Tools - Battery vs Air

Started by MiniDave, November 19, 2020, 09:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I love both my air powered tools and the ease and convenience of battery powered ones, and I realize each can be better for specific uses.....

The knock on air tools of course is that you need air - that is an investment all it's own - between compressor, hoses, reels, fittings, shut off valves, water drain valves, filters etc, etc etc. plus the tools of course.

A million years ago I bought a set of air tools from Harbor Freight for $100, and my little 20 gallon CH air compressor came with it's own hose - that cost about $200. so for $300 I was in bidness. I still have that compressor 30 + years later and it's still plugged in and working today! Oh, and of those tools, only the 1/2" drive impact wrench died and has been replaced, all the others still work as they did the day I got them. One of the advantages of air powered tools over electric is that they never get hot, and if you have a large enough compressor, the "battery" never goes dead. Also, there is a large variety of different uses you can plug your air "battery" into that you can't with electricity - blast cabinets and airing up tires come to mind. But as my little compressor proves you don't have to go crazy to get a good workable system.....I even bought a cheap $25 sand blaster and cleaned a LOT of parts with it - it wasn't quick as I had to let the compressor refill after each part, but it did the job.

Battery powered tools are nothing if not convenient - a lot of guys swear by them and for good reason as the new lithium ion batteries are smaller, lighter and more powerful - but - what happens when the batteries fail? It gets expensive in a hurry. I have a Sears 1/2" drill motor that I've bought 10 times over in battery costs alone and the new LI batteries are way more expensive than these - and these are way more than I think they should be. I have boxes of otherwise perfectly good battery powered tools that I can't use anymore because I can't buy batteries for them, or the new batteries are more expensive than simply buying a new tool with new batteries!

The battle rages on - and I'm sure for the guy just tooling around in his shop on the weekend a big air compressor and a drawer full of air powered tools is a waste - but for me, if I'm taking something apart that needs power - I grab my air tools.

I'll keep on using my battery powered 1/2" drill as long as I can reasonably get batteries for it but I don't see me buying any more battery powered tools for my shop.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I use air tools religiously.  Getting that 998 off the subframe by means of taking suspension/axles/brake hubs off, went quick and effortlessly with my impact wrench and ball joint splitter.

MiniDave

I like using my drill as a nut runner, but it's just as easy to grab the air tools.....but we already have air in our shops - for someone like Don, it would be a substantial investment for something he doesn't use that much. I gave him a plug-in Dewalt electric impact wrench that actually works really well - it doesn't have the power of a good air impact but for popping wheels or suspension nuts and bolts off it works fine. It even took off the axle nut on his Pup.

Don would be a perfect case for using a battery powered impact if he didn't have the one I gave him to use.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Like you guys, I have and use both regularly. I do a lot of construction type work so I wouldn't trade the battery powered tools I use in that field for anything. Working in the shop though I find air tools to be quite useful. The biggest advantage to air tools I find is they stay cool. So grinding/cutting metal, sanding, etc.... Air tools all the way.

That said I wouldn't trade my 1/2" Milwaukee impact for anything. It has more torque than any other impact I have seen air or electric (1500 ftlbs I think). I have yet to find a nut or bolt it either won't loosen or snap off, so one does have to use caution. It spun the front hub nuts off a 1 ton dodge like they weren't even tight. I could not break them loose using a 3ft pipe on a 3/4 breaker bar with me standing and bouncing on it.

MiniDave

I agree that they are useful, especially out in the field as compared to in your shop - BUT - what happens when that LI battery dies? The ones I saw were well over $120 each.....and what happens in 5 years? Will they still even be available? I don't think I'm unique in that many of my tools I've had for 50 or more years now and still use them. I can't see these battery impact tools lasting even 5 years, let alone 50 and still being usable. OTOH, I won't be usable in 50 years either!   ;D

As long as my air compressor runs, my tools will work.

Just as an aside, they make special sockets for removing really hard to get off stuff like Honda crank bolts and axle nuts on trucks - they have way more mass than regular black impact sockets, and that mass helps provide more of the impact's "bang" on the fastener.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

I'm on the other side = Battery life for me!

Back 10 years ago = got my house and garage .. that started the tool collection,  Small compressor, upgraded to a larger compressor upon undertaking a restoration / paint project.  The compressor was the tool to drive the sanders / grinders for that project.
But  as time has progressed, I'm not sanding / restoring  painting needing that air  so in my duties I need portability.

I'm a Milwaukee Fan .. my 1/2 impact is my go to for all lug nuts + larger hardware =  YES SOME nuts are not bustable with the Milwaukee cordless unit = then air Pap Pap rattle gun comes out.  that's about it for me + air for tyres.    I also hate having the air line around ( standing on)  dragging around all sides of a car .  getting wonky and in the way when under the car and such.  I also have had bad quality air tools My fault for buying. but when a crappy grinder or sander dies out= Nope = replace it.   I even had 1/4 + 3/8th drivers for air = Noisy = clunky gross.   My Harbor freight 1/2 Earthquake is awesome tho.

Pro's of battery.      Run to Pull a part = rip anything apart QUICKLY with power tools.
Change a spare tire away from the compressor = No problem with the Battery tool = Portability wins.

Now by having 2 good 18V Milwaukee batteries  my collection has grown to a portable fan (great for camping) + a Portable Vacuum..  I love them all = Their line for all sorts of construction all widely mixable by having a few batteries.

Milwaukee will also be my choice of power tool to get when my porter cable Drill / impact construction driver / 6 inch Circular saw give out ( batteries too).
   Their other line M12  line also have smaller drills / ratcheting drivers.. both 1/4 + 3/8th are beyond stellar!

Having the batteries lets your collection grow!  Batteries  ( lithium Ion are expensive = but last easily 3-5 years (non commercial use)

cstudep

Cost of batteries and life span is certainly a negative for the battery operated stuff but the lifespan of thr lithium batteries is a whole lot better than the old nicad stuff. I have had the same Milwaukee 18v stuff for at least 6 years now, maybe  closer to 8 and still use the original batteries. They do not last quite as long as they once did but still work well enough.

Quality air tools will last almost indefinitely though so I can certainly see your point there. I do love my battery stuff though and since I can write them off as business expenses that helps. LOL.

Red Riley

Not that an air version was even an option, (I don't know, anyone ever seen an air powered chainsaw?) but I love love love my Milwaukee 18V M18 Fuel 16 inch chainsaw. It took me a long time to finally bite the bullet and shell out what was a pretty good pile of change, but it is an AWESOME tool. It cuts through big logs for about an hour on a charge, then charges back up for another round while I'm cleaning up and taking a break. I'll never add another worn out gas saw to my junk pile.
The next time I wear out an angle grinder I'll definitely be going with a battery one.

MiniDave

I'm not exclusively on the air tools side either - dragging a hose around is a PITA for sure and yes it can get in the way.

My main objection other than cost is again - batteries. It just seems like I'm either buying them, changing them or charging them endlessly. Then you also need to find room to put the chargers and spare batteries when not in use or when charging them.

I agree with the portability part, def a battery powered tool is the winner there, as long as it does the job. But as Justin pointed out, sometimes it doesn't and then you have to go back in and get the big boy out, and drag the hose out.

Also, isn't the big battery impact driver like Paul mentions a lot heavier than an air powered one? I'm curious, that's all.....

Between the expense of purchase and cost of batteries, I'm not a big fan but I sure see the point.....and as they continue to get more popular maybe they'll continue to get better. Of course I probably won't be needing them by then!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: Red Riley on November 19, 2020, 01:27:21 PM
Not that an air version was even an option, (I don't know, anyone ever seen an air powered chainsaw?) but I love love love my Milwaukee 18V M18 Fuel 16 inch chainsaw. It took me a long time to finally bite the bullet and shell out what was a pretty good pile of change, but it is an AWESOME tool. It cuts through big logs for about an hour on a charge, then charges back up for another round while I'm cleaning up and taking a break. I'll never add another worn out gas saw to my junk pile.

I have a corded electric chain saw, and for around the home it is my go to saw - it cuts like a demon. The problem is when you're not home where you have access to electricity - either to plug in or recharge.....then you need your gas saw. But for around the home and for the low cost, it was a great choice for me.

I can see how buying the whole set of tools that all use the same battery is a good choice too....as long as they work well. Milwaukee and Dewalt seem to have the market there.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Quote from: MiniDave on November 19, 2020, 01:31:08 PM

Also, isn't the big battery impact driver like Paul mentions a lot heavier than an air powered one? I'm curious, that's all.....

It is fairly large and a bit heavy, the biggest problem I have run into is the depth of it. You can get those compact air impacts that can get into places this thing never would.

I will have it with me tomorrow if you want to take a look. I always take it with me on road trips with the truck and trailer. It will zip lug nuts off like nobody's business.

BruceK

I have an electric, corded, impact gun I got from Harbor Freight (or Amazon?) about 5 years ago. Neither fish nor fowl.  Works okay, but I don't use it often.  Most often I use a simple battery impact gun from Harbor Freight for under $100.  But my use is just occasional hobbyist level.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

That's what I gave Don to use too - a DeWalt corded electric impact wrench - so far it's worked perfectly for his needs. He even got an axle nut off with it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

I like my 3/8 dewlt 18V bat5tery drill. Whe one of the NiCad batteries wouldn't maintain charge I bought a two battery Li Ion replacement kit. They turne out to be POS. They were were dead the next morning. Couldn't hold a charge. Always had to have one on the charger. Terrible upgrade so i use the one 18V Ni cad i have left. My son has a Dewalt Battery impact driver that has worked well.

gr8kornholio

With the little I've done I've gotten away with good ole hand tools.  I did buy an electric impact gun cause I was killing my drill running the torsion bar bolts up and down on the Toyota.  Used it a few times breaking stuff loose.  I have a small disc grinder that is air powered but it makes my little compressor run non stop.  Did inherit a ton of snap on battery powered wrenches and impact guns.  Got enough batteries and chargers to never run out of juice.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

One thing I didn't see mentioned or I missed it.

SIZE SIZE SIZE I have a lot of air and battery tools and size for power air wins hands down every single time. My 1/4" air ratchet fits all kinds of places you could only dream of getting a battery one like timing belt covers.
I see younger guys in the auto mechanics field wasting exorbitant amounts of time because their electric won't fit and they never even bought or used air tools. So they f around with hand tools or take 4 times the stuff off for access because they don't have a clue there's a better way. It's actually painful to watch for a guy like me I'd be pissed off if I were paying the labor times because they won't use/don't have the proper tools for the job. Yet some of them insist air is dead oh well there loss if they work flat rate.

Don't get me wrong I like the battery stuff and it sure has its place but longevity is also an issue I've completely replaced the electric arsenal 4 times in my career so far so it's wasteful considering I've worn out like two air tools ever and have some that were grandads. And a quality compressor can last generations.
I started electric tools with black n decker/snap-on then Makita then Dewalt and now Milwaukee. All the previous are in the trash.  This new Milwaukee stuff is the best I've had so far and they have lots of neat tools.