Minidave's mini Mini shop

Started by MiniDave, February 05, 2020, 12:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Just for fun I found an Amish garage builders site and priced out a 24X32 two story garage, even with Mezzanine it came to $17K, plus $18K for concrete as quoted I'm at $35K....my original budget. That's delivered and built on site, parts and labor.

My first example just to get an idea.....

https://www.amishbackyardstructures.com/product/2-story-double-wide-garage-wood
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Booming economy equals booming prices.  This virus might work in your benefit.  Only on a acreage in TX does a shop add value.  It's like pools here.  Used to be 30-40k now pushing 90k.  Be lucky if it adds 10-20% of cost to home value.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 21, 2020, 11:38:10 AM
Just for fun I found an Amish garage builders site and priced out a 24X32 two story garage, even with Mezzanine it came to $17K, plus $18K for concrete as quoted I'm at $35K....my original budget. That's delivered and built on site, parts and labor.

My first example just to get an idea.....

https://www.amishbackyardstructures.com/product/2-story-double-wide-garage-wood

So much more reasonable.  But do they build in your area? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

My understanding is they build pretty much anywhere.

But one of these won't work for me, mine has to be attached or I run afoul of the setback rules and size restrictions on outbuildings.

My point in posting was 1st to show there are alternatives, and second that has as much material in it as mine would, yet the cost is SO much less, third, this is the kind of thing that would work perfectly for Bruce or John who don't have the size limitations or access restrictions I do.

Bruce, a 2 car 24X32 one story is just over $10K, plus concrete of course. In Bruce's case where they don't get winter all he needs is a slab. Way less than what John and I are dealing with where we need to have foundations down like 40" or so. That's a stick built with wood siding, they also do vinyl siding and metal roofs if preferred.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 21, 2020, 06:05:37 PM

Are you sure?  They are based in Pennsylvania and it would be quite a haul to Kansas.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Bruce, a 2 car 24X32 one story is just over $10K, plus concrete of course. In Bruce's case where they don't get winter all he needs is a slab. Way less than what John and I are dealing with where we need to have foundations down like 40" or so. That's a stick built with wood siding, they also do vinyl siding and metal roofs if preferred.

That's about in line with what I've found locally here in my initial inquiries.   I still need to have some onsite estimates done.   Lots of trees and rocky soil to work around so that will definitely add to the costs.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on April 21, 2020, 06:56:59 PM

Are you sure?  They are based in Pennsylvania and it would be quite a haul to Kansas.

That's a long haul in a horse and buggy  ;D

tsumini

Quote from: 94touring on April 21, 2020, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: BruceK on April 21, 2020, 06:56:59 PM

That's a long haul in a horse and buggy  ;D

The Amish have a shed building shop near where I grew up in Colorado. A large community moved there from the midwest . They built my brother's cabin addition 50 miles west in South Fork. They hire a driver to drive them to the site and driver works with them. Very common practice where there is long distances to job site.  They do good work.

gr8kornholio

They did a show on that. It was after Vanilla Ice had a show working with the Amish.  DIY network.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jedduh01

to the comment of  garages not adding value.  I agree. and that 'extra' garage only adds value to those that are NEEDING garage space.

Co worker bought a property in 2016 - he was full gearhead ,  had space on property and built a 3 Bay = double deep metal building = All concrete + Driveway extension.. whole nine... he' buys the best of everything .. has added 2 or 3 lifts... Countless things...

Come Mid 2019 - his employment is moving to Kentucky.... Lock stock- stay employed , you need to move.

He has tried to stay or make other adjustments but the property went on the market in December-=   Still on market  -  Has made no prices changes and i heard thru the grapevine = No interest... -   Asking price = 695K $...

By all means he thinks because he paid and put it all in... he should get it all back... Im distantly watching this happen.

if interested =here's the sale link... Take a view at the 'STUFF"

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6244-Mountain-Vine-Ave_Kannapolis_NC_28081_M62495-95384?view=qv

BruceK

Just like adding a massive greenhouse, or a 10-stall horse stable, the big garage he added is only attractive to some buyers.  But any of us here on this site would die for a place like that! 

In some ways, it's like customizing a car.  It appeals greatly to the owner, but depending on the degree of customization, it may not appeal much to others.

I'll add this to support my point:

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

That's one hell of a garage  77.gif. But to echo others, it adds value like a pool adds value to resale. Ashame he's forced to move.  I suppose one of the perks I have with a shop on a separate piece of property is I can buy and sell my primary house and the shop stays put.

gr8kornholio

Location says he need to find a nascar driver to buy it.  Big problem is it's a family sized bachelor pad. No woman is going to agree to that price with those bathrooms.  Kitchen is big but just ok.  He spent all the money on the wrong STUFF for resale value.

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 22, 2020, 12:51:28 PM
Location says he need to find a nascar driver to buy it.  Big problem is it's a family sized bachelor pad. No woman is going to agree to that price with those bathrooms.  Kitchen is big but just ok.  He spent all the money on the wrong STUFF for resale value.

I've spent some time in Kannapolis when I lived in NC.  Buddy with an rx7 has family there and Rotorsports racing is up there.  Spent the night on the guys couch a few times while our rx7s were being worked on.   

Went back and looked at the house and yeah it is a family sized bachelor pad. 

MiniDave

I think he has more than $700K tied up in the shop!

I don't see what you all are saying about it being a bachelor pad - I mean sure, it would be great for a single guy but I didn't see anything a woman wouldn't want too.....

But that shop....Whooo doggies!

I agree with Mark, he needs to find a single young Nascar driver to own it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I think because there's been more money put into the assortment of garages but nothing of interest in the living quarters. It looks to still have formica counters from my phone screen.  I'd love to have a place like that though! 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Hyacinth and I both like formica -
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Over here if you don't have granite countertops you're nothing...... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I went with chopping block and stainless steel counters in the kitchen and the bathrooms have a granite. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The other thing hurting it was it sold for 300k less 4 years ago.  I don't see 300k in interior upgrades.  Probably how much that beautiful shop cost though!  Update bathroom tile, ditch the upstairs carpet, update the oak cabinets, update backsplash tiles, brass shower frame is 90s looking...these are all things that stick out to me.  Needs pulled into 2020.  Jen and I look at a lot of houses.  She's probably obsessed and I spend a lot of time looking at places we are in no position to buy. 

94touring

Out of curiosity I sent the link to Jen to get her opinion without her knowing about the discussion here.  Her response:

The kitchen needs renovated and the bathroom countertops and remodel seems cheap. I think the fixtures and remodels are old.  I doubt those things are that important to the buyer tho since it's about cars.

John Gervais

I've often wondered if I'd ever want a 'nicer' hovel...  We've got relatively nice stuff - furnishings, classic architect-designed furniture, appliances - but love the ease of easy-care surfaces.  The hallway and kitchen floor are also good, old-fashioned rolled-out, glued-down grey linoleum.  4.gif

If we were to ever move from this 600 sq. ft. apartment, I guess I'd leave the granite countertops if the dwelling came with them.  I wonder if formica skins could be glued to them?

Seriously though - from my perspective, when looking at this house, I find it practically absurd.  It's far too pretentious and quite arrogant in its proportions.  In short, a massive waste of space - in my opinion.  Also, not enough land around the house - it's too big for the lot.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Lol.  Actually John you can do some of these things on the cheap.  My stainless counters are just raw stainless I bought, had cut to size, lip bent in a brake, and glued right on top of the existing counters.  The chopping block I got in a 6 foot section from the hardware store for 300 bucks or something, stained it, cut out a hole for the sink, tore out the old top and set it in place, screwed down and done.  For even easier floor cleanup we just have the concrete pad, all raw and industrial looking.  Upstairs is wood flooring.  Jen for whatever reason feels the need for a big house.  I was perfectly happy in my 700sq ft condo upstairs that Skylar now lives in and I'm perfectly content with the 1400sq feet we currently live in.