Coolant - Anti-freeze - Best Results?

Started by Lone Star Mini, May 12, 2020, 02:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

in doing my research with coolant, I figured I need to ask the experts what their experience has been.  Friends in England are recommending Evan's waterless coolant.  Their advice seems sound, BUT...  they live in a different environment than those of us in Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma.   Therefore I must seek advice from you.  There are pros and cons to most coolants, but the one con against Evan's waterless (the way I see it) is that it boils at a much higher temperature, therefore could possibly cause far more damage to your engine if you don't recognize the signs while driving.

what I use in my other cars will most likely not be the same that I use in my minis..  but what do y'all recommend?
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Willie_B

I ran Evan's for a while. It seemed to run hot. After some online looking that is true, it does run hotter. Their main claim is no system pressure. I no longer use Evan's. Car runs cooler again.

MiniDave

Aluminum radiator and good old regular antifreeze (compatible with aluminum of course) works just fine.

As long as the engine is tuned correctly, this will work with no issues. I drive my classic in 90+ temps on the highway - never goes about the halfway mark on the gauge.

Example....  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-FOR-Racing-Classic-AUSTIN-ROVER-MINI-COOPER-Morries-1967-1991/193095634382?hash=item2cf5658dce:g:6GoAAOSwMvFdeGzF

Note, the bolts that hold the shroud on the original radiator were 1/4-28, the bolts for these are 6X1X10mm
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Thanks gents...   
@ Willie_B..  I do believe I will steer clear of Evans..  at least that is the way I'm leaning currently
@ MiniDave..  I did put in a radiator very similar to this one in my current mini although I do need another.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Richard1

Many years ago, I switched all my coolant sales over to HOAT. Being a hybrid, it is more tolerant of other things that people might add over the years, and, if not diluted with other types, will give you 6 years of normal service.

It also eliminates all boosters and SCA's that should be maintained at certain levels in the green stuff.