order, I also got new windshields for all three of his cars, w/s seals and chrome fillets.

As far as Brexit goes, it doesn't seem to be having a big effect on us other than shipping costs are up, all of my orders seem to trigger the customs duty where it used to be only orders over $1000 did, and they are out of a LOT of stuff these days.

It is wreaking havoc in Europe tho, folks in France and the Netherlands are absolutely shut down on parts from England. The tax rules are so complex no one can figure them out and who knows what's happening at the borders....last I saw the line of trucks trying to go both directions was miles long trying to get thru customs.

Too bad they couldn't have got all this sorted out in the last 4 years instead of the last 4 days.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm just the suspension guy for Bill.  It will be rolling around for the engine to be dropped in, then shipped out.

MiniDave

OK. You want the old wheels and tires?

My plan is just to drop the motor in and bolt it down, then ship both cars back to him with all the extra parts and such in the trailer....he can take it from there.

Clancy has offered to ship them, I'll put the two of them together and they can work it out.

I have an exhaust system for him too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'd never use these things lol.  Heavy ass 13s! I think he just sent them for me to roll it around the shop floor. 

MiniDave

OK, they can go back in the trailer with the Pup.

Clancy is delivering the White car back to him next week.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Having both of his cars shipped at once will be the easiest.  It's kind of a pain to have things shipped from my place with my schedule.

MiniDave

I agree, but he wants the white car back now....and Clancy's schedule is free to take it right now. I left the arrangements up to them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A local guy tried to order wheels and tires from JBW, they said they were out of stock and didn't know when they'd get them......he said the ship is at the dock with their containers of stuff but it's not being allowed to unload.

I also heard there was a mile long que of trucks at the border waiting to cross and an equally long line waiting to come in and nothing has moved for days now.

I have a fairly large shipment of big things (tires, wheels, windshields) coming, shipping was almost $600!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I can't speak to issues with JBW, but there was indeed a line of trucks at the border in Dover last week. 

However it was due to COVID-19 restrictions from France, and had nothing to do with Brexit.  Post-January 1st, trucks in and out are flowing smoothly.  If you are relying on the BBC to get news (or really any of the London-based news media) you're getting a very biased and negative view of Brexit.   I expect anytime a shipment has an issue in the foreseeable future, fingers will be pointed at Brexit.  It might be true sometimes, but it might also be the go-to scapegoat.

Here's what's really happening in Dover.  https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/how-calm-port-dover-looked-4853772.amp
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, the guy at JBW didn't say why the shipment was sitting on the boat - the Covid makes more sense.....especially as I'll bet the container is from China, not the EU.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, I don't know if it's a Brexit effect exactly, but less than a month after they shut their doors after being acquired by Moss - I sure do miss Victoria British!

I have two Sprite transmissions to build and I'm having to try and find a good parts source - Moss is out of key parts like bearings, synchros and gaskets, Winners Circle the same, and since one of these is being rebuilt with straight cut race gears -  the outfit I used before in England for gears and such and hoped to get another set from isn't answering their emails.

I guess I'll have to get an international phone account so I can call these guys and find out if they're still in bidness.

Anyone have a good US or even English source for Sprite parts, other than Sprite Mania?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on January 14, 2021, 12:05:54 PM

Anyone have a good US or even English source for Sprite parts, other than Sprite Mania?

You try Guessworks in the UK. He only does transverse boxes but he may know someone that does the others.

cstudep

I have these in my bookmarks because they sell "British car stuff". Not sure if they will be helpful or not.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/austin-healey/sprite.html

https://www.sportsandclassics.com/

https://bugeyeguyparts.com/

94touring

Quote from: 94touring on January 04, 2021, 10:24:06 AM
Quote from: 94touring on December 22, 2020, 11:04:14 AM
I just placed a huge order with minisport.  I usually expect them to take 2 months to ship things to begin with, so the clock starts now.

Set to be delivered tomorrow. So took 2 weeks. Not bad.  I have orders from minispares being sent out in their standard under a week time period as well.

Or not.  So not brexit related that I'm aware but more UPS being really bad at delivering packages.  The following days after expecting this to be delivered I received emails saying a signature was required, so I went online and gave the thumbs up to have the management office here sign. Then I got more emails so figured I'd have them just leave it on my patio sans signature. Then more emails saying signature required.  So I called. 15 minutes of navigating through the automated system got a half wit on the phone who didn't give me much confidence.  Nevertheless I wrote down his instructions and filled out a form and emailed it to UPS per his instructions. I also sent Minisport an email letting them know that we had a problem and they probably need to investigate.  Days passed and the onslaught of emails saying a signature was required (no shit) and then Minisport emailed me this very detailed customs form for me to fill out. After reading the form it became obvious it wasn't for me but rather for them.  Unless I import 50k worth of parts and have 2 corporate officers to sign the form.  So back and forth some more via emails. Mike Guido has been helping out now and there's been a big back and forth with UPS and the UK.  Still not resolved but Monday I think is the day.  Also on the one UPS form it said there's a $20 a day storage fee accruing.  So I'm excited about that.

MiniDave

What all is in the shipment? Disc brake kit , Smooth a rides and suspension bits?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah that's pretty much it. Enough stuff to build subframes.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on January 15, 2021, 03:36:05 PM

Also on the one UPS form it said there's a $20 a day storage fee accruing.  So I'm excited about that.

I hope you mentioned the Stoughton failure-to-deliver-in-timely-manner fee of $30 per day.   

You're gonna make a bundle!  4.gif

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on January 15, 2021, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: 94touring on January 15, 2021, 03:36:05 PM

Also on the one UPS form it said there's a $20 a day storage fee accruing.  So I'm excited about that.

I hope you mentioned the Stoughton failure-to-deliver-in-timely-manner fee of $30 per day.   

You're gonna make a bundle!  4.gif

You get a complimentary shirt though.

BruceK

Every time I pass a tractor trailer with that I think of you.  Isn't that sweet?   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I bought some stuff from the company store.  Maybe UPS should use Stoughton trucks to deliver my parts.