Moke Fuel Tank 4 Sale

Started by Scargo, December 16, 2018, 08:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scargo

I have a spare fuel tank for a UK Moke. I recently treated it with a 3-part Hirsch Automative fuel tank cleaner/etch/sealer kit. The tank does not include the cap but does include a new sending unit and an extra quart of Hirsch sealer. $300 + shipping.

Willie_B

How did you keep the sealer from sealing the intake screen? This is why I have not sealed the inside of mine.

Scargo

Before applying the sealer, I taped over the pick-up screen. Before the sealer set-up, I removed the tape and blew the line out with compressed air from the outside-in. I repeated that a few times during the drying period.

Willie_B

I will see if I can get my hand/arm in there then. Thanks

Scargo

Brad,

To make that easier, you may be able to unbend the semi-circular clip that holds the metal fuel line in place, and carefully bend the line up just enough to achieve more clearance between the bottom of the tank and the screen. Then bend it back and clip it in place after you're done applying the sealer.

jedduh01

Along the same lines, I have completed the same.

Unbend the side tab holding the pickup tube.
   Manually lift the pickup tube with strainer out of the lowest point in the tank.

On my refurbish, I slipped a small plastic bag over the end of the tube, Bit of tape on the top = and it was protected from sealant for the job.
The tank sealant doesn't like to adhere to plastic so when dry it basically all flakes off of the covering bag anyways.

When complete clean up and make sure air passes easily = and can bend back down into place.

Its a 'difficult" arrangement because you can only get one hand inside the tank to do any work,but its doable.