Started by MiniDave, December 17, 2019, 02:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A minuscule range of only 110 miles is kind of ridiculous considering the range of most mass-market EV's now are in the upper hundreds to mid-200s.  For example the Chevrolet Bolt's range is 240 miles.

I read somewhere recently that MINI was going to introduce an electric model that was much smaller than the current not-mini-at-all range - something that is drastically needed in my opinion.   This is obviously not that model. 

Edit:   Found the article https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/09/27/mini-hardtop-next-generation-electric-smaller/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

My order was in by my dealer as soon as it could be done. Why is everyone complaining about the range? Do they want a heavier car? Very adequate range for most commuting needs my commute is about as bad as it gets and it'll do fine. Not that more range would be bad but with current battery tech, it comes at a weight/space cost.

I hope by smaller they mean first-gen BINI size not classic mini size.

jeff10049

Even though my order was in early I was still behind a number of people I got a call in the order I was to pick a car only 6 were left in the first shipment to choose from picked a silver-white with black roof signature plus. We should have it around March.  The dealer said the number of reservations they have after this shipment will take at least the rest of the year to fill.
I was concerned about getting home with the range it has looked up charging stations on the way at least three times as many as gas stations so no problem.

MiniDave

Congrats on the new ride!   77.gif

So, it won't be perilous, just slow getting home?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on December 29, 2019, 09:43:13 PM
Congrats on the new ride!   77.gif

So, it won't be perilous, just slow getting home?  ;D

Thanks Dave

Most the chargers are dc fast so it won't be too bad stop for lunch in mill city or Detroit and then on to Sisters or Bend to take on some charge then home to La pine.  In a perfect world, one stop would do it but it'll probably be cold heat on and less range we will see. Lots of regen coming down into sisters not sure how much that does I'll be learning a lot soon.

jeff10049

got a call last week the car was in. At first I was going to pass due to business slowdown because of the corona.
But the interest rate they offered along with other incentives and the fact that I still really want the car...I did it.

All I can say is its an amazing car the handling is superb. power is good lots o torque I love it. It's just a damn nice car all around.

ADRay

very cool! I'd like one but the range they have is a limiting factor for myself.

The thing that I really like about how MINI went about making an electric model it that they adapted the running gear to the existing chassis, and they build the gas and electric model on the same assembly line. I never liked the unique designs manufacturers have come up with hybrid or electric cars.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

G67mcs

Congrats on the electric MINI purchase. A local Mini club friend's son works at MOK and drove the electric MINI couple weeks ago. He was impressed with it, but I didn't get a response when asking if he's trading his JCW Clubman for it.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on March 29, 2020, 08:54:48 AM
Tell  us about the trip home?
To limit my exposure to a potentially deadly virus and not knowing if the fast charger was active at the now-closed restaurant I planned on charging at. I took a trailer my own lunch, gloves, sanitizer. And just hauled the car home.
The range seems more than advertised so far I'll know a lot more by friday.

jedduh01

Awesome Get!   I have a friend with an i3 =  he commutes daily with it , plugs up at work ( not at home)
   It's quality / Quiet / Efficient/   and works great. I'm sure this will  be just the same.

MiniDave

That was probably the best move, look forward to hearing how the range works out, are you going to set up a charger at work?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: jedduh01 on March 30, 2020, 06:56:15 AM
Awesome Get!   I have a friend with an i3 =  he commutes daily with it , plugs up at work ( not at home)
   It's quality / Quiet / Efficient/   and works great. I'm sure this will  be just the same.

Charge at work, now that's a great idea.  Company incentives to go green.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

We are closing in on 70K miles on the i3 besides tires, a known weak point with this car and any BMW for that matter, it has been maintenance free.

How is the regenerative braking?  Is it heavy like the i3? As in you lift off the accelerator and it is like hitting the brakes?

I have to go look up specs on the Mini, I likey!!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

Dave, I ordered a level 2 charger on amazon for the shop.

Jim, Yes its heavy has a switch on the dash makes it less. It would be good on the ice I assume. But I like the full regen one-pedal driving.

Most of the time I never touch the brakes. You have to gently lift off the accel. Some people dont like it but it only took me a few minutes to get used to it.

