Hydro subframes - how are the ones they sell new these days?

Started by Whee, December 03, 2018, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

I have a pair of hydro subframes taking up a lot of room in the garage. I have a car I eventually want to take back to hydro, but probably won't do that until I retire (20 + years away!), if I ever do it.

They are in pretty decent shape, some surface rust, but have been in dry Colorado all their life as far as I know. Trying to figure out if I should hang onto them because they are irreplaceable, or sell and buy new if I ever actually need a set. They take up a lot of room and are a pain to store.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm keeping the displacers that are in them :)

gr8kornholio

No dark corner of the attic space to stash them? 

I agree they are cumbersome and large to have laying around a shop area.  Do they make new replacement ones for Hydro?  If not they may become harder and harder to find.  Especially if Cooper/S money keep increasing since they run this suspension.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jedduh01

The displacers will be your bigger issue =   the rubber degrades over time = and if you're storing for ANOTHER 15-20 years=  by that time 70 year old bags will be  will be nearly gone.
Sure there is SOME preservation you can do = but you may be saving for a dead horse.

Make sure the bags you have now are flushed out clean + and DRY insdie = they will rot internally if wet + rust inside alreay (likely)

Subframes today ou can buy are still punched with all the holes  and needs for Hydro . Save 1 if you need any for a later Hydro work conversion.