Bushing recommendations

Started by knowell, May 06, 2020, 10:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowell

Starting to feel a clunk when braking and going to go around and replace some bushings. Would like some feedback as to where to use poly/rubber/or solid mounts.

looking at this set here. has anyone had any experience with these poly kit

https://floflex.co.uk/product/classic-mini-1959-1985-front-and-rear-bush-kit/

MiniDave

I'm not a fan of the poly bushes, they can distort and not return to their correct shape under heavy or shock loads like from hitting potholes (of which we have legions here in KC, especially on the Missouri side) and they transmit vibrations that rubber doesn't

Just my 2¢

I buy the uprated rubber bushes from MiniSpares
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I guess it depends upon what you want to do with the mini; my 2¢ - I use a variety of materials and compounds and a kit like that wouldn't be my choice.

I use solid tower (C-STR640) and teardrop (S-STR641) mounts on the front subframe, standard mounts (21A2599MS) on the front subframe to toeboard, poly bushes in the post-1976 rear subframe trunions (C-STR638 & C-STR639), offset rubber bushes (C-STR632) on the lower suspension arms, hard & soft tie rod bushes (C-STR627), reduced-height and slightly tapered/re-profiled hydrolastic bump stops (use C-AJJ4007 kit, but trim about 3/8" or 1/2" off of the rubber (give minimum 1/4" clearance when car is lowered) and taper the uppermost sides slightly = progressive and comfy), standard rebound buffers (2A4267MS) 1-piece stabiliser bushes (KKF101320EVO performance use compound) on the upper engine stabiliser and the front/forward lower stablilizer, C-STR630 and C-STR630RACE on the rearward lower engine stabilizers - though I can't remember off-hand which side has which bushes.  The center exhaust hanger (C-19G3257, which I also use for the fuel pump - center screw mounted to the subframe web, the two holes line up perfectly to the facet fuel pump - which gives adjustable vibration dampening) and Maniflow's monstrous bobbins (HRM01) for the rear exhaust mounts.

I'm also using standard engine mounts, standard rubber cones on the rear and C-STR687 cones on the front.
- Pave the Bay -

knowell

@John Gervais thank you for the detailed info. I am leaning towards a mixture like yourself great feedback much appreciated.