My Garage Build

Started by BruceK, June 05, 2020, 04:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

There was some initial progress today on the build of my detached 24 x 30 garage. After getting approval from the local Property Owner's Association (like an HOA but nowhere as petty, strict or authoritarian) recently, I hired a tree service to remove three trees and grind five stumps that were sitting in the area where the garage will go.   The tree crew was scheduled to do the work tomorrow but they surprised me ringing my doorbell early this morning to do the work.  Oh well, roll with the punches. 

Later on a "stump guy" showed up.  He seemed to be a subcontractor. I had seen a stump grinder machine at work before but this one was what I guess is the latest.  Completely remote controlled with a wheel of death at the front.  After less than 5 minutes, the stump guy was heading back to the trailer and I had to point back to 2 stumps he missed.  I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to get him to come back out to redo work he thought he already completed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

A Before shot with the basic footprint marked and trees sitting in it. And an After shot taken this evening.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 05, 2020, 04:50:59 PM
Progress!   77.gif

Yup, moving ahead.  I decided on going with a stick-built wood garage rather thank a steel building.  I like the look better and I think with wood it will be easier to insulate and modify things if I want to.  I'm meeting with the builder on Monday to put a deposit down and decide on some options such as windows, paint color, shingles, entry door location, etc. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Spray foam insulation if you can.  Stuff makes it like an igloo
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I'll be interested to hear what the budget turns out to be, all in. Going to add A/C? A window unit will do the trick, or a motel unit, or even a mini-split. All three will give you cool and heat if needed. Of course you'll need to run enough electricity out there to run it, but then you'll need that for the lift too!  :D

Gonna do the floors like your garage in Plano?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniGene

Exciting!  I'm watching this space!

tsumini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 05, 2020, 06:52:16 PM
Spray foam insulation if you can.  Stuff makes it like an igloo
Second this.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 05, 2020, 06:59:28 PM
I'll be interested to hear what the budget turns out to be, all in. Going to add A/C? A window unit will do the trick, or a motel unit, or even a mini-split. All three will give you cool and heat if needed. Of course you'll need to run enough electricity out there to run it, but then you'll need that for the lift too!  :D

Gonna do the floors like your garage in Plano?

Air conditioning, and the electricity to power it, will have to come later on when funds permit.  Right now it's just going to be a simple bare garage to store cars and stuff.  Epoxy for the floor will have to wait too.  Besides, the concrete is supposed to cure for a while before the floor can be coated.

Grinding a stump down 6" below the ground generates a lot of shavings/mulch, most of which fills the empty hole.  That's okay if you're growing grass where the tree used to be, but not so good to put a pad of concrete over it because the mulch will decompose and leave a void.  So I pulled all the shavings/mulch out, piled it up, and decided to burn it to get rid of it.  (Burning stuff is an advantage of not living in a city!). Plus I got to make fire!  4.gif

Here's the garage space as of this morning with the big black pile of ash.  The concrete crew is coming later today to build the forms. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

So, they don't have to excavate? They just pour the concrete on the ground? No base of crusher run 8" deep and compacted in 2" lifts?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 13, 2020, 10:25:53 AM
So, they don't have to excavate? They just pour the concrete on the ground? No base of crusher run 8" deep and compacted in 2" lifts?

No excavation. Remember there are no frost concerns here and the ground is basically solid rock with a little smattering of soil sitting on top.  They did apply a couple of dump trucks full of large aggregate followed by crushed stuff. It's probably 6" deep with deeper trenches around the perimeter.  Then they put a moisture barrier down and rebar on top of that.  They ran out of moisture barrier - looks like they didn't bring enough with them. They will lift the rebar up and put the moisture barrier down underneath it where they missed it earlier.

I just spoke with the crew leader and they will return Monday and install the rest of the plastic moisture barrier and finish the rebar.  I think the pour will also happen Monday.  But they can't get a concrete mixer down my driveway - low trees and it's an asphalt driveway that won't support the weight.  So they will have to buggy in the concrete - the contractor budgeted for the concrete buggy as part of the cost.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Progress!

Once the pad is down and cured then the build will happen fast!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Is the electricity coming underground or above? I'm guessing above if you don't have much soil depth.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on June 13, 2020, 03:45:51 PM
Is the electricity coming underground or above? I'm guessing above if you don't have much soil depth.

When electricity does come, I think it will need to be underground.   Going aerial would require the installation of a utility pole I think, and there are trees in the way.  Probably have to get a small rock saw to cut a trench into the limestone.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Concrete has arrived!   They are pouring it now.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Getting a good early start.....make sure they cover it and keep it damp for a few days to minimize cracking....as hot and dry as it is there if you don't you'll be disappointed with the final pad.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Using the spinning thingy.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Power trowel, gives a nice, smooth, even finish.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

G67mcs

Great progress so far!
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

BruceK

Concrete is done.  Forms are down.  I'm going to water it every few hours.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Did you add your name in the wet concrete? Even if it's under where the wall will go, just gotta do it.

gr8kornholio

Nice.  Same buggy they used for the pad of my shed.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on June 15, 2020, 02:37:59 PM
Did you add your name in the wet concrete? Even if it's under where the wall will go, just gotta do it.

It was my plan!  I went to add my name and date but it already hardened too much.  Bummer. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S