It’s a fire extinguisher Jim, but not as we know it

Started by BruceK, April 15, 2020, 03:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

It looks more like an emergency road flare (remember them?) than a fire extinguisher, but I'm pretty excited about the technology of my new pair of fire extinguishers.   

I've carried a fire extinguisher in all my Minis since I was in college because I witnessed some serious events. Over the course of a single week back then I encountered two different cars fully ablaze on the side of the road - one a beautiful Porsche 356.  That was all the convincing I needed to get some fire protection for my car and I've had extinguishers on board my Minis ever since then. Back in the 1980s I even spent big bucks to on several halon gas fire extinguishers because they don't leave any residue when used. 

Fortunately I've never needed to use a fire extinguisher, so basically I've been replacing them over the years with new units when they get old and lose their charges. Cheaper and easier to buy a new one then try to get one recharged.

But I just got a pair of Element fire extinguishers and they remain operational indefinitely.  And they have several other significant advantages over a traditional fire extinguisher:

- 50 second duration, about 5 times longer discharge time than typical extinguishers
- non-pressurized so no concerns about leakage or high-temp storage such as in a car
- non-corrosive and with no discharge residue
- much smaller form factor so easy to store in a vehicle or shop
- maintenance-free
- non-toxic
- effective for classes A, B, C, and K fires

They are made in Italy and have European and German TUV certification, but they are not yet UL approved here.  Also, these fire extinguishers are not cheap.   They cost $70-$80 depending on the seller.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

I bought mine directly from Element but it looks like Pelican Parts has them on sale now if you are interested:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/MISC/POR_MISC_ELEMEN-detail.htm

If you follow that link there are videos available that show the fire extinguishers in use.

They are available from other retailers as well.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Looks good. Probably time to replace mine in the mini and truck.

BruceK

Brad, for a couple of bucks they will sell you a second mounting bracket.  Because they are so portable it's easy to move the Element fire extinguisher from one vehicle to another.  After all we are only driving one vehicle at a time.  Or, take the fire extinguisher from a wall mount in the shop to a mount in your vehicle when you drive it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I can't imagine needing it for anything other than a Mini!   :D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

What do you do about fires D-J?

May have to grab one for mine.  Hate to ruin that paint cause I put it back together wrong.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

tsumini

Little OT but my dad had this type glass bottle extinguisher on the firewall of his 1942 Ford Sedan . It had a bimetal trigger that broke the bottle when fire started. He put it in after a neighbors car caught on fire and they put it out with scoop shovels of snow.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 15, 2020, 04:26:16 PM
I can't imagine needing it for anything other than a Mini!   :D

Here, let me help your imagination.

(there's a certain theme going on here... see if you can spot it)   ;D

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Just passing this along in case anyone is interested: received an email today from Element saying that they are offering a 15% discount on their fire extinguishers with coupon code EFHS20 and also free shipping too. Plus a 2nd mounting clip free too (to easily move it between vehicles).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I never paid a lot of attention to fire extinguishers for the shop, even tho I have three of them - till they did the recall. After that I made sure all three were easily reachable and in good working shape - but I don't carry one in the car.

I know if I did it would promptly catch fire!   ;D ;D ;D  But these have so many advantages over a regular extinguisher that they make so much more sense to buy. Is the offer of 15% off for one or if you buy three?

I keep the ones in the shop right next to the doors - one at the back door near the solvent tank, one at the door to the upstairs, and one next to the garage doors, I figure it's more important to get me out of harms way then try and fight the fire. I don't know if that's the right idea or not? That's how we had them set up at the plant......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Not sure if it applies to multiple units.  Here's the gist of the email. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

On Pelican Parts is says 5% off for one, 10% off for two and 15% for three....just FYI. But that could be a different deal thru them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniGene

This is neat.  I looked up some videos on YT to see them in action and it looks like you have to get pretty close to the flames when using it.  I think if I were to make the switch from traditional FEs to these, I'd want to buy an extra one so I could give it a try.  I'd really want to get a feel of what it needed to get it started.  I've gone through probably 25+ FE training sessions in my life the "pull the pin, squeeze, sweep the base" is all I know!  LOL