Any recommendation in the DFW area willing to do welding and bod work?

Started by minifrisco, September 22, 2019, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minifrisco

Looking for a shop recommendation in the DFW area capable of doing some welding and body prep on my 60 Mini MKI?.

BruceK

Sorry, I don't know of anyone.  Dan is the only guy I'd trust to work on a Mini body.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Same here.....too many folks out there that don't understand the intricacies of the mini body shell and how it rusts....and how to fix it right.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

minifrisco

That is my dilemma, finding someone that understand the Mini body issues around the DFW area.

MiniDave

I know he's booked up well into next year, but Dan's your man......just bring him the bare shell and 6 months or a year later he'll send home a new shiny one!   ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Well worth the wait. I'm getting really excited as he has my paint now.

Problem with DFW area is all the money is in insurance repair or full blown over the top custom work. So your choice is 10k for crap work by a clueless person or 20k just for the paint plus $200 an hour for metal work and prep.

I'm having the same issue for my 73 vw.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

minifrisco

Question is when can Dan take another mini? I have no problem waiting, it just may be a long drive from North Dallas TX

94touring

Honestly I'm not sure.  I'm trying to get completely out of it since I basically never have a day off.  Years ago I'd work around the clock but now I'm older and married. I do have a shell I pick up tomorrow for a guy with the intent of starting on it around spring.  Its a car I'm familiar with and is an "easy" job that won't take a year or two to finish.  I have to knock out Mark's mini and finish this 66 full build that never ends. 

minifrisco

How about having mine as the last one you work on 4.gif. Should be an easy one too.

MiniDave

Not to mention you still have three cars of your own to finish! Poor Rusty......and poor pick up! Both neglected for other peoples cars.

Oh, and you still owe me a paint job too........so that's four. Plus the green car you just agreed to do, and Marks car, and the never ending 66......and........sheesh!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: 94touring on October 03, 2019, 08:25:23 AM
It never ends  9.gif

That's the problem when you're good I'm trying to get out of restorations at my business but can't seem to say no now were years out again plus all the normal work. What use to be fun now just adds to my stress level.

94touring

Body prep and paint jobs by themselves aren't so bad.  I enjoy doing metal work.  Sanding is less fun but the end result is always very rewarding. But a full top to bottom build is for the birds, unless it's my own.  I wish every car was like the inno, where I bring it in, spend 2 days cleaning grime and looking for flaws, a day of masking, then light sanding, spray, buff, done.  Took me a week or so minus the doors that had some issues.  I need Dave closer to do the build portion and I'll knock out the paint.  Of course it's only a 4 hours drive with my trailer to drop a car at his doorstep too. 

gr8kornholio

Yea I'm starting to see why the classic/British car guy I found out in the sticks here only does full restorations.  No side jobs no tune ups no paint touch ups just a few cars at a time for full restores. He has a big shop area too and a couple helpers.

94touring

Just reminiscing about when Dean Wilhite brought his mini to town and spent a week with me.  We did a bunch of metal work, whole front end, several repairs and patches, painted, reassembled, and in a 7 day stretch.  We were up early and worked late.  He got home and texted that he weighed himself and lost 16lbs. 

I really need a staff to do full builds and I'd have to charge double at least.  I'm pretty affordable the way I do it now. 

jeff10049

I wish I were closer to ya'll I could get into too doing half or part of it the mechanical or body or even just the electrics.
I'm with you Dan completes suck hind tit it's so much more enjoyable when it's not overwhelming. I actually really like wiring id do the harnesses on every car if I were near you.

MiniDave

Is it in primer or is that the actual color?

Not so overwhelming when you just have the bare shell, no mechanical stuff to do......

What color will this one be when done?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

He had it media blasted and sealer primed, which is the perfect way to receive a shell.  Color will be original speedwell blue.  It's a very light blue.  White roof.  Needs a new boot floor and boot lid.  Some minor patch work and new door skin.  A fair amount of work but reasonable. 

minifrisco

Here it is!....I know that car 4.gif

Here is the original color...

94touring

Found the early 60s austin code to be 12155 for speedwell in ditzler. 

And an example