Downloaded the mini connected app on my phone I got 5 stars for anticipation thats the regen. Everything else was 0 LOL I drive it F the eco+ modes.

Jims5543

I have to wonder if you have an i3 drive train.  I cannot adjust my regenerative braking, it does have TC and is supposed to detect slipping on decel and step in. I have no ice here.... ever...

Rain is the closest we have and it is rock solid in torrential downpours.

When my wife drives ours it gets fantastic range and good efficiency ratings. When I drive it... LOL!! If the family is in the car I typically get yelled at for launching off from Red lights.

Yes, use the regen heavy, I get mad if I misjudged and had to use my brakes. I expect our brakes will last well over 100 K miles as we never use them at all.

The stage 2 charger is a game changer, you can charge up in a couple of hours. Smart move getting one, the trickle takes several hours.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

Charger should be here Thursday  The level one is barley keeping up I have to take it with me and charge all day then bring it home and charge all night.
I haven't been able to get it to 100% since I got it.
Loosing about 5% per day that the level 1 can't make up for in a night+day got home at 20% today.

If the charger comes Thursday I'll be good to go if not I'll leave it at the shop Thursday night and take the truck home so it can catch up. It won't make it all week on level one not enough hours per day to make up for use.

Its about 20 hours on level one max setting to charge from 30% to full level 2 is 4-5 hours on max. If you stop at a dc fast station its like 30 minutes.

I think it shares a lot with the i3 at least thats everything I have read. 

MiniDave

I thought you only had like a 30 mile commute each way?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Jeff, I did a quick search, you have the i3s motor which has about 10 more HP and TQ than my i3.

You have the same curb weight as well.  That means you probably have the same 0-40 MPH time, which is a hoot in my i3.

And yes, the Level 2 charge will change everything. We have one on the wall in the garage at home, I know it says 4 hours to full, but you have to be at 10% or lower to need that much time.

Typically we plug in at 30% and it takes about 2.5 hours to top off IIRC.  One we got the Level 2 Charger we never gave charging time much thought.

With the Range Extender (REX) in ours and my Euro Hack we can switch on the genny and keep the battery over 50%, wife has to do that 2X a week due to the amount of driving exceeding the 85 mile range we have, so we use about 2 gallons of gas a week.

Right ow with the kid home from school and every shut down, I think we last charged it on Thursday last week.

Enjoy!! I imagine it handles 100X better than the i3 it looks 1000X better that is for sure. The i3 is Fugly.

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on March 31, 2020, 10:48:05 PM
I thought you only had like a 30 mile commute each way?

I do 30 miles one way and some running around in the day was putting me at about 80 miles a day.
The problem is level 1 can only charge at about 3 miles per hour. so I'd need over 20 hours of charge per day to stay even and I was not able to plug in more than maybe 20 hours per day.

The level 2 did change everything  got it at noon yesterday and plugged the car in it was at 28% and by 4:00 it was full.

I drove home had 70% left did not plug in and set the car to pre condition the inside at 6:00 am using the battery. went out to a nice warm car it had only used 2% of the battery to precondition and it was cold out 17 this morning.

Drove in with about 30% remaining and plugged into level 2 and was 100% by 2:30.
It's going to do exactly what I wanted out of it.

I can also get a 7.4kw level 2 and really get with it the one I just got is a 3.2kw system.
I did not realize that I could get 7.4kw at the time or I would have I'm learning as I go.
But The 3.2 does what I need I will eventually get a 7.4 as well.

0-40 or 60 or 90 mph is a hoot for sure.

Jims5543

I was wondering why your Level 2 charger was so slow. I assumed it was due to increased battery range, you have more batteries than I do.

I just looked it up, I have a 7.4 kw charger.

jeff10049

I'll be curious to see what a 7.4 can do. The 3.2 is good for now 4 times faster than level 1.

I figure it can't hurt having a couple of chargers around so I don't regret buying the 3.2 I may install it as a home charger and put a 7.4 at the shop.

The level one can stay in the car for emergency use.

670 miles since last Saturday.

MiniDave

So Jeff, coming up on a year now since you got your Electric MINI, what do you think so far? Is it a keeper?

How did the A/C do in the summer time? Does cold weather really kill the range? Ddi you get the high powered charger installed?

Did you take any trips with it this summer?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad