What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Chrysler products are notorious for this.....at least you could get to it without having to take the entire dash out like on some cars.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I had a similar issue on my GMC Sierra the AC was not cooling 100%.
Everything on the AC side checked out so I clamped off the heater hoses and drove it home with ice cold ac.
I looked for the blend door but there were four different  actuators, I figured out which one and like your Jeep Michael it was not a fun job.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on November 26, 2021, 12:26:36 PM
Chrysler products are notorious for this.....at least you could get to it without having to take the entire dash out like on some cars.....
I prefer the old days of a cable or a manual 90 degree shut off and a heater tap.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on November 26, 2021, 12:02:47 PM
Had to work on the HVAC system in my Jeep Wrangler today.

On the way home from friends last night after Thanksgiving dinner, all I had was maximum heat.  The fan speed and vent selectors worked fine, but the temperature selector had no effect - just maximum heat.  It turns out the temperature is regulated by a "blend door" and the actuator for that had gone out.  When the car is shut off, the actuators index themselves at particular positions and the blend door actuator indexes at full heat.  It indexed when I got out to the friend's place and then died.

I got to spend an hour contorted under the driver's side dash replacing the actuator.

Much easier when the blend door just says "Car   Screen   Off"!  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

In my case, I had to remove the heater to fix mine!   ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

First attempt at Dave's wheel center cap. Size is pretty decent but the one I printed is a lot less rigid than the original. That might not actually matter and could be a benefit if it snaps in well.

It looks like the original might be a little too rigid, the "ears" are a bit bent in toward the center and I think it might be because of the plastic they are made of not having any "spring back". The ears being under constant pressure eventually take that set which actually weakens their hold on the wheel. Its hard to say for sure without seeing a new unused one.

Either way I modified my initial print to hopefully add some more rigidity and we will see what happens. Then I may just drop what I have in the mail and let Dave pop them into his wheels to see if they will work before I print up a full set.

MiniDave

That looks pretty good, the other one could just be stiff because it's old too. Whenever you're ready I'll pop one in and see how it works.

And thanks for doing this for me!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I was trying to tune the carb and set timing on the woody today. I am using a wideband thru an app on my phone. Had the engine running while my phone was resting on it so I could watch the reading. While I was checking the temp gauge my phone decided to slip down the back of the engine. It got the headers twice before I could knock it completely down and out the bottom. Lesson learned. At least it was just the case that melted.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on December 17, 2021, 06:59:36 PM
The case served it's purpose!

Can you imagine the bunch of nerds who designed that case somehow envisioning an encased cell phone falling onto hot car headers?  It would be outside the realm of their experiences or knowledge.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

joakwin

i wired up a couple 220volt plugs to my garage, and then made a mount off one of the walls to hang a 220volt heater in my garage. the garage was starting to dip into the high 40's/low 50's. With that temp, trying to work in that temp was starting to hurt in my bones

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

Same for me.....I turned the heat on in my garage today - in about an hour it should be warm enough to get some work done.

Does your heater have a good fan behind it? cause I put one in a friend's garage after reading rave reviews and it doesn't do shit. My opinion is it needs way more fan behind it to push the warm air into the shop. As it is now the only place warm is right in front of the heater! I think a hair dryer would blow harder that that fan does....

The heater in my shop is also my A/C unit and that fan blows enough to feel it anywhere in the shop - does the trick whether I want heat or cool.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 22, 2021, 01:42:50 PM
Same for me.....I turned the heat on in my garage today - in about an hour it should be warm enough to get some work done.

Does your heater have a good fan behind it? cause I put one in a friend's garage after reading rave reviews and it doesn't do shit. My opinion is it needs way more fan behind it to push the warm air into the shop. As it is now the only place warm is right in front of the heater! I think a hair dryer would blow harder that that fan does....

The heater in my shop is also my A/C unit and that fan blows enough to feel it anywhere in the shop - does the trick whether I want heat or cool.

Talking about Don's heater?  He has the small version of what I use. Mine smokes me out of the shop with it cranked up past about a quarter.

MiniDave

Yes, does nothing to help the cold in there.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Tell him to buy the 220 version like I have! 

MiniDave

No, it is the 240V version, I ran a new breaker and service for it.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I finally took my Almond Green Mini and washed it good in preparation for a drive Saturday. 

I also swapped to LED bulbs in the tail lights (brake and turn) and wired up a power port under the dash.  Now I can run my GPS for a speedometer and keep it charged (the car's speedometer is in kph).

The hazard lights flash at a normal rate, but the turn signals are a bit fast.  It is not so fast that I can't live with it.  It should help catch the attention of traffic around me when I signal turns and lane changes.

BruceK

Did you install a no-load flasher to deal with the LEDs?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce,

I did not.  Finding the flasher units on this Mini to change it will be quite a chore as it is a Japanese spec with a/c.  That means things around the dash are REALLY crowded.

It has a number of the Japanese specific accessories that don't show up in any of the regular manuals - such as a seat belt warning light and ignition buzzer.

I think I know where it should be, but accessing it is blocked by something I have not seen before.

MPlayle

This is actually what I got done yesterday - took the pictures today.

Made a carpeted boot board for my 1996 Saloon and carpeted the boot lid liner to match.  The first picture shows them both.  The second shows the support board I made for the right side of the boot board.  The left side is supported by the spare.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Willie_B

That turned out really nice. Somerford makes boot board mounts that are taller to fit a 165 tire.

MPlayle

I am using a 145 tire on 4.5" x 10" wheels.

The factory style mounts are meant to be welded in.  I have no welding skills, nor any means to use one in the apartment garages - only a single 110V outlet in the ceiling meant for the door opener.  I use an extension cord plugged into the other side of that outlet to drop power down for the battery tender.