Emergency contacts between Galveston/Houston/Dallas & Denver

Started by Whee, September 05, 2018, 07:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

Hi,
My Moke has cleared customs. I'll be picking it up tomorrow
The current plan is to drive it to Dallas. In Dallas I will assess - depending on how the car is doing and how I feel, I will either continue drive to Denver or I have arranged temporary storage in Dallas from where I will get it shipped.

If you are on / near the route and willing to be an emergency contact in case of break-down/emergency parts need etc I'd very much appreciate it if you PM me your contact information.

Thanks!
-Peter

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

You could take TX19.......where in Houston do you pick up a car? Obviously at the port, but where is that?

I'm thinking if you make the 6 hour drive to Garland OK, the rest of the trip will be cake. A very long drive, but no worries.

Epic trip, hope you take lots of pics along the way.....wish I could be more help but I'm north and east of you once you leave Dallas (I'm in KC)

However, given your time restraints I wonder if it might be better to just ship it home?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

What's your estimated time frame for the drive from Galveston to Dallas?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Peter, with you schedule, it looks like you are going to hit some rain from Hurricane Gordon.  I've driven a Moke in the rain and it's certain that if it's raining outside, it will be raining inside the Moke too.  I suggest you take some new Mini windshield wipers with you - as you don't know the condition of the ones currently on the Moke and you won't be able to stop and get Mini ones at WalMart.  Pull wipers off another Mini of yours if you have to.  Also get some Rain-X and treat the Moke's windshield, inside and out.  Speaking of WalMart, you can purchase some wet weather gear there -  I was on a motorcycle trip once and hit unexpected rain -- found that they had competent wet gear that will do in a pinch.  Of course anyplace that sells hunting gear will have it too.  What can you do to make the Moke more visible to other traffic?  You will be at somewhat a disadvantage due to the Moke's dark color (and size) and it's miniature taillights.  Not much you can do about that, but perhaps consider temporarily fitting a flashing red LED such as bicyclists use, or have something day-glo colored at the rear? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

At your first stop for gas outside the port get a big gulp plastic cup to make a rain shield for the dist.

BruceK

Austria looks like fun!

Big plastic baggies to keep your paperwork dry (or a dry bag would be ideal)

How about some WD-40 to deal with water on the spark plug leads/distributor?  Won't be able to fly with that, but can get it locally.  Along with a can of Fix-a-flat too.  And maybe pick up a cheap socket set and some screwdrivers once you land?  And of course duct tape, just because.

There's a Harbor Freight that I think is on your way down to Galveston:  3235 Broadway St, Pearland, TX 77581

Maybe something like this would help too?  This one is self-powered  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F692CRB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07F692CRB&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a54d13fc-b8a1-4ce8-b285-d77489a09cf6&pf_rd_r=C426E1SVHMC8HRWH0BXN&pd_rd_wg=3KsZS&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=PgsDN&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=1f52a2de-b141-11e8-8e51-357518f34f72

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I would also recommend picking up a small gas can to have some along as "emergency" backup as you will not know how many mpg you will get, nor if the gauge is accurate.

Fill the can before reaching the port, so you have some for the Moke in order to get it to the first available gas station, then top up the Moke and the spare gas can.

MiniDave

A gallon of water is a good idea too, but you can easily get that there.

If it's under 200 you're OK, but unless you're really pushing it, it won't overheat - assuming the water pump is good, the v-belt is good, and the radiator isn't clogged.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Back when I was a Moke owner I drove my stock 850 Moke all over the Texas Hill Country in the summer and never once thought about overheating or had any cooling problems.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The great Moke Migration adventure should be underway now.  Hope things are going smoothly for Peter.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Hope he can post some pics along the way! Will you see the car tonight when he gets to Garland? It's just down the street, right?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes, it is close for both me and for Mark.  I an open to meet him and see his car if possible.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

A meet up would be cool.  Not sure on my schedule though.  Also probably depends on when he is flying to Sacramento and when he arrives in town.  So far I'm going with no news is good news.

BruceK

I checked the weather between Houston and Dallas a couple of times today.  Showers were on and off.   Maybe he missed most of them?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Glad to hear you made it ok.  Hope your flight goes well with this weather.  Bruce, don't you have a stock pile of those gaskets?  Lol.  Hope it all goes well.

gr8kornholio

BruceK

Yes I do have a bunch of new cork valve cover gaskets just sitting in my garage - so you are welcome to one if you need it.

Glad you made to Dallas okay.   Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Whee, did you decide if you are coming back or shipping it.  Getting some more nasty weather tonight and again tomorrow night. 

MiniDave

It's supposed to clear up here tomorrow afternoon, then be sunny for several days after that.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad