So, it’s the big 6-0 for that friend of ours

Started by BruceK, August 25, 2019, 11:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Sixty years ago, August 26, 1959 was the day the Mini (as the Austin Seven and Morris Mini-Minor) was introduced to the world.   Massive press event and PR announcements world wide from BMC.   Hence that date is used as the official "birthday" of the Mini.

My Mini is currently in a friend's barn while I arrange a household move, so I won't get to see my car tomorrow.  But what are you guys going to do with your Minis on the 60th birthday?  It would be a great day to take one for a drive! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Looking for a high of 79f Monday so I do see a drive somewhere in it.

MPlayle

Brad,

Your expected high (79*F) is about our overnight low right now.

I may finally finish the trim on the A-pillars and install a glove box liner I made.  I still need to check the timing and get a UniSyn tool to check the carb tuning.

MiniDave

We did the KC MINI club Mini 60 Birthday bash today, the event started about 35 miles north of me and I was headed up there in the classic in a proper English rainstorm, when I passed a truck on the highway my left windshield wiper blew off, leaving me blinded by the truck's spray. I'm glad I was in the right lane as there was an exit right there....I parked on the shoulder and reinstalled the wiper blade but it didn't seem t click into place so rather than take a chance on it blowing off at a really bad place, I took side streets home and swapped into the MINI Clubman S.

This made me late to the event which started with a drive, and I drove up to the checkpoint just as they were leaving....Someone did hand me the route instructions, but as I was alone, it was pissing down and I was in heavy traffic in a unfamiliar part of town, I quickly lost the group, even tho it was 40 some cars strong, and included 3 classics.

I knew where the first meetup point was and even tho I was WAY off course, I met the group there and the rest of the run I managed to stay in the herd till we arrived at the meet up spot in the park. There we sang happy birthday to the Mini and had birthday cake, but I had to leave early to attend a celebration of life for a friend who passed away recently.

Good thing I had the modern MINI as the rain was really coming down most of the drive, and got even worse on the way home after the celebration of life event. Wouldn't you know it, as I pulled into my driveway it quit.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I guess I should drive the classic to work tomorrow my car was born in late 59/early 60  so it's almost 60 as well. I don't think of the car as old but as cars go I guess it kind of is. for a mini it's almost as old as they get.