You Tube Rant

Started by MiniDave, August 31, 2018, 01:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I like You Tube (well, I used to anyway) I put lots of my little car vids on there so I can share them here or with the owners of the cars I'm working on, and I also like to just browse YouTube, cause you never know exactly what you're going to see  (wink wink, nudge nudge)

Officially there is no nudity on You Tube - unless -  you fall into certain categories. For example, plenty of loose boobies on the catwalk, so any fashion videos are bound to have a few free nips bouncing around. Art - of course - artworks are always allowed nudity unless you live too far into the "baable bealt". Dance - you can definitely have nudity in performance art. Political protests - women baring their chests to protest violence and such. Oh and body painting shows, seem to be a lot of those going on - not just down Duval street either.

But I digress.......

The point of my rant is YouTube commercials - now there have long been little pop ups around the video, many videos have a commercial you have to watch before the video will start - some make you wait thru the whole thing, others allow you to skip the ad after a 5 second intro - but those aren't what I'm angry about now. Those are bad enough....

I was trying to watch a Maria Bamford video - she has been one of my favorite comediennes for a long time now, and at the beginning there is a 30 second ad which I just mute and wait till it ends, but then about 1/4 of the way thru it stops and they run a goddam political ad! 30 seconds later the video resumes and about 1/2 of the way there's another! Damn!
This not only breaks the continuity of the show I'm trying to watch, but it also so distracts me so that I forget what she's talking about - which is important with Maria because a lot of her performances are sort of free form rambles thru her mind - kind of like Robin Williams did......

This is a new low for You tube, I've found them doing this on pretty much any video I try to watch now, whether it's a welding tutorial, a Mini build video or ..........anything. You have to opt in for this kind of commercial excess when you post your videos, on the pretext that if you get enough views they will pay you for allowing them to infest your vids with their advertising - but I seriously doubt any performer would agree to this kind of intrusiveness.

I don't opt in for the ads as I don't believe in it. I also don't like paying for video hosting (who does) or even video watching so I've resisted going to say Vimeo, plus You Tube had such huge variety of subject matter that it was entertaining to just see what popped up.

No more, they've turned it into a chore now.

Reminds me of when this whole internet thing started - first there were little ads on the sides, then ads on the top and bottom, then ads that would pop over what you were trying to read or watch and now there are so many damn ads that you can't even see the content. On top of that they make you change pages 100 times to read one damn article, all the time scrolling left and right, up and down to dodge the ads so you can see what they hell you're reading.

Now YouTube is doing the same thing. It's getting to the point that if I start to read something and the ads and vids start playing I just close the page.....which deprives both me and their advertisers. Lose/lose
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I've seen those totally random commercials pop up when I am watching YouTube too.  It's done very crudely - the video I'm watching does a flash cut to the commercial mid-sentence - without regard to context of what is being shown.  Then, when the stuck-in commercial is finally over, there is another flash cut right back to the original video.  Besides being extremely annoying, it is just so amateurish and money-grubbing too.

My limited understanding is that the person posting the video, agrees for YouTube to stick on the commercials. They are getting paid that way.   So, they are partly to blame.

Of course YouTube is trying to sell their subscription service, so making their free service suck is just a way to market the less-sucking paid service. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

A different YouTube rant:  If I am trying to watch a how-to video, or similar, what is the deal with a long-winded introduction?  I've seen some videos that have several minutes or more of just blah, blah, blah before they even start getting to the point.  This will be a shocking observation, but it's like some people just like hearing themselves talk.     :-[
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

;D ;D ;D ;D

I've just noticed the cut ins the last few days, the over dubs, under dubs and start commercials have been going on for a while.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I'm outraged also.   21.gif
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

MiniGene

This reminds me of an old bit on Conan O'Brien: Recliner of Rage

Check it out on......youtube!

tsumini

Well said Min Dave. too bad they don't hear. I'm data limited so I don't watch much video but the mid video ad intrusion is very annoying. It won't be long before oversatuation. They have to do it for their overvalued stock. It won't be long before the internet becomes unwatchable. The beginning internet was greatt for finding obscure information. Now a search is simply a list of places to buy stuff totaly unrelated to what the search was about.

BruceK I've had the same complaint. There's nothing worse than crummy video.
Pop up ads are the pits.

94touring

Quote from: MiniGene on August 31, 2018, 10:33:41 PM
This reminds me of an old bit on Conan O'Brien: Recliner of Rage

Check it out on......youtube!

Ha, I remember that!

gr8kornholio

I recently watched several crummy videos for tips on various mini things.  A lot miss labeled or just 90% blab.  The crazy ones were some of the rear hub bearing replacement.  These people used everything under the sun except a press or a brass drift to smash the races in.  Maybe I'm just overly careful, but I had no intention of damaging them and wearing them out early.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yeah, as I used to tell my students when they said they didn't need to read the manual, all they had to do was watch a YouTube vid - how do you know the guy doing the vid knows what he's doing? What if he's doing it wrong? How would you know?

It's kinda like Wikipedia, it's probably accurate.....mostly.   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad