Minidave's mini Mini shop

Started by MiniDave, February 05, 2020, 12:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scargo

What room (or rooms) do the two existing windows serve?

MiniDave

Two upstairs bedrooms, those back bedrooms and the front master are all above the current garage.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

That's exactly what I was thinking they were.

Since they are in second floor bedrooms; unless there are other operable windows in those two rooms, you will not be able to (and should not) change them into clerestory or awning style windows. You need at least one full size operable window of certain clear opening dimensions in any bedroom to provide a secondary means of egress in the case of fire.

Given that, and if you feel the need to increase the roof height of the shop, you might want to consider relocating each of those two windows to the outside corners ... OR ... around the corner onto the adjacent walls, depending of course on what else is going on in those two rooms.

MiniDave

The missus having fun with paint....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Is that a vending machine out back?

MiniDave

The middle one represents a door, the end one is supposed to be the little shed I'll build for the compressor and genset.

I thought the greenery, little bird on the roof and the UFO were interesting touches..... 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on February 28, 2020, 08:26:08 PM
I'm looking into doing at least a 1" of closed cell foam, then bats on top of that. I don't need it super tight, just enough to keep the wind out!  77.gif
I did half my last shop with spray in foam. It was great. The only thing i didn't like about it was that the outside steel panels tended to get green with algae after a few years (5ish). Half the ceiling was spray foam and the steel roof panels tended to accumulate condensate (or sweated) early morning and would run off whereas the non insulated half would stay dry. Never had a problem with it doing that though. Haven't looked at your plans so if it's not a metal building or metal roof then it shouldn't have these quirks.

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on March 03, 2020, 12:32:16 PM
The middle one represents a door, the end one is supposed to be the little shed I'll build for the compressor and genset.

I thought the greenery, little bird on the roof and the UFO were interesting touches..... 77.gif
The UFO could be a spini for a space mini.

MiniDave

Mine will be standard stick construction with a standard shingled roof.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on March 05, 2020, 07:39:25 AM
Mine will be standard stick construction with a standard shingled roof.
[/quote
Yeah saw that later. FWIW for anmyone looking at steel building in humid places. Also epoxied floors also sweat. unless dehumidfied.

MiniDave

I imagine a sweaty epoxy floor would be slick!  ::)

My plan is nicely burnished and sealed concrete, no epoxy or tile or anything. And no Racedeck! I hate that stuff - it might look cool with the different patterns and such that you can do but I hate the creaking when you walk or drive on it, and if you spill anything it does work it's way down to the concrete. I'd rather have just smooth sealed concrete.....I find it's easier to find that odd nut or small part that you drop on concrete too. It does have to be sealed tho, or the dust will drive you crazy.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Won't a sealer sweat also? My attached gargae doesn't sweat. I guess the house keeps the humidity down. Th detached garage floor sweats like a pig.

MiniDave

My guess is they didn't put a vapor barrier under the concrete.......I'm doing 2" of insulation under the floor too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Yeah no  vapor barrier, in fact  saw some water come up thru a crack after a heavy ran. With insulation in the floor in floor heating would be good next step.

MiniDave

An alternative idea....Rose is against this one as it means the view from the upstairs windows would be nothing but roof. But that means the one window wouldn't have to be moved too, and the interior height can be anything we want it to be.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, this is not going to happen, bids are coming in at a ridiculous $100 a sq ft.....or about $70K.....for what is basically an empty shell - no heat or A/C, no plumbing. It's absurd.

Can't just build a separate garage back there like Bruce is planning as there is no access and I'd run afoul of setback regs.

So, back to the drawing boards.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 14, 2020, 04:31:13 PM
Well, this is not going to happen, bids are coming in at a ridiculous $100 a sq ft.....or about $70K.....for what is basically an empty shell - no heat or A/C, no plumbing. It's absurd.

Can't just build a separate garage back there like Bruce is planning as there is no access and I'd run afoul of setback regs.

Sorry to hear that.  My own backyard garage/shop project is on hold indefinitely until I feel a lot more comfortable about the economy.  I am fortunate to have some cash reserves that I had earmarked for the project, but I'd really like to move cautiously in case that money is needed for something else.  Like a wide moat with alligators for example. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Moat alligators are expensive right now.

MiniDave

Probably cost more than a shop!  :-)

Not to mention, a moat can keep YOU in as well as others out. Might not be a good thing, I prefer to be mobil.....or mobile, not sure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on April 14, 2020, 05:04:11 PM
Moat alligators are expensive right now.

I heard they cost an arm and a leg.  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on April 14, 2020, 04:52:18 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on April 14, 2020, 04:31:13 PM

Sorry to hear that.  My own backyard garage/shop project is on hold indefinitely until I feel a lot more comfortable about the economy.  I am fortunate to have some cash reserves that I had earmarked for the project, but I'd really like to move cautiously in case that money is needed for something else.  Like a wide moat with alligators for example.

According to what Jim is experiencing in Fla, things are about to get slow - around here you can barely get anyone to come bid a "small" job like this. I had it suggested to me ( won't work in my case) that I look for some Amish builders, apparently they have crews roaming the US putting up small buildings like this for very reasonable prices. For a free standing garage/shop like you want to build they might be the perfect way to go. and if things are about to get slow you might be able to get it done quickly and affordably.

I wouldn't wait, what's going to change in your financial situation now that you're retired? Might as well be using it, just like your pick up truck!

If I were building in your area I would definitely plan on A/C if not heat - so enough electrical capability and insulation - this is the perfect scenario for a "pole barn" type building... where you don't need to pour a foundation.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

You make some good points Dave.  I'll have to mull over this for a while.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I haven't given mine up completely, I spoke to a neighbor of mine and he and I discussed a bunch of different ways to do this project, we'll see if any of them produce any significant savings.

He's going to work up some numbers for me in a few days.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Styers got the bid on his new garage/shop today.....originally guestimated to run $50-55K, bid came in at $93K.

He has none of the access issues I have and his shop was a little bigger, but it only had one garage door. It did have an upstairs mezzanine over part of it, but still...........that number seems excessive to me. And I wonder what a $100K shop does for property taxes? 

The reason I ask is that in a discussion on the Garage Journal it seems a nice shop adds little to resale value and in many cases takes value and sellability away.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad