Good movie

Started by Willie_B, January 18, 2020, 04:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

She got to pick the movie to go see this rainy day. We saw It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Not at all what either one of us expected, we both really liked it. Worthwhile movie to see.

Jims5543

We saw 1917 last weekend, I was blown away by the cinematography, I had never seen a movie filmed like that before.  It was really well done. I highly suggest seeing it on the big screen.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

Quote from: Jims5543 on January 22, 2020, 03:00:35 PM
We saw 1917 last weekend, I was blown away by the cinematography, I had never seen a movie filmed like that before.  It was really well done. I highly suggest seeing it on the big screen.

Agreed!

I saw 1917 this past weekend and I am still thinking about it and discussing it with my wife.   In these days of stupid and crappy 'superhero' comic book movies, it was great to experience a real movie that tells a clear and compelling story - and one based in history too.  The fact it was told in an innovative manner was even greater.  I'm a big fan of long tracking shots being used in movies such as the crowded Dunkirk beach scene in Atonement and the back-way-into-the-night-club scene in Goodfellas, but to sustain one long tracking shot for the entire movie really puts the audience right alongside the soldiers during their journey in this movie. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

a few months ago I took an afternoon off of work to take both my sons to see "They shall not be forgotten"  I think it is available to rent or is streaming now.

I cannot stress how impactful this movie is. Movie is not even a proper term, Documentary is a better one. It is actual footage, then all the commentary is sourced from BBC interviews with WW1 veterans. IIRC 400 hours of interviews were poured over in order to gather enough commentary to fit the actually 9mm footage that they restored and colorized perfectly.

Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame is a WW1 geek and this film was a pet project of his. They even fired and recorded Peters vintage WW1 artillery that he has collected over the years as welll as use uniforms he has collected to aid in the colorizing process. There is a 30 minute "how they made it" documentary after the film that is every bit as interesting.

If anyone here has not seen this film, see it, it is a remarkable repiecing of history that really hits you hard. A fantastically well done documentary.

I look forward to 1917 coming out on video so I can watch again at home.

Bruce, like you, it is one of those films that really stay with you.

I love they are revisiting these WW1 subjects.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson