Back from Mexico

Started by 94touring, April 20, 2010, 09:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Got back today from another charter I had to do the past couple days to Guerro Negro.  Flew a guy and girl down to talk tomatoes again.  Flew in over the pacific and landed on a strip, drove another hour to the middle of no where and met the owner of Baja's Best Produce.  At first the guy was seemingly friendly till I guess he was pissed off by the idiot passenger I flew down there to buy/sell his produce.  Suddenly the owner very abrassively jabs me in the shoulder and wants me to leave the warehouse and production line because "I'm just the pilot and have no business being there and must leave at once".  There was a momentary stare down between me and the guy and then I looked at the idiot passenger I flew there like WTF asshole.  Remaining calm, but furious inside, I asked where do you suggest I go and then was banished to the office.  Friendly guy. 

After an hour or so of sitting around like a shmuck, watching mexican boys get their pictures taken to start work on the farm, a guy waved me to follow him to a room where there was a TV.  No 58" plasma, but he did turn it to english and said a few things in spanish and left me enjoy the solitude.  Fast forward another hour and a half and I'm feeling like...its 4pm down here and I haven't been fed anything yet.  Some kind of monsoon or windstorm kicks up like no ones business and the power goes out.  Guess I'm done watching TV.  I hope the plane didn't get flipped over.  About that time the cool spanish guy comes back and waves me to follow him again, this time threw in a whistle to get my attention.  Walk down some dirt road and led into a maybe 15x10 foot adobe hut, jagged concrete floors, and dirt.  Inside a woman cooking and a family (old woman, young woman, 2 kids, and man) getting ready to eat.  He points to a chair, whistles, and I sit.  Obviously no one here speaks a lick of english and my spanish consist of gracious in a southern accent.  The woman was a damn good cook and we ate fish tacos, huge shrimp, rice, tortillas, and all the Tecate I wanted to drink.  They kept them coming.  Felt kinda awkward at first not knowing what anyone was saying, but beer does wonders.

After an hour of enjoying the hospitality of these fine people my idiot passengers track me down and its time to check in at the hotel.  Time to go have dinner and drinks with the owner.  Wasn't pleased to have to be around the guy after what had happened earlier.  Get to dinner, out comes the wine.  After a bottle or so the owner decides to make a public apology to me, shakes my hand, and says a few nice words to smooth things over.  We drink for another 4 hours.

Get up early and fogged in.  Its ok cause I'm a little hung over anyways.  Idiot passenger (also private pilot with low time) wants to just take off over the ocean and fly to Hermosillo.  I should also mention idiot passenger also didn't want to stop in Hermosillo for fuel cause he thought we could make it back to Nogales.  After explaining we'd probably run out of fuel over the Sea of Cortez and be eaten by red devil (giant squid) he goes with my plan over a fuel stop.  I also explain we have no IFR charts to make it to Hermosillo and he says he knows it isn't fogged in there.  I wanted to punch him in the face for being so fucking stupid.  A. he doesn't know shit.  B. I'm not worried about fog there, I'm worried about an overcast layer that requires me to have charts to not flying into anything that would kill me.  C. we have no way to file anything IFR from Guerro Negro.  D. I'm the captain so "eat breakfast, go to the farm, take your time, and I'm relaxing in my room, come get me when the fog lifts so I can see whats really going on". 

Fog lifts and we take off for Hermosillo.  Get there and guess what, overcast layer at 4 thousand starting at the sea, which combined with sea fog, would have had me screwed royally.  Descend down under the layer and point out how little fuel we have.  Get everyone nice and worried, girl in the back says she feels sick, but I'm laughing on the inside.  Land, get fuel, and clear customs.  Idiot passenger doesn't understand why we have to clear in Mexico as well as the US and why we cant' just fly back to the US.  Irritable I say I don't know why, I don't make the rules but this is what they are, if we didn't have to, then why are we here and they're having us do it?  Silence from the croud of peons.  I tell him I'll have my boss explain when we get back to the US.  Which he does wonderfully, pointing out you can go to jail and have to pay 10k dollar fines if you don't file all the new Homeland Security crap and flight plans. 

I collect my charter fees, make a fat payday, come home, eat a slice of pizza, and watch my TV. 

Quote from: 94touring on April 20, 2010, 09:29:38 PM
I wanted to punch him in the face for being so fucking stupid.

I understand completely. With the warmer weather, business has picked up, and it seems like all of the know-it-all retards have come out of the woodwork. Gaaaaahh! 21.gif

Good you made it back ok! Lets see pics of the huge-ass TV!  ;D

94touring

Quote from: 481 on April 21, 2010, 08:11:07 AM
Quote from: 94touring on April 20, 2010, 09:29:38 PM
I wanted to punch him in the face for being so fucking stupid.

I understand completely. With the warmer weather, business has picked up, and it seems like all of the know-it-all retards have come out of the woodwork. Gaaaaahh! 21.gif

Good you made it back ok! Lets see pics of the huge-ass TV!  ;D

Needs someone standing by it to do the size justice (thats what she said). 

batman1usa

4.gif   You have exciting life...  I'll stay on the ground and be bored if at all possible.

MiniGene

Awesome story!!  I want to go with you next time! 

Did you forget the part about the Mexican family's TOTALLY HOT and TOTALLY 18 year old daughter? 

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

lol yeah no hot barely legal girls...although everything down there is legal. 

Did run into a guy I flew to Guaymas a year and a half ago today and he may start using me as his charter pilot from Oregan to Mexico.  I flew him down there a couple times before and was helping train a pilot he wanted to use, but the guy sucked and didn't work out.  The guy he uses now isn't much better I guess and a 3rd guy is a captain for Skywest, but isn't available very often due to his airline schedule.  So maybe I'll get some fun flying out of that deal too.  He may need me to take him to San Diego next week or so depending on our schedules.   

Jeebus that TV is massive! My housemate bought a 46" LCD when we first moved in to his house. I can't image a 58"!

Did it seem a lot bigger once you got it home? When we got his home it seemed like it grew to twice the size, they always look smaller in the store.... Hahahahaha

94touring

Yeah it did seem bigger in the house.   ;D

joltfreak

i'm looking to get a new tv .......58 inch would be cool!!!!
check out the official website for updates!!!!!