Would you buy back a former car?

Started by MPlayle, September 11, 2018, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

As the title implies: if you had an opportunity to buy back a car you formerly owned, would you?

I have such an opportunity and am considering it.  It has changed hands only once since I sold it 5 years ago (the person selling it now bought it from the person I sold it to).  There have essentially been no significant changes to the car since I owned it.  Below is the link to the current listing of it.

Thoughts and opinions?

Link: http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/yellow1961/

94touring

Would depend on the price, but virtually every car I've ever sold I regret selling.

MPlayle

I can probably get it back for about the same as I sold it for.

This was my first "major" project car - I rebuilt the motor, did all the interior, changed it to front disk brakes, redid all the suspension, redid all the wiring, did the boot trim, and more.  I did not do any body work - the body has flaws and some floor patches from before I got it.  I knew it had those flaws when I got it - I bought it as a "budget run-about" to just drive and tinker on.

BruceK

Yes, I can think of at least 2 Minis I sold that I regret selling, and that I'd buy back.  Is it nostalgia like thinking about old girlfriends? Probably a little bit. But best not to mention that analogy to the wife.   ;D

Michael, if you put that much work in the car and you know it was done right, I can see why you'd want it back with you.  Looks like a nice Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Yea, my facebook reminded me of how much I loved my 07 mini.  But deep down part of me doesn't want it back.  Kind of a been there done that feeling. 

Now a classic, that I'd put time and sweat into would probably be a different story.  Those are fairly unique and would be worth getting back. 

When I was looking for a little truck I tried very hard to find an early S10 like the one I had in high school.  Unfortunately they just didn't' survive and for the most part are all completely trashed.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I would have my Dino back in a heartbeat! Fat chance I could afford it now tho..... :(
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I have a standing offer to buy back my RX7 and keep in touch with the owner.

87 RX7 with 93 13B-REW swapped in, last time on dyno made 480 to the wheels.  Last time on scale weighed in at 2650 lbs.

I regret selling it.  I was not driving it as much anymore and wish I had just stored it until I wanted a scary fast car again, which is now.

I almost pulled the trigger on an FD and another FC like my old one and stopped.  I can wait, someday he will either blow the engine (then I get a good deal) or he get tired of it (unlikely) or it scares the crap out of him one too many times (likely) and he will contact me.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

I have owned some cars 3 or 4 times and somehow managed to make money each time I got them back and sold them again.
I have also passed on offers to buy back cars even for a good price just life style changes and was not into it anymore.