My new hero!

Started by drmini, May 14, 2020, 11:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmini

Well today the man in the big Brown truck came and brought me a large box.  In side the box was a Nikon total station theodolite with a data collector and other usefull bits!  JIMS5543 (a Registered Land Surveyer) sent this equipment to me as a gift so that I can survey my son's property and establish where the corners are and be able to point out the discrepancy in his deed.  Somewhere over the years someone lost over a 100' (on paper) from one of the sides.  Unfortunately it's critical to where he's putting up his new shop.  He bought a 54' x 30' metal bldg and has been desperately wanting to set it up.  Now we're going to be able to do that, and all because Jim "paid it forward" and gave me such a great gift.  Sadly though, it arrived on the day we're heading out to California.  Well, seeing as it's somewhat different than the Topcon total station and Husky Hunter data collector that I'm used to, I think I'll take the manuals with me for reading material on my trip.  I taught young USAF troops surveying when I was teaching in Texas, and that's what I used for surveying RAF Alconbury when I was stationed there.  Although different, they will work primarily the same.  Anyway, I am so grateful for Jim's generosity I just want to tell the world what this man (who's never met me other than on this board) has helped me!  Now I need to figure out what I can do to pay it forward!  What a great Mini community we have!

MiniDave

77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I am just happy your landlord did not get a gift.  ;D

Enjoy!  It is a bit dated but should work fine.  If you need any help I should be able to give some input, its been a while since I used that particular data collector and instrument.

The TDS software is pretty intuitive, if you are doing a lot of sitting on your trip maybe take the data collector with you and play with it,  I gave you a battery adapter that allows you to use AA batteries in it which makes it much easier.

You may be able to get a decent amount of life out of the 2 batteries for the instrument I included, it might be worth charging them both up and seeing how long they will last. They might work out for you.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy that bad boy, it made me a lot of money back before the housing crash. It owed me nothing.    ;D

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

Great to hear that it arrived and even greater to hear that you are feeling better Hugh.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara