A panel /Door alignment

Started by knowell, December 06, 2019, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowell

Would appreciate some help, what would be the best way to realign the door to the a-panel. It seems that the previous owner may have gotten hit on the driver side door. Running a magnet on the middle of the door shows some bondo work. Not sure what would be the best way to get things lined up again.

94touring

Not much you can do with that one, unless you redo metal work itself.  Shims will adjust the gaps to a point. Had this issue on the 66 where it was involved in a wreck 30+ years ago.  I straightened a door that was bent, painted everything not thinking much of it, stuck it on the car only to find a really bad gap.  I ended up redoing the door frame and A panel and repainting that section.  The gaps on my 74 are so so at best too, as it had metal work done at some point in it's life. 

knowell

so best to just replace the a panel and door??

94touring

Its hard to tell from your photos.  Do you have a whole side view showing the entire door gaps?  Were the front wings ever replaced along with a panels and potentially the front end panel?  Look for factory welds to determine.  It's not normal for that one spot to have a decent gap that tapers out badly toward the top where the window frame begins.  Can't tell if thats bad A panel work or something weird with a door reskin...or both.

knowell

Quote from: 94touring on December 06, 2019, 12:50:42 PM
Its hard to tell from your photos.  Do you have a whole side view showing the entire door gaps?  Were the front wings ever replaced along with a panels and potentially the front end panel?  Look for factory welds to determine.  It's not normal for that one spot to have a decent gap that tapers out badly toward the top where the window frame begins.  Can't tell if thats bad A panel work or something weird with a door reskin...or both.

I'll take some better reference photos this weekend. thank you for taking a look at it. I rotated the photos prior to posting but they still came out like that.

94touring

I use a phone app called "reduce photo size" that will orientate photos right side up before posting. 

joakwin

its hard to tell from the photo of the gaps

a overall side pic will help to show what needs to be done

what does the gap look like on the bottom sides?
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell