People traveling? Or relocating?

Started by BruceK, November 17, 2020, 10:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I don't know what's going on during the pandemic, but the last couple weeks I've seen so many out-of-state cars around here. And I'm not talking about cars traveling on the interstate I'm talking about cars out in the suburban and rural areas.  I've seen New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, Idaho, Oregon, and of course California. So many California.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, we're supposed to be locked down, aren't we?

FWIW since I'm not out and about hardly at all, I'm not seeing the same thing......

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Bruce you didn't know you moved to just outside Texafornia? Previously known as Austin.  Since the Toyota move to the metromess the Californication is in full swing up here too. 

My guess is people are just done with staying home.  Probably assumption is if I go someplace small my chances are less.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

ADRay

I live in southern Maine, close to the New Hampshire seacoast, and the housing market here has exploded from people leaving Boston and New York. We bought a house July '19, and just refinanced to drop some points. Our house appraised at like 22% more than what we bought it for last year.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

We know people leaving NYC for good who have lived there forever. 

Jims5543

I think I mentioned this on here, in FloRida, we are getting over 1,000 new people per day moving here.

My builders cannot build houses fast enough, and existing homes sales are on fire.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

tsumini

No eyewitness here but have heard lotsa movement from urban areas. Low interest rates feeding the fire. Saw new interview of a Business owner pulling everything out of Los angeles and moving to Texas. Rural areas are tthe hotspots. irony is that most off them are probably liberal and will liberalize rural areas.

BruceK

Quote from: tsumini on November 19, 2020, 05:43:17 PM
... Saw new interview of a Business owner pulling everything out of Los angeles and moving to Texas. Rural areas are tthe hotspots. irony is that most off them are probably liberal and will liberalize rural areas.

It is more than ironic to try to recreate the failed policies and attitudes in the new place which had caused someone to flee the old place.  After all, that's what made the new place so much more attractive.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Humans are a dumb heard of sheep aren't they.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I find it interesting that the pandemic might drive people back out into the country - so many small towns have been dying off, maybe some will come back again?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on November 19, 2020, 07:55:28 PM
I find it interesting that the pandemic might drive people back out into the country - so many small towns have been dying off, maybe some will come back again?

That would be a great benefit, if there really are any, of the pandemic.  There's a lot to be said to living away from the troubles and congestion of the "big city".   

My sister, who just retired as a teacher, is leaving St. Louis where she has lived for nearly all her life and moving to a very small town in eastern Tennessee, up in the mountains.  I wonder how she'll adjust but she seems confident that the new location will suit her just fine. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I could easily move to a smallish town, as long as there was a fairly large one not too far away.....I would prefer the mountains of southwestern Colorado, or maybe northern New Mexico....someplace with significantly less humidity.

At my age healthcare becomes an important factor for location.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on November 19, 2020, 06:20:33 PM
Quote from: tsumini on November 19, 2020, 05:43:17 PM
... Saw new interview of a Business owner pulling everything out of Los angeles and moving to Texas. Rural areas are tthe hotspots. irony is that most off them are probably liberal and will liberalize rural areas.

It is more than ironic to try to recreate the failed policies and attitudes in the new place which had caused someone to flee the old place.  After all, that's what made the new place so much more attractive.

I fear that will happen here eventually.  Right now, you cannot tell there is a pandemic.  Our town is normal again, every business, including the grocery store, took down the mandatory mask signs.  We still wear them in the grocery store mostly to avoid some sanctimonious ahole from starting in rather than for protection. 

Restaurants / Beverage stores / Ace Hardware are all back to normal. 

I cannot imagine being in a place that is still locked down with no sign of it ending. 

Quote from: BruceK on November 19, 2020, 08:06:32 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on November 19, 2020, 07:55:28 PM

That would be a great benefit, if there really are any, of the pandemic.  There's a lot to be said to living away from the troubles and congestion of the "big city".   

My sister, who just retired as a teacher, is leaving St. Louis where she has lived for nearly all her life and moving to a very small town in eastern Tennessee, up in the mountains.  I wonder how she'll adjust but she seems confident that the new location will suit her just fine.

Where did she settle on?  We purchased a vacation home over the mountains in Western NC, the town is called Sylva.  (It was actually the location for a Superbowl commercial shoot) It was a cute little town that made you feel like you went back 60 years in time to Mayberry.  Real small time vibe, no need to lock your doors on your house, you just leave your keys in your ignition in your driveway.  I have a friend that lives there, he said he has not taken the keys out of his Porsche 944 the entire time he has owned it. No matter where he goes he just leaves the keys in the ignition. Not many places you can do that.

We wandered all over the mountains on both sides I wonder if I putted through the town she is in.

I am not sure how the Tennessee side is, the NC side was a little weird.  1st question asked when meeting someone new was, What Church do you go to?  I probably pushed a lot of people away when I said I did not go to church.    There was also a lot of alienation on the part of the locals towards new people in town.  I befriended a neighbor down the hill from my house, he was from Washington DC.  I mention the neighbor below me will not speak to me, he had turned his back on me and walked away as I tried to introduce myself.

The DC neighbor said, give it 5 years, they eventually warm up to the outsiders.  Wow!

There was a lady from NY who opened an Italian Restaurant downtown, she lived there a long time and was part of the community.  She was battling cancer, and in and out of the hospital a lot. One year around Thanksgiving she was back in, the community went to her house and her business and decorated them for her while she was away (with the house keep in mind no one locks them) they put a tree  in her house and decorated it for her.   Really heartwarming to hear stories like that.

We almost moved there full time, I was afraid of not finding work and if I decided to open a land surveying company, I was worried I would be rejected due to not being a local.  I didn't have 5 years to wait to be accepted. I also didn't want to have to go to church just to be accepted either.  LOL!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

My sister is Mountain City's newest resident.   It's got a population of about 2,500 so I'm sure she'll have to adjust to people knowing her when she goes out.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Just took a peek and do not know that area at all.  My FJ Cruiser was purchased off a cat that lived in Bristol which is not far from there.

Looks like a sleepy little town, someone told me the Tennessee side of the Appellation's is much friendlier than the NC side.

Well, I am jealous of her, she is living in a very beautiful part of the country.