Anyone know this car in OKC?

Started by MPlayle, November 05, 2018, 01:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

This one popped up recently on the Mini Mania classifieds:

https://www.minimania.com/cars4Sale/15283/1978_Mini_1000_Sedan

Anyone know it or know someone nearby that might inspect it?

MiniDave

If it's in OKC I'd ask Dooder to go check it out for you - he certainly knows what to look for, especially after rebuilding his wagon.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Is Dooder still active on the forum?  I seem to recall his proper name was Dean Wilhite? 

I would like to have an idea if he is active before sending a PM via the forum to see if he knows the car or might be willing to check on it for me.

Kind of lining up my ducks before contacting the seller to verify the car is still available.

MiniDave

Are you on Facebook? I always find it easier to reach him that way....if not, I can send him a message to contact you via email. Your call.....or I can give you his phone # and you can just call him if you like.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I think I am going to pass on this one.  Dooder did a fine job of inspecting it for me - got lots of good pictures showing all the areas of concern.  It is going to need rust issues addressed sooner rather than later and even though the price is very reasonable, the repairs needed are likely to be more than I am ready to put into this one.

MiniDave

Isn't it great that you had a knowledgeable man on the scene to check it out for you? Well done, Dean!

The fact that it hasn't sold in 3 weeks says something about the condition too.

Looked pretty decent in all 3 of the pics they posted in the ad.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea, knowledge is power with these cars.  I wish I'd know what I do now before buying mine.  Guess I should have searched a little more for forums like this before buying.  Still think mine will have enough value once it's done to be in line with what I've put into it. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I think you'll be OK, Aussies are rare enough and it's a MKI.....besides, we don't buy them for their resale value, we buy them because they're fun to own and drive - the money is secondary.

To MIchael's point, taking on a rust bucket is just not what I would want to do either....I know Dan lives to bring rusty Minis back from the graveyard but that's not for me. I don't mind redoing the drivetrain, but I did the rust thing with my old Jag - never again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea the driving experience is well worth the investment.  Just trying not to end up like the guy and the BMW M1 that went for 39K yesterday on BaT.  He had that in the performance parts alone, not to mention the cost of the car or installing them.

Watching that 73 Bug on there too since I'm getting ready to start one of those.  It's amazing how quick a budget and get blown way out of proportion.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yes it is, ask me how I know!

No, don't................. 

;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: gr8kornholio on November 30, 2018, 09:07:04 AM
It's amazing how quick a budget and get blown way out of proportion.

I know it, too.  The Moke was getting to that point.  Fortunately, Moke prices for decent ones (at least on BaT) seem to support it.

Regular Minis (Saloons, and not Cooper or Cooper-S ones), not so much.  That is why I'm passing on this one.  It would be either the mechanical upgrades I would like to do, OR the bodywork it needs.  Doing both would blow the budget completely away.

gr8kornholio

Yea, can't do both.  Luckily mine came with some very expensive mechanical upgrades and the metal wasn't in terrible shape.  The one off, expensive to ship, flood pan was a bit of a blow, but still just a fraction of total cost.