Assembling pieces into one car

Started by Richard1, March 27, 2010, 06:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1

I've decided my next project will be a Mini if at all possible. At the moment it might be two minis.
One is an easier project, although based on feedback I need to replace the subframe. It is a 96 mini cooper, that they cut the subframe to convert to left hand drive (law) and I would need to figure out the valve noise.

But the one I'm most interested in is the pickup. It is in bad shape. I last saw it about 8 to 10 years ago sitting in this guy's yard, painted with latex house paint and a brush. Engine has been changed to a Isuzu that stopped running sometime before that. He said he was going to fix it up and wouldn't sell if for all the money in the world. Now he has let a friend know that it is for sale. I'm not asking the price till I figure out whether I can find the pieces to do it right, like I did with my Corvair.

I found someone who thinks he can import a whole front clip from Japan (everything from the windshield forward) from a late 90's mini cooper. I assume I could basically use most of that, but what else would I need?

I presume it won't be hard to adapt the front of a late Mini Cooper to the pickup. Am I wrong?

I forget the year of the pickup. 60's or 70's, so I assume 10" wheels? What is needed to change the back over to 12" if that is the case?"

What other parts would I need to change the right hand drive to a left hand drive as I put it into the pickup?

MPlayle

Everything in the "front clip" should work on either Mini (Saloon or Pickup).  The only difference may be to subframe tower mounts.  Early cars used two bolts/studs per side, later cars used one LARGE bolt per side.  I have heard that the subframes can be adapted either way.  The subframe from the front clip would likely be a direct replacement for the cut one on the Saloon.

For the change from RHD to LHD: the pedal boxes technically have a slight difference, but can transfer RHD to LHD without issue.  (The RHD accelerator pedal bar is shaped slightly different for fitting near the wheel well - not a problem going RHD to LHD, but a potential problem going the other way.)  The clutch and brake boxes and master cylinders transfer fine.  The steering rack does need to be changed to a LHD rack.  Then the pipes for the for the clutch and brakes will need the segments from the master cylinders to the first junctions replaced with longer pipes.  The steering column transfers fine.  If the destination car has the center gauges, not changes needed.  If the gauges are in front of the driver, then as a minimum, the mounting brackets will be different (RHD vs. LHD).  Based on gauge location preference (order left-to-right of the gauges), you may want to replace the gauge cluster; however, I think they were the same between RHD and LHD.

For going to 12" wheels, no changes are needed unless the front clip is equipped with disk brakes.  Then you will likely have to add the spacered drums at the rear with the longer wheel studs.  You may also want/need to change out the front-to-rear brake line pressure balancer/regulator to keep the rear brakes from locking up too quickly.

94touring

Rather than have half a car to use as the front clip, have you considered just buying new panels?  I imagine the floors are shot too among other panels if its in bad shape.     

94touring

Also as a guide since I have my 68 pickup project on the to do list, I can tell you I have all new front end panels, A-panels, door skins, floors, rear corners....you name it.  Plus lots of suspension parts I want to replace and tons of other parts I want or need.  I have a 2 page wishlist of parts to make a new truck.  Total bill is somewhere in the 5 grand neighborhood if I remember correctly.  Then I gotta buy my paint supplies and other odds and ends. 

Richard1

I asked for the engine/transmission assembly. He replied that it was probably easier for him to get the front clip than just the engine/transmission assembly. my guess is Monday or Tuesday he will let me know a little more.

If he says he can, I'll do a thorough inspection and improve my list.

Would the existing pickup steering rack work for the conversion with the new front clip? The pickup was originally built as a left hand drive in Chile.

94touring

Oh ok makes sense.  Pretty sure the existing steering rack would work.   

MPlayle

If the pickup was/is LHD already, then your job is a lot easier.  The pedal boxes and steering are already set up for you as well as the piping for the brakes and clutch.  The "front clip" will provide everything else without serious modifications required.

As Dan indicates: evaluate everything carefully to see what your actual starting points are.  There are likely areas that may require more work than we can guess about at this time and there may be some that require less work.  Pictures always help.

Richard1

Oh yea, pictures will be the thing. I have a few thousand of the Corvair, and it still wasn't enough at certain points.

I figured before even negotiating i'd better figure out where parts would come from and how generic they are. I learned with the Corvair that the 60 was quite unique, and even changed after the first few months.