Minidave's mini Mini shop

Started by MiniDave, February 05, 2020, 12:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Actually in Kansas, they make it pretty easy for a homeowner to work on his own house. You do have to get permits, and it has to be inspected along a schedule, but after that you can do pretty much whatever you want, including your own electrical. Again, it all has to be to code and inspected but other than that they seem willing to help and provide guidance. The local PoCo even has drawings and specs on upgrading your service, then all they do is disconnect and reconnect to the new panel.

In my case it will be pretty easy as I'm not doing any plumbing in the new shop, just the electric. HVAC will be the big window unit that's in the garage now.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Well that is nice at least. The permit process can certainly be a real headache some times. Living where I do, you don't even have to pull permits or get inspections in most cases which certainly has it's benefits. You have to be a lot more careful on who you hire to do things though. But word of mouth gets around real quick so the scoundrel's do not generally last long. With the absolute dearth of quality trades people these days though even the crappy ones seem to stay busy.

BruceK

No worries about permits or inspections where I live.  That means no bureaucratic nonsense.  But it also means the onus is really on the homeowner who does his own work to do it right. 

When installed electricity in my garage recently I learned all I could about doing things the right way (such as following the NEC).

Unlike when I was young, when I work on something these days - electrical, mechanical, or whatever - I always work as though someone will be coming right behind me inspecting and judging me on the quality of my work.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You got your lights on? pics please, and update your thread?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Ah man.. I was hoping to see some pictures of the build... 
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on November 10, 2020, 05:40:25 PM
You got your lights on? pics please, and update your thread?

Sure.   I'll post some tomorrow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara