And then I got sucker punched

Started by 94touring, October 30, 2020, 06:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Over here in Bulgaria out with some crew.  Myself and another pilot who were new hires and sim partners together and a group of flight attendants met up at a little bar by the hotel.  Some Bulgarian guy and his buddy invited themselves to our table to talk to the girls. I got up to use the bathroom and when I got back the girls were huddled together trying to get away from this guy, so I put myself between them and him.  My pilot buddy was preoccupied talking with someone else and wasn't aware of the situation.  Worth noting he's the size of the incredible hulk and bench presses cars.  Well the Bulgarian guy frustrated with me blocking him hit me.  Glasses off my face but unphased.  He hit like a girl.  I proceeded to mop the floor with him.  His friend must have realized in how much trouble he was in when the incredible hulk came over and so he handed my glasses to me and got his buddy out of there.  We ordered another round and stayed a couple more hours. 

Willie_B

Was almost afraid to open this one. It could be bad in several ways. But it sounds like it ended well for you.

94touring

Just some drunk idiot thinking he was tough.  Luckily he couldn't throw a punch. Don't really need a broken face to deal with.  He got the 1 in but didn't stand much of a chance after that. 

MiniDave

All that time working out with the heavy bag paid off!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ha!  His gut wasn't as hard as the heavy bag. 

Jims5543

Trying to work out  what you are dealing with here. Is Bulgaria  more Turkish or more Soviet, what kind of drunk tough guy were you dealing with here?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

cstudep

I've watched a lot of You tube Russian road rage videos, based on what I have seen guessing less soviet and more Turkish based on his description of events but never been there myself so Dan will have to weigh in. From what I have seen from the dash cam footage, fist fights that eventually turn into fights with some sort of weapons at the nearest stop light seem to be pretty common in Russia. Can't imagine the bars would be any less volatile.

Jims5543

More questions...

Did he put on a mask before approaching your group, or did he put you all in danger by punching you maskless?

Why are you not on a 14 day quarantine being from super spreader Amerika? 

How Dare you!!!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on November 01, 2020, 05:48:14 PM
Trying to work out  what you are dealing with here. Is Bulgaria  more Turkish or more Soviet, what kind of drunk tough guy were you dealing with here?

I'd say neither.  We currently are supposed to stay in our hotel rooms in Turkey due to terrorism and a tag on our heads.  5k is the going rate for killing us I was told.  People here aren't threatening.  No more than back home anyways.  I was more concerned about my glasses getting stepped on than getting my ass kicked by 2 guys. 

Regarding mask.  People don't wear them here.  Very few anyways.  Although the government shut down night clubs after midnight. Regular bars open till 24/7.  I heard on the American news Bulgaria shut down.  Completely false. 

Unless I get the covids quarantine doesn't apply to me.

Jims5543

75% Easter Orthodox which is what most of Russia is IIRC, Then Sunni Muslim and TBH, I am not sure what that means, IIRC to Sunni are more moderate, there is a mention that veils are not a mandatory requirement. That indicates to me that Sunni are less fanatic than a full on muslim.  They only account for 10% of the population.

I have to admit ignorance here.  It has been said that once the Muslim population hits 10% things change dramatically ( see no go zones of Sweden / Paris and Dearborn MI) so you might be in a perilous situation.

Keep the hulk (Channing) close by.   4.gif

John Gervais

Quote from: Jims5543 on November 01, 2020, 07:18:06 PM

I have to admit ignorance here.  It has been said that once the Muslim population hits 10% things change dramatically ( see no go zones of Sweden / Paris and Dearborn MI) so you might be in a perilous situation.

No go zones in Dearborn Michigan?

That's outrageous and un-American!
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Quote from: John Gervais on November 02, 2020, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: Jims5543 on November 01, 2020, 07:18:06 PM

No go zones in Dearborn Michigan?

That's outrageous and un-American!

Take a peek at the street view. Remember this is in Michigan.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2%B019'22.5%22N+83%C2%B010'24.5%22W/@42.3229289,-83.1756687,826m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d42.3229252!4d-83.1734799

drmini

Dan, glad you're ok. My guess is that you've probably encountered drunken idiots before.  As a side note, I hope you travel with a spare set of glasses.  It would be a shame to get stuck somewhere because you couldn't read the instruments.

94touring

Quote from: drmini on November 07, 2020, 05:17:42 AM
Dan, glad you're ok. My guess is that you've probably encountered drunken idiots before.  As a side note, I hope you travel with a spare set of glasses.  It would be a shame to get stuck somewhere because you couldn't read the instruments.

Mandatory I have a spare pair. But, I don't want my nice ones broken.

drmini

In the USAF they provide free glasses to any military person who requires glasses. They were referred to as "Birth control glasses" when I was on active duty because they were so nerdy/ugly that you'd never get laid with that look.  Obviously (based on your beautiful wife) you don't have that type of glasses even as a backup pair! 😆