Headliners

Started by MtyMous, January 01, 2020, 08:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

I really want a suede headliner, but it looks like I'm gonna have to make it myself. Anyone have any experience making a headliner from scratch for a Mk IV? Or know of a company willing to make them in different materials without charging a small fortune?

I'd love to take a template to someone local to have it made but can't come up with a template anywhere.

jeff10049

How much is a cheap new one that would make a great template even if a couple hundred it would save more than that in time.  My guess is all in at about 1,500 at most shops for a suede headliner.  If you are good at sewing and had a new one as a template to cut suede from you could do it. Install might be tricky I don't think you'll heat shrink out any wrinkles.  But it would look really nice I like the idea as long as it can be installed looking nice.

94touring

May be easier to install a regular headliner then adhesive spray on suede.  Not sure but that's an idea. 

MtyMous

thats the thing. I've never installed a headliner so I'm going in blind on this one. But I know I want suede or jet black

CooperTune

I'm about to install my third maybe fourth late headliner. The first two were done by JIm who had done work for a local shop that restores cars for Leno. The first was custom for a sedan with a steel sun roof. The second one I ordered a kit from Newton an as soon Jim took some measurements he put it aside and sewed up his own. He felt the sewn in tubes were not spaced correctly. Sorry to report Jim passed away 19 days after finding brain cancer. I decided it was time to give it a try myself. I ordered a Newton kit from MSC. During the warmest summer I can recall I installed the kit and stretched the liner each day a little tighter using the blue steel paper clips. I chickened out when it came to gluing the edges. A come to you shop guy did that part and charged $300. That was the price going in and after I had to tell him he had not done it correctly he walked out of my shop and smoked a couple of cigs. came back in and redid the area of concern.  I'm about to install another Newton kit. I may do it all myself. One thing I can tell you is order a set of rods complete. The plastic ends become brittle over time and snap just as you get the liner stretched to shape. I assume you do not have the old liner to use as a  guide.
The problem is now the head liners in many cars is glued directly to a shaped board. I'm about the have the head liner and carpet replaced in my 03 Dakota pickup. No amount of cleaning and air freshener will remove the smoke smell. The seats will be done at the same time as they are fabric as well. I knew the PO was a smoker and having quit 20 years ago I don't care for the smell.

Once I remove the current head liner from this mini if the owner does not mind I could send the material to you. Steve (CTR)

94touring

Headliners aren't for the faint of heart.  If it's your first time it can be a day event and frustrating.  There are some tricks to it, skill, and patience involved.  I've done so many late models at this point it's no longer intimidating.  I drove 4 hours to Dave's, did the headliner and all glass on Stan's mini, and drove home in time for dinner.  Had to heat the rubber in warm water too cause it was a cold day!  I went with black on my mini to go with the theme, which may be the easiest option for you too if jet black is a consideration. 

MiniDave

Where did you get your black headliner, Dan?

I expect an auto upholstery shop could make one but I'll bet it will be more than $500 installed.

I helped Dan with the one in Stan's car (which turned out great BTW) and it CAN be frustrating, but like Steve says you need a fistfull of those steel clips to hold it while you stretch and glue it into place - that and the GOOD 3M contact glue, not the cheap stuff.

As much work as it is, I can't help wondering about them doing it on the assembly line, where they did hundreds of them every day......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Minispares sells black ones.  Or maybe it was minisport.  Either way you can get them in white, cream, and black. 

CooperTune

I believe MSC offers a mildly gray as well. Steve (CTR)

MtyMous

I think I'll order the black headliner. I've been on the fence about just going black from Minisport or making a custom one. Next question is what clips are you guys talking about and what glue should I use? Anyone wanna give me some tricks (Use clamps or "watch this area" kinda thing)? I might make a youtube video out of it if it goes well so others can watch my misery or do it themselves if it goes well. haha

94touring

Quote from: MtyMous on April 07, 2020, 11:54:10 PM
I think I'll order the black headliner. I've been on the fence about just going black from Minisport or making a custom one. Next question is what clips are you guys talking about and what glue should I use? Anyone wanna give me some tricks (Use clamps or "watch this area" kinda thing)? I might make a youtube video out of it if it goes well so others can watch my misery or do it themselves if it goes well. haha

Medium to large binder clips and 3m spray adhesive 90.  Not the 77, you want 90.  You'll use the binder clips to have the headliner in place before using the adhesive.  You'll pull and adjust accordingly until it's tight and wrinkle free.  It takes time and patience.  Then you'll work sections at a time, 1 or 2 feet, by spraying the adhesive on the headliner and the metal lip it folds over.  You wait a minute or two per the instructions on the adhesive before mating the two surfaces.  Pull tight, apply pressure to mate, re clip, and move another foot or two until you're done. When finished cut the excess headliner with a razor blade and put the frame rubber in place even if you don't intend to put the glass in right away.

MiniDave

Dan should make a video how to!   62.gif

There may be some on YouTube already, worth a look.....

Edit: Just looked on the Tube, tons of Mini how to vids on the headliner - I looked under "Classic Mini Headliner Install"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

I just installed a headliner for guy last weekend.  Being a take all glass out job + clean  Replace re install i charged him 300$ and it took ALL afternoon..

Binder clips do work well but i also have been using double sided stickytape... around the window frame edges.  its enough to pull hold and let you work on it some streching it out while being able to re postion it. !

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shurtape-1-88-in-x-12-Yard-S-Blue-Heavy-Duty-Duct-Tape/3014450

Spray glue = 3M - High Strength contact adhesive spray

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-17-6-fl-oz-Bonding-Clear-Multipurpose-Adhesive/1160531?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-google-_-lia-_--_-glue-_-1160531-_-0&store_code=2981&placeholder=null&gclid=CjwKCAjw7LX0BRBiEiwA__gNw7a9CciH6_CBDt3UR6doU-7tfeuJfrWcSP1lYKh5IM7U3ydPlWWKfBoCQxIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have replaced 2 over my time, Second def went better than the first.

After getting it Up in place  ( using the metal bows ( make sure all your bows are in good condition, no broken tips etc.)
  do the first pulls = not hard. to get it stretched.  I like to then let it sit hours. even overnight.
  From there i started working and pulling ( started rear quarter windows)  then front door openings, then the front and rear.. glass openings.   The worst areas to avoid puckers are the very corners both front and rear.

Be sure you're ready to install glass at this point too  ( including the C pillar trim that comes with the headliners) because the window gaskets are what really hold it all locked in place.  Glue does the big part but the wrapped around the  window edges does the locking in place. Dont forget your dome light wiring on the side= its a bugger to fishout once headliner is up in place.

John Gervais

Quote from: 94touring on April 08, 2020, 02:00:13 AM
Quote from: MtyMous on April 07, 2020, 11:54:10 PM

Medium to large binder clips and 3m spray adhesive 90.  Not the 77, you want 90.  You'll use the binder clips to have the headliner in place before using the adhesive.  You'll pull and adjust accordingly until it's tight and wrinkle free.  It takes time and patience.  Then you'll work sections at a time, 1 or 2 feet, by spraying the adhesive on the headliner and the metal lip it folds over.  You wait a minute or two per the instructions on the adhesive before mating the two surfaces.  Pull tight, apply pressure to mate, re clip, and move another foot or two until you're done. When finished cut the excess headliner with a razor blade and put the frame rubber in place even if you don't intend to put the glass in right away.

In lieu of a whole bucket o'binder clips, I bought an extra rubber door seal and cut it into 3 or 4 inch lengths.  As the door seal pieces are flexible, it makes it super easy to 'clamp' around corners.  Also, when installing the headliner at the 'A' and 'B' pillars, I find that folding the headliner upwards/inwards against itself makes for a tidy edge.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I like the idea of the trim seal to hold the edges in.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad