Interior rear view mirror

Started by pbraun, September 08, 2020, 06:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbraun

Anyone have one of those gray/white interior rear view mirrors that fits on the frame of the windscreen? and, willing to part with it for a good cause? 

I am wondering about putting one on the moke.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MPlayle

When I restored the white Moke, I added a generic glued-on rear view mirror to the windshield.  I used either epoxy or super-glue gel to mount the base rather than the glue that came with the kit.  I wanted a stronger bond and had issues with the thin glue in the kits before.

pbraun

Sounds like a more functional, cheaper solution!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Scargo

Timely topic.

A few months ago, I purchased a standard Mini rear view mirror for the Moke from one of the usual US suppliers. I was unsuccessful at getting it to stay attached to the windshield using the self-stick tape that it came with. I was just as unsuccessful using various types of adhesives. I then decided to drill two very small holes in the mounting tab of the mirror and into the windshield frame. That has worked fine as far as it remaining in place, but it vibrates so badly it's virtually useless.

If someone here can recommend some type of industrial strength adhesive, I'd be willing to try that method one more time before rejecting the whole concept of a windshield mounted rear view mirror.

A word to the wise; with the top up the view out of the mirror is somewhat restricted.

MiniDave

My '89 Mini has the one that's attached at the top windshield frame and then uses a suction cup to anchor the bottom to the window itself. Worthless.....the suction cup part never sticks to the windshield for very long, then the mirror just hangs there, worthless as I said. I've tried new suction cups from MiniSpares, they aren't any better.

I finally resorted to clear silicone sealer on the one on Buzz to hold the cup to the windshield.

I think Michael's solution of buying a modern mirror that glues to the windshield is the better solution. Funny, I don't remember the ones that screw solidly to the header as being a problem....wonder why they changed?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on September 09, 2020, 08:32:58 AM
Funny, I don't remember the ones that screw solidly to the header as being a problem....wonder why they changed?

I cannot speak to why the interior rear view mirrors in Saloons changed.

The white Moke (and most pictures of early Mokes) did not have an interior rear view mirror, just the two side mirrors mounted to the windshield frame.

The yellow, late model Aussie Moke I once owned had an interior rear view mirror mounted on a fixed bracket that appeared to be factory welded to the frame.

The image in the mirrors on both Mokes was never very stable as the Moke's windshield is a large flat surface and gets lots of wind buffeting.  The late model Moke's perhaps had less due to the side "wings" providing a bit more stability against the wind buffeting.

pbraun

Hummmm.......... well, anyway, as they said in one of the early Cannonball Run movies, "what's a behind us donna matta"
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Scargo

I just gave the rear view mirror another go. I fitted my spare Bugeye mirror to the windshield frame using the same holes that I previously drilled for attachment of the Mini mirror. With the engine running, this mirror shakes just as much as the Mini mirror did. I'm certain that a mirror applied to the glass with industrial strength adhesive will shake just the same, since the entire windshield assembly vibrates while the engine is running. This very well could be one of the reasons UK Mokes never came with interior mirrors. The good thing is, the two exterior mirrors are rock solid and show no signs of vibration, so I will just continue to get along without the interior mirror.

---> It does seems a bit odd to be using the term "interior" when referencing a Moke <---

MiniDave

Ha!   ;D

So, are there any modern mirrors that are vibration dampened somehow? I suppose they would look out of place on a minimalist interior like a Moke has.....

Maybe that's why they went to the suction cup mirror on the sedans? Maybe the rubber cup dampens vibrations?

Oh, I know! How about one of those Wink mirrors that goes all the way across and mounts to the windshield frame on both ends?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on September 10, 2020, 09:50:05 AM
Ha!   ;D

Oh, I know! How about one of those Wink mirrors that goes all the way across and mounts to the windshield frame on both ends?

I tried a Wink mirror when I first got my mini. To make it where you can see out the rear it has to be so low you lose the top part of the windshield. Lasted about a week.

BruceK

On my '66 Moke, which only came with the twin side mirrors on the windshield frame, I just replaced them with some larger round mirrors that came off of an old truck.  Probably 4 or 5 inches in diameter.  Rear visibility was excellent.  I don't think a central mirror is needed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Red Riley

Quote from: BruceK on September 10, 2020, 10:45:24 AM
On my '66 Moke, which only came with the twin side mirrors on the windshield frame, I just replaced them with some larger round mirrors that came off of an old truck.  Probably 4 or 5 inches in diameter.  Rear visibility was excellent.  I don't think a central mirror is needed.

Considering the placement of the center mirror in any Mini, a good set of side mirrors would be way preferable. The problem is, most of the outside mirrors available seem to be pretty awful.  I remember years ago I lost the glass mounted mirror in my old Bronco when I had to replace the windshield.  I realized that the outside mirrors were more than adequate and never bothered replacing the center one.

Scargo

I agree that a center rear view mirror is not needed for me to feel comfortable driving the Moke because of the very useful side mirrors, but I wanted one for when my daughter drives it.

MiniDave

I prefer having an interior mirror, but just wish it would stay put!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 10, 2020, 11:38:57 AM

I've been really lucky with the mirror suction cup I got from MS about 5 years ago.  It keeps it's 'stick'.  Perhaps they improved the material used?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Red Riley

Quote from: BruceK on September 10, 2020, 12:19:24 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on September 10, 2020, 11:38:57 AM

I've been really lucky with the mirror suction cup I got from MS about 5 years ago.  It keeps it's 'stick'.  Perhaps they improved the material used?

I found a superior suction cup in the shelving bracketry section at Home Depot. It has stayed sucked on and stayed clear. The old ones I had always turned yellow and brittle after a while. The one I found had a knob on it with a hanger hook. I just yanked the hook off and carefully drilled a hole into the knob part just slightly smaller that the ball end of the mirror support to stick into. Been quite a few years that way.

Like this one:

BruceK

Sounds like a great idea. Super cheap and super available. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Scargo

I replaced the original suction cup mirror in my Mk.2 with one of these from Mania. It has the day/night function as well.