Suggestion for suspension dampers / shock absorbers

Started by John Gervais, June 23, 2020, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I'm wondering if anyone is using the KYB AGX or the KYB Gas-a-Just shocks, for how many years and how they like them.

I've had my current  KYB Gas-a-Just for many, many years (July 2006) and the car has now developed a 'hop/bounce' at 10-15 mph.  I suspect that it's from the front.  They haven't too many driving miles on them, but have been installed and the car sits for long periods.  Before I remove them to see if they compress/expand on their own, I'd like to plan ahead.

Alternatively, what else is there that won't break the bank, will last a long time and is 'fast-road' suitable for a heavy, lowered mini with 12"ers.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Really happy with my protec shocks and like gaz adjustable too.

John Gervais

Minispares sells Gaz, who sells Protech?

Found them:  https://www.protechshocks.co.uk/, but WAY over my budget (they also don't say what the compressed length is) - I'm looking at either a set for the front or a set for the rear, depending upon where the problem lies.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

gr8kornholio

I had the kyb agx on my slammed Toyota. Really liked them.  Of course it was more cruiser with the exception of when I found a smooth turn I kept it wound up. Handled well and pretty smooth.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

John Gervais

Quote from: 94touring on June 23, 2020, 02:36:07 PM
https://www.protechshocks.co.uk/protech-shocks-mini-teles-front-rear-package/

Click on length and it gives the specs. I don't think your link was to their mini shocks

I saw the mini shocks, but didn't see the lengh button - I guess I was 'shocked'.  It's a set of 4 (front and rear) which is probably a good deal, but I haven't the funds to replace all 4.  I could possibly do 2, but not all 4...
- Pave the Bay -

Rosebud

You might try having the front tires rebalanced. On the other hand, if you've put 1000+ miles on the car since the hop/bounce began, you may have worn out at least one of your front shocks as a result.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

John Gervais

Good idea, thanks - I've been wondering if perhaps the tires could use re-balancing so I might as well take 'em to be checked.  The mini hasn't gone a thousand miles per year in many years.  I've been averaging around 500 - 700 miles per year, but hope to do more.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

A hop or bounce at 10-15mph? Likely not a tire balance problem....I would look for a bulge or bad spot on the tire, like a displaced band in the tire's construction. Hit any bad pot holes lately? Easy way to test.....move the fronts to the back and see if the problem moves with them.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Rosebud

Quote from: MiniDave on June 23, 2020, 04:47:44 PM
A hop or bounce at 10-15mph? Likely not a tire balance problem....

You're right. I didn't consider the low speed range of the hop/bounce. If it's bouncing at 10 mph, it'd be unlikely to smooth out and higher speeds. Still, you wouldn't expect a bulge or a damaged layer to smooth out ether. Perhaps I misunderstood... does it in fact smooth out at higher speeds? 🤔
Rosebud

John Gervais

There's no visible damage to the tires, but I'll rotate them tomorrow.  It kinda smooths out at higher speeds, though there is a slight vibration through the steering wheel.
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

tsumini

Quote from: MPlayle on June 23, 2020, 09:12:56 PM
Flat spot in a tire from sitting?
I'd guess very likely.
I bought a 1973 Monte Carlo that had been sitting for about 5 yrs. I ended up replacing all four tires. Drove terrible. wobble, bounce etc

John Gervais

And so the update -

The tire shop was overbooked and understaffed, so I couldn't get the tires balanced or checked for flat spots today.  I decided to check the front shocks - they were firm/steady to compress and recovered smoothly, so I assume that they're fine for now (which will also give me some time to save up for some gourmet shocks).

Then I rotated the tires, or at least moved them around.  My garage Haynes didn't have a diagram and I couldn't remember the 'rule', so I whipped out the ol' cell phone and looked it up online.  Wouldn't you know, as I looked at the various non-directional tire rotation patterns, I neglected to notice that they're different between rear-wheel drive and front-wheel drive. 

I ended up doing a rearward cross instead of a forward cross, so I'll be swapping them L to R at each end tomorrow since the mini is front-wheel drive.

:-[
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Make sure the tires aren't directional.....I cross rotated the tires on my 2009 Clubby and could not figure out why the left front lugs kept working loose in only a few miles. Guess what ?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Yokohama A539's, asymmetrical, non-directional.
- Pave the Bay -

Rosebud

Quote from: MiniDave on June 24, 2020, 05:15:49 PM...left front lugs kept working loose in only a few miles.
I thought unidirectional tires were marked as such because of the tread pattern and possibly the direction of the fabric (and steel) layers. I can't imagine why there would be a problem with the lug nuts.  Oh, wait...  was this a joke? 🤔
Rosebud

MiniDave

No joke, I don't know if running them backwards set up some sort of vibrations or what, but twice in only a very few miles the left front wheel was loose......rotating them back to the correct side and I haven't had a bit of problem since, nor had I before I cross rotated them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Rosebud

Rosebud

Sybil

We're on GAZ dampers with a set of custom springs made by Minitastic.  Been on them 3 years now and several thousand hard miles later we still LOVE them. 

A lot of rubbish springs out there and have heard bad stories, Minitastic really knew his stuff though